    k9nick Guest

    Oh sure I still got one. But I have a laptop. My partner has a lap
    top. and the flippin kids gettin his own laptop too. Desktops dying ?

    k9nick, Oct 22, 2006

  2. k9nick

    juicyjuice Guest

    I have 2 laptops, but no desktops arn't dying.. I find laptops overheat and
    slow down when doing intensive tasks which require alot of applications open
    at once, like graphic design, unless you fork out 4 grand for a laptop that
    weighs a ton, but for 4 grand you can get a mean-as desktop workstation.

    juicyjuice, Oct 22, 2006

  3. k9nick

    Zeus Guest

    You here this rubbish all the time. When you have scanners, large printers
    and other preipherals
    attached, it's a pain the reconnect each time. Laptops are fine for basic
    work, but try doing CAD work
    or graphics on them.

    Zeus, Oct 22, 2006
  4. k9nick

    Adam Cameron Guest

    Oh sure I still got one. But I have a laptop. My partner has a lap
    Work provides with a laptop, and that's the only PC I have these days. In
    the office I always use it as basically just the "box", having external
    monitor, mouse and keyboard plugged in. At home I have yet to get an
    external screen, but still plug a "proper" mouse and keyboard in.

    At home I mostly use it as a DVD player: I don't own a TV.

    I guess I *do* use it atop of my lap occasionally in the morning and
    evening when on the (1hr+) train trip to/from work.

    If I was purchasing my own computer I'd still buy a desktop... I find
    laptops a bit annoying to use unless I have all the other human I/O devices
    plugged in. I use the laptop @ home because I *can* (if that makes sense),
    so it would seem to be a waste of money to buy a second PC when I can get
    by with the lappy.

    Adam Cameron, Oct 22, 2006
  5. k9nick

    Zipper Guest

    They are gaining momentum but will always drag behind performance wise
    compared to desktops. Gamers won't go near them (I mean real gamers).

    The latest and greatest graphics card running in SLI just isnt possible
    in a laptop due to heat, room and the power needed.

    Their hard drives are slow and small and you are limited on how many you
    can have in there.

    Laptops are great for certain things but for others they don't come
    close to desktops.

    Zipper, Oct 22, 2006
  6. k9nick

    zipdisk Guest

    No Toy computers are not the ones to get, you do seem way way out of touch with computers, and
    what really is a Fast computer..

    zipdisk, Oct 22, 2006
  7. k9nick

    XPD Guest

    Depends what you want from a computer.
    If youre a gaming/video nut, then desktop still the way to go.

    XPD, Oct 22, 2006
  8. k9nick

    MaHogany Guest

    Not in my house.

    But I don't use M$ Windows. The only machine with ANY version of M$
    Windows installed is now sitting in the back of the wardrobe.

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Oct 22, 2006
  9. k9nick

    Earl Grey Guest

    The guy asks a sensible question and you attempt to belittle him
    Nasty as ever, Woger.

    Earl Grey, Oct 22, 2006
  10. Yes. They'll always remain a significant part of the market, but you
    only have to look at Apple to see where things are headed. Last quarter
    over 60% of the Macs Apple shipped were laptops.

    Roger Johnstone, Oct 23, 2006
  11. k9nick

    Crash Guest

    While laptops are getting more competitively priced, the fact remains that for a
    given amount to spend a desktop will deliver superior performance but the laptop
    will deliver superior portability. Its the performance gap that varies and the
    significance of worse performance versus portability for the buyer.

    The other consideration is upgradibility. With a desktop it is relatively easy
    to upgrade (or just add) hardware on a unit basis (i.e. upgrade the motherboard,
    add disk etc. With a laptop these options are far more limited or simply not
    possible due to the space and weight constraints and proprietary design of most
    laptop hardware.

    So, IMHO, the desktop versus laptop argument is primarily portability:

    - If you intend to use the computer in a fixed location then why would you opt
    for the expense, poor performance and inflexible-upgrade-path of a laptop?

    - If you need portable computing then a laptop is really the only choice - but
    be prepared to pay extra for a poorer-performer that is light in weight and uses
    proprietary hardware (at least mostly).

    Crash.

    Crash, Oct 23, 2006
  12. k9nick

    -=rjh=- Guest

    That'll be because the imacs are so damned ugly :)

    -=rjh=-, Oct 23, 2006
  13. I'd have to agree with that. When the G4 iMacs came out, I just had to have
    one. But those G5 lantern-jawed boxes just leave me cold.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 23, 2006

  14. How the hell did you manage to make this aM$ versus Linux comment?

    wogers nemesis, Oct 23, 2006
  15. At work you get a laptop if you really need the portability...

    There are quite a few downsides of laptops:

    1) People drop them
    2) They get stolen more
    3) The parts for them cost more
    4) The whole units cost more
    5) The batteries can be expensive and can be faulty
    6) Overheating issues
    7) They go home and get screwed over by kids
    8) You shell out alot of extra money for stuff such as extra
    batteries/docking stations/wireless setups/extra LCD screen
    9) Performance or lack there of
    10) Upgrades are a pain in the backside
    11) People want a laptop and a desktop

    The advantages should be obvious..

    wogers nemesis, Oct 23, 2006
  16. k9nick

    Richard Guest

    Overpriced for the specs, but it seems its the only way to get a decent
    res'ed lcd without it being a monster sized one.

    Cant upgrade them, which I think is why they outsell desktops since the
    desktop can typically have 2-3 upgrade cycles before its put out for the
    inorganic collection, whereas a laptop just has to be sold off and
    another bought. However crappy laptops hold their value a lot better
    then crappy desktops so thats not as bad as it could be.

    Richard, Oct 23, 2006
  17. k9nick

    juicyjuice Guest

    not surprising coming from him, most of his posts are very biased,
    off-point/topic, repeatitive and a waste of bandwidth - thankfully I don't
    see them anymore except in replies.
    1 of my laptops runs fedora, maybe that will make him feel better lol

    juicyjuice, Oct 23, 2006
  18. k9nick

    Earl Grey Guest

    Earl Grey, Oct 23, 2006
  19. The only advantage i see for laptops is the mobility factor, other than
    that the screen is too small, you can't type on the keyboard for long
    periods of time unless you get a docking station, the batteries don't
    last that long and overall it is slower that a PC and for a fraction of
    the cost you can buy a grunty desktop PC. I don't see the desktop going
    away anytime soon.

    aldrin fabricius, Oct 23, 2006
  20. k9nick

    Craig Shore Guest

    I was thinking that too when I read that!
    No, because you just implied that you have other machines that are running MS
    OS's, and that's unacceptable.

    Craig Shore, Oct 23, 2006