    suggestionsof name brand lenses or extender etc .

    thanks
    irish1ear

    IRISH1EAR, Aug 8, 2003

  2. When are people going to learn that extenders are a total waste of
    money?

    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 8, 2003

  3. IRISH1EAR

    dslr Guest

    Really?
    What leads you to that conclusion?

    dslr, Aug 8, 2003
  4. IRISH1EAR

    Bill Hilton Guest

    From: Randall Ainsworth
    Maybe you're using cheap lenses to start with and the extenders just magnify
    your problems, but if you have really good glass like fixed focal length Canon
    "L" lenses then the image quality with the 1.4x is pretty much
    indistinguishable from the lens without the converter, and the 2x on a really
    super chunk of glass like the 300 f/2.8 or 500 f/4 (which I own) still gives
    excellent results.

    I agree that on something like the 75-300 the t/c image quality is suspect, and
    even with my 100-400 "L" I don't like to use a t/c, but on the best zooms like
    the 70-200 "L" (either f/2.8 or f/4) the 1.4 works well, and on the super
    tele's both converters work well because the optics of the lens are so good to
    begin with. I've even stacked the 1.4x and 2x on the 500 f/4 L IS to get
    1,400 mm at f/11 with surprisingly good results.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Aug 8, 2003
  5. IRISH1EAR

    Scott Ranger Guest

    is anyone using the 2x or 1x4 extender , if so what kind of results or
    perhaps
    I bought the 70-200 f/2.8 L IS and the EF 2x II to take on my trip to Africa
    in June. What a great decision to make! The lens by itself is *incredible*
    and the photos with the extender are great. When I zoom in with Photoshop,
    *my* eyes find it difficult to discern an *appreciable* difference in
    quality between the zoom alone and the zoom with the extender. Some of you
    have the eyes of a hawk and can split pixels at 500 yards. Mine aren't that
    good. The photos I print out at 11 x 17 on my Epson 1270 get serious *wows!*
    from nearly every viewer. And I like them a great deal.

    All that being said, the advice to stay away from the 2x and the f/4 lens is
    a good one.

    Scott

    Scott Ranger, Aug 8, 2003
  6. When are people going to learn that extenders are a total waste of
    They turn a great lens into a fuzzy piece of crap while losing a few
    stops in the bargain.

    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 8, 2003
  7. And your basis for this *strong* conclusion is.....
    Experience. You're telling me that extenders do not degrade any lens'
    performance and that you don't sacrifice a few stops (depending on the
    multiplier)?

    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 9, 2003
  8. IRISH1EAR

    Scott Ranger Guest

    *What* experience? Can you show a comparison of shots you've made with and
    without the extender on a quality lens that will demonstrate what your
    *strong* conclusion says?

    What I am saying, is that *my* eyes have a difficult time discerning an
    *appreciable* difference in the quality of a Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS with
    and without the EF 2x II extender. Is there a difference? Yes. Does the
    extender degrade the performance of the primary lens? Yes. Does it degrade
    the lens to the point where it is "a total waste of money?" Well, for me,
    no. It was a *wonderful* addition to my arsenal of lenses on safari in
    Africa this past June. It allowed me shots that I otherwise would not have
    been able to make. For example, I don't have two cameras around my neck with
    long and longer lenses on at all times while bouncing around on the dirt
    roads of Chobe National Park in Botswana. I got some shots of red-billed
    oxpeckers on the back of reticulated giraffes that if you looked at them by
    themselves you'd *never* say they were taken with a 2x extender.

    All of life if full of compromises. If you have the money to not have to
    deal with compromises, I envy you. I don't, and the combination of the great
    Canon lens and great Canon extender helped me accomplish what I wanted. Are
    they perfect? Of course not! Galen Rowell seemed to *never* consider a
    picture perfect. He *always* complained about his shots. Oh, that mine were
    as nice.

    My advice to all: know the limitations of your own vision first, and then
    your equipment. We're *all* limited. Those of us that know, or can find out,
    our limitations are way ahead of the rest.

    Scott

    Scott Ranger, Aug 9, 2003
  9. *What* experience? Can you show a comparison of shots you've made with and
    How about 37 years of experience doing various types of photography?
    I have not personally wasted my money on such gadgets.

