    Instant Messenger). If I cancel my AOL service will I still be able to talk
    to my friends on AIM?

    Thanks.

    Guest, Oct 26, 2003

  2. With a new AIM account

    Nicolas Raimo, Oct 26, 2003

  3. no your suppose to be able to use your names from AOL with AIM, whether you
    cancel AOL or not. I have tons of friends who canceled AOL years ago and
    still use the same names with AIM.

    You 'Live' For It!, Oct 26, 2003
  4. Guest

    Mara Guest

    You can, although you _might_ have to get a new account for it. (I don't run it,
    so I can't tell you for sure about the account thing.) But depending on what
    version you're running, you may not want to.

    From the Security Alert Consensus, 10/23/03:

    *** {03.42.015} Win - AIM getfile operation screen name overflow

    AOL Instant Messenger version 5.2.3292 reportedly contains a buffer
    overflow in the handling of the screen name parameter passed to the
    getfile operation, thereby allowing a malicious Web site to potentially
    execute arbitrary code on the user's system.

    The advisory indicates confirmation vendor, which released version
    5.5.3415.

    Source: NTBugtraq
    http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/ntbugtraq/2003-q4/0059.html

    "I'd update, at the least, if you haven't. Just to be sure."

    Mara, Oct 26, 2003
  5. Guest

    Gil Guest

    Gil