anyone tried poundland Cat5e cables?

Discussion in 'Broadband' started by Gordon Freeman, Mar 11, 2014.

  1. Poundland are selling 1m Cat5e ethernet cables for, well, a quid,
    anyone know if they're good value or ropey?

    Gordon Freeman, Mar 11, 2014

  2. Gordon Freeman

    David Guest

    At a £1, just try one.
    The £1 HDMi cable I bought there is ok, just wish they had a 2 metre as
    well.
    Regards
    David

    David, Mar 11, 2014

  3. Gordon Freeman

    Woody Guest

    You can get decent and inexpensive HDMI cables <that work>
    from Toolstation or Screwfix.

    Woody, Mar 11, 2014
  4. Gordon Freeman

    David Guest

    Actually got the 2 metre one off Ebay extremely cheap and it included
    postage and delivered next day, makes you wonder how cheap they are at the
    factory, by the way works well as well.
    Regards
    David

    David, Mar 11, 2014
  5. Gordon Freeman

    MikeS Guest

    Yes and also various other ethernet cables in various lengths from there.
    Never noticed any problems over many years.

    MikeS, Mar 11, 2014
  6. Gordon Freeman

    Andy Burns Guest

    Seems they sold 5m ones for the same price the last couple of years.
    Searching their site turns up hdmi, usb, aerial, scart and audio cables,
    but no ethernet cables at the moment.

    This one uses a strange definition of "splitter"
    <http://www.poundland.co.uk/signalex-audio-splitter-cable-0-8m>

    Andy Burns, Mar 11, 2014
  7. Gordon Freeman

    Woody Guest

    message

    Well, it splits a single plug into two doesn't it?

    Woody, Mar 11, 2014
  8. Gordon Freeman

    Andy Burns Guest

    Perhaps "separator" would be a better word?

    Andy Burns, Mar 11, 2014
  9. Theo Markettos, Mar 11, 2014
  10. R. Mark Clayton, Mar 11, 2014
  11. It splits a 3.5m stereo jack into separate left and right on phono (although
    the text says 3.5mm jack plugs)

    I have two, but not from Poundland.

    CPC do these cheaper too apart from the gold plated all over one: -
    http://cpc.farnell.com/_/759-495/adaptor-phono-to-3-5mm/dp/AV11816

    R. Mark Clayton, Mar 11, 2014
  12. Richard Tobin, Mar 11, 2014
  13. Gordon Freeman

    Adrian C Guest

    Except for sales...

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Advent-A5BLU2M12-CAT-5e-Ethernet-Cable-Blue-New-/121277745020

    2m for 99p delivered.

    They had 5m for 99p a couple of months ago. I cleaned up and bought my
    lifetimes worth in fetching red. Mind ye, probably CCA but OK on gigabit
    so far.

    Also found 5m Belkin Cat5e in Poundland last month, plus a nice
    goldplated Belkin 3.5mm to phono, heavy cable for the same price.
    Although good looking, neither really worth the cost of fuel or burning
    vital calories from ya breakfast.

    Adrian C, Mar 11, 2014
  14. Mike Tomlinson, Mar 12, 2014
  15. Gordon Freeman

    Davey Guest

    Google CCA:
    "CCA is the leader in partnership corrections. "
    "Coastal Conservation Association Texas".
    "CCA is Glasgow’s hub for creative activity."
    "Company Chemists' Association".
    "Centre for Contemporary Arts".

    Which one is the problem for patch cables?

    Davey, Mar 12, 2014
  16. Any bets on what's inside Poundland's finest?

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Mar 12, 2014
  17. Gordon Freeman

    Graham J Guest

    The primary cost of a short cat5 cable is in the sales process -
    labelling, shipping, inventory, etc.; after that in the actual assembly
    and test of the connectors onto the cable. All these are substantially
    fixed. The only variable is the length of the cable, so reducing its
    cost isn't going to make much difference.

    If you want better value, buy several from a reputable supplier and
    amortise the very likely fixed delivery charge over a reasonable number
    of cables.

    Graham J, Mar 12, 2014
  18. Sorry last time we bought some we bought 60, some in different colours.

    BTW, if you can manage with a shorter cable then they are even cheaper.

    R. Mark Clayton, Mar 12, 2014
  19. :)

    I think we know already!

    Mike Tomlinson, Mar 12, 2014
  20. Gordon Freeman

    kraftee Guest

    Or the ones which have a twisted aluminium and nylon core

    kraftee, Mar 12, 2014