Anyone using KDE 4.3 day to day?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lodi, Sep 30, 2009.

  1. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    Hi all....Is anyone using KDE 4.3 as their everyday desktop manager.

    With the release of (K)ubuntu 9.10 this month I'm wondering if it's time to
    finally make the move up from KDE3. I've tried KDE 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2 as they
    were released but they were all big fails as far as I was concerned (and
    judging by the forums quite a few others agreed with me). Nowhere near the
    class of KDE3.

    Apparently KDE4.x has had 2,000 "improvements" and 10,000 bug fixes in the
    last six months (which begs the question why did they release such a pile
    of in the first place)

    I'm thinking of doing a nice clean install of Karmic this time around as
    opposed to the upgrades I've been doing since Edgy. Can't decide whether to
    stick with KDE3, play around with KDE4.3 before the release or just say to
    hell with it, take the plunge and use KDE4.3 which is the default when
    installing Karmic.

    I hate being so far behind the development cycle as so many K programmes now
    have KDE4 versions with a lot more features than their no-longer-supported
    KDE3 versions....any KDE users thoughts appreciated (except for the
    obligatory KDE sux from Cliff :)

    Regards
    Lodi

    Lodi, Sep 30, 2009

  2. I'm still using 3, so without any experience of 4 ...
    I've seen few or no reasons why 4 is a good idea (ie what does it add ?). As
    you suggest, I've seen many comments that 4 is not good (and very few that
    it has anything extra to offer). Why would you want to ? :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 1, 2009

  3. Lodi

    John Little Guest

    While KDE 4.1 was a "disaster" (it just didn't work for me) 4.2 was
    not so bad at all, indeed I mostly fixed my broken KDE by installing
    4.2 when the developers released it. I still don't understand what
    KDE 4 plasmoids are about, but some of the compositing effects are a
    step forward.

    Regards, John

    John Little, Oct 1, 2009
  4. Lodi

    Enkidu Guest

    KDE sucks.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Oct 1, 2009
  5. Lodi

    Carnations Guest

    I think you'll find that each release achieved specific milestones in the development process, and that
    KDE 4.0 was the milestone where the APIs for KDE 4 were finalized.

    No I'm not using KDE 4 - still on KDE 3.5.9, but have KDE 4 installed so that I can use some of the KDE
    4 applications as they look nicer than the KDE 3 ones.

    Perhaps at the next release I'll move off of KDE 3 onto KDE 4.4.

    Carnations, Oct 1, 2009
  6. Lodi

    Carnations Guest

    Of course whether or not "sucking" is good or bad is entirely relative and context specific.

    Carnations, Oct 1, 2009
  7. Lodi

    Tony Manco Guest

    I can't compare with KDE 3 since I came from the Gnome land, but I've been
    running KDE 4.3.1 for about a month and it's working pretty nicely.

    In comparison to Gnome, I like KDE 4 a lot more...

    Cheers

    Tony Manco, Oct 1, 2009
  8. Lodi

    Gordon Guest

    As in blow job

    Gordon, Oct 2, 2009
  9. Lodi

    Carnations Guest

    Yes - that was true prior to the official release.

    But, post releasing 4.0 it was not only not alpha code, but also not beta code. It was an official release.

    While Microsoft code might be alpha quality when it sells a new major version release [WIN95A,
    WinNT5.0 (2000), WinNT6.0 (Vi$ta)] I'm not convinced that the same can be said for any of the
    mainstream OSS projects. They tend to cut releases when they're ready.

    Carnations, Oct 3, 2009
  10. Lodi

    Carnations Guest

    You seem to be very belligerent and antagonistic when I was merely politely saying what version of
    KDE I was presently using and what I was likely to do when I next upgrade the distro I'm using on this
    computer.

    Do you have a fundamental problem with people stating actual real world facts about what they're
    actually using and what they're thinking they move on to use next?

    Carnations, Oct 3, 2009
  11. Lodi

    Carnations Guest

    Of course whether or not "sucking" is good or bad is entirely relative and context specific.

    That may be your thinking on the matter, but I was not wanting to pull the thread down in that
    direction, ;o)

    Carnations, Oct 3, 2009
  12. Lodi

    Biggless Guest

    Well the next SUSe release wont have kde3 so that decision has already
    been made for you ... its great the freedom of choice isnt it.
    Also if you cant handle my antagonistic linux comments you dont have to
    read them..................
    Im still waiting for the orgasmic bliss you claimed kde4.4 would bring to
    the world ..ie some real world facts.Just turned out to be more linux
    vaporware several years on .. cough cough.

    Bigggles ..

    Biggless, Oct 4, 2009
  13. Lodi

    Biggless Guest

    Yep officially released & little more than alpha code ...
    When has MS have ever sold software similar to the pulse audio / kde4...
    kde4.2xxx crap ! Your still in windows98 lalala land lennier.

    Regarding EXt4 & after reading the dev's comment that all desktop users
    using ext4 & 60 second commit times & must be using a UPS . It's clear
    that linux is out of touch with reality with the desktop market.. period
    OSS projects. They tend to cut releases when they're ready.

    By ready ... you mean when they released opensuse 11 ... & recent
    Fedora's / Ubuntu's.

    And the fsck / file system time stamp issue that's survived all the way
    into milestone m7 / m8's, that doesn't give me much faith in 11.2 code
    quality. But I sure as hell would luv to get rid of the ext3 from 11.1

    Quote: Torvalds .. kde4 was a disaster ...

    Biggles ......

    Biggless, Oct 4, 2009
  14. Lodi

    Gunnar Gren Guest

    But you can still install KDE 3.x or any other window manager.
    It sure is.

    Gunnar Gren, Oct 5, 2009
  15. Lodi

    Sailor Sam Guest

    I've been waiting for someone to point that out.

    Sailor Sam, Oct 5, 2009