Anyone run into similar trouble?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Gerry Wolf, Sep 16, 2004.

  1. Gerry Wolf

    Gerry Wolf Guest

    I just received my new mobo today, FIC AU13, set up with a AMD XP3200
    processor and 512 mb or DDR3200 Ram. I then placed my video card and sound
    cards in the box, figuring I'd just use the onboard lan. I installed a brand
    new Western Digital 160 gb hard drive and the first problem was the freaking
    floppy wouldn't work!! I wanted to use the Win 98 setup disk to format the
    HD. Any ideas there? I noticed the light on, which normally indicates the
    cable reversed, but even after I switched it around, the light stayed on.
    Reversed on the board? I don't know anymore. Anyway, I booted from the
    Western Digital CD and then had no idea what was up, called their tech
    support and was told to load Windows XP Pro. I placed that CD into the drive
    and it began the installation process. Now even that takes a dump....the
    error message is:

    STOP: 0x000000CA (0x8236003, 0x82340C08, 0x00000000)

    Anyone have any idea what that's all about?

    Any help will be appreciated...I searched Microsoft's Knowlege base for the
    error, no luck.

    Gerry Wolf

    Gerry Wolf, Sep 16, 2004

  2. Gerry Wolf

    °Mike° Guest

    You need to physically sort your system out. STOP: 0x000000CA
    indicates a fatal Plug and Play error. This is the only article
    that I could find on the MS KB:

    Inserting the Same SmartMedia Adapters Causes a "Stop
    0x000000CA" Error Message
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326457

    If the above article doesn't specifically apply to you, it
    should still give you an idea of where to start troubleshooting.

    °Mike°, Sep 16, 2004

  3. Gerry Wolf

    Smoker Guest

    If you put your old floppy drive in, newer motherboards often don't like
    them for some reason. The fix is to buy any type of new one. Could this be
    the fatal plug and play error that Mike refers to?

    Smoker, Sep 16, 2004
  4. Gerry Wolf

    Frank Guest

    I would remove the sound card untill you have the system running - one less
    thing to troubleshoot.

    I installed a brand
    Most cables have a red trace, that's pin #1 - make sure it's matched the MB
    to floppy and then you need to go into the MB BIOS and set that up for:
