    Any experiences with this camera? It's fairly expensive so I'd like
    some advice.

    thanks

    Carol, Nov 7, 2003

  2. Haven't you got a "continuous" function on your camera? i like that very
    much on my G5.
    Don't know about the lens (i do not think C5060 is out yet, is it?), but the
    largest aperture is F2.8, which is not very much (most digicams have this).
    You could always use a higher ISO, but as with C5050, you will probably get
    at lot of noise.

    Morten Bested, Nov 7, 2003

  3. Carol

    gr Guest

    If you're shooting outdoors, you can always use a pre-set manual focus. If
    you set it to the hyperfocal distance with a reasonable f-stop, you'll be
    able to catch any action without the shutter delay.
    Yeah, I don't particularly like the slow f2.8 of the C-5060. Shooting at
    anything other than ISO64 or ISO100 will show noise. Then again, f2.8 isn't
    much of a concern if your main use of the camera is outdoors.

    gr, Nov 7, 2003
  4. Carol

    Carol Guest

    Since I do plan on both indoor and outdoor photography perhaps this
    isn't the best camera for me. The thing that attracted me was the
    short lag time between shots. Are there any other cameras that have
    similar lag times? Using the continuous funtion is good for action
    shots but not for normal photography. I just don't want to HAVE to
    wait so long between shots.

    Carol, Nov 8, 2003
  5. Carol

    gr Guest

    You realize you can get rid of almost all the lag by pre-focusing first,
    right? Just press the shutter half-way down to focus, then press it the rest
    of the way to shoot (without delay). Or, use manual focus as I described
    earlier.

    IMO, the continuous focus isn't much use for reducing shutter lag, at least
    on the C-5050. It's great for maintaining focus when shooting movies, but it
    doesn't seem to reduce lag very much when shooting still pictures.

    I think the only way you're going to get rid of all lag is to shoot in
    manual mode (or prefocus). If you're into manual focusing, then a SLR makes
    more sense than a all-in-one camera. Autofocus will always result in shutter
    lag.

    gr, Nov 8, 2003
  6. Carol

    Michael Guest

    Try looking at the Fuji Finepix S7000 camera. I'm checking it out myself.
    BestBuy has them in stock, but i'm waiting for some feedback .....

    Michael, Nov 9, 2003
  7. Carol

    Jerry Nash Guest

    You should try using manual focus.

    Jerry Nash, Nov 13, 2003
  8. Carol

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Sheesh. If autofocus is too slow, how do you expect one to focus
    manually quickly enough.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 14, 2003
  9. Ever hear of zone focus ?????? Works for most sports situations.

    Jackof-the-Dust, Nov 14, 2003
  10. Carol

    Leo R. Guest

    OK, you've got me!! Tell me about Zone Focus please.

    Leo R., Nov 14, 2003
  11. Carol

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Sports is one thing, children are quite another. By the time one gets
    focused, the child is gone, or has stopped doing what you wanted to
    photograph. Sports, by comparison, are relatively predictable.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 14, 2003
  12. For that matter so are children. A zone of sharp focus exists in every
    camera, and is largest in digital ameras due to the short focal length of
    the lenses in use. Google on information on Depth of Field for Digital
    Cameras and set the focal point at a place where the action should occur. I
    raised three boys and at the time was a military photographer. Used zone
    focus in many instances photographing them, and they sure did not have MS or
    were in wheel chairs.
    I think that you will find that most photographers in the know and for that
    matter the Paparazzi use this technique and tell me anything predictable
    about what they are doing?

    Jackof-the-Dust, Nov 14, 2003