    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 9, 2003
  10. IRISH1EAR

    dslr Guest

    So, therefore, you have no experience or, even, knowledge of Canon
    extenders that were designed as part of the overall optical system when
    used with specific lenses in Canon's range. What an excellent basis for
    such a blanket statement?

    I don't deny that there are extenders/teleconverters that are indeed
    crap, but the OP wasn't asking about them.

    dslr, Aug 9, 2003
  11. IRISH1EAR

    David Grandy Guest

    I'd have no fear in adding a 1.4 TC to my stock. As a matter of fact it's
    probably going to be my next purchase. That would give me a 100 to 280
    optical reach with my 70-200 f2.8L. Then when you add the compensation for
    the 10D's smaller CMOS it'd make an effective 160 to 400 f4.

    Everything I've ever read about the Canon multipliers have been very
    positive. I've used a Nikkor TC201 for well over a decade with both a
    Nikkor 180 and a Nikkor 300 f2.8. That TC isn't even supposed to be used
    with the 300 - the TC301 is - but I've never had any problems with sharpness
    or vignetteing at all. I would only expect the Canon to be as good.

    One of the things that makes Multipliers/TC's unsharp is a design flaw. The
    flaw isn't in the lens/TC or even the camera body. The flaw is that the
    user refuses to use a tripod or even a monopod to support the camera! Funny
    but this lack of sharpness is also directly proportional to the focal length
    of the lens. A friend of mine once bitterly complained about how soft his
    new Nikkor 180 ED was. I stuck it and a camera body onto a tripod and did
    some shots which of course were tack sharp. He hadn't used a lens of this
    length before and was handholding it at relatively slow shutterspeeds.
    Those shutterspeeds were OK when he was using his 105 but weren't enough for
    the longer 180. The fix for him was using faster shutterspeeds when he was
    handholding it and a tripod/monopod whenever he could. So before you
    believe anyone tells you that a Multiplier/TC is soft ask them what
    shutterspeed they were using and whether the tripod was sturdy.

    David Grandy, Aug 9, 2003
  12. IRISH1EAR

    Don Coon Guest

    Oops, make that an 1150x767 crop. Damn IE6 resizes the image to fit the
    display.

    Don Coon, Aug 9, 2003
  13. IRISH1EAR

    Kenny Guest

    I equal you Randal in the number of years with photography, but I don't
    regard numbers of years as a measure of expertise (as you prove). The
    extenders are not gadgets. They were designed by Canon specifically for
    use with the L series lenses. I could pass your comments to all the pros
    at my next motorsport shoot (Sunday) and let them know that you think
    they have wasted their money on extender gadgets. I am sure they will be
    as amused as I am. But there again, your opinion doesn't matter to them,
    or to me, in this respect.

    I use the x1.4 or x2.0 with my 500L but tend only to use the x1.4 with
    my 100-400L. 90% of my work is outdoors at motor racing circuits,
    usually with decent light, so losing a couple of stops isn't a big
    worry. You can of course push the ISO to at least 400 which helps. The
    x1.4 also goes really well with the Sigma 70-200 or their 50-500, both
    of which are at the better end of non-Canon lenses. The biggest issue
    can be the loss of AF, but we all know how to manually focus - yes?
    IS will work however, and that is worth its weight in gold if you have
    to hand-hold the lens with a TC.

    My recommendation is to keep a x1.4 in your kit bag, but remember it
    will not fit all lenses due to it protruding into the bottom of the
    lens. You could do serious damage to say a 75-300IS when the rear
    element crashes down onto the extender. You could of course use Kenko or
    Tamron extenders without the protrusion, but the quality is not as good
    as the Canon versions.

    Kenny

    Kenny, Aug 9, 2003
  14. IRISH1EAR

    Scott Ranger Guest

    Thanks Kenny, for the superb response. I knew if I asked the right question,
    he'd hang himself on his own rope.
    Scott

    Scott Ranger, Aug 9, 2003
  15. Thanks Kenny, for the superb response. I knew if I asked the right question,
    You boys can go right ahead and spend your money on whatever you
    want. I choose not to spend mine on tele-extenders by any
    manufacturer.

    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 9, 2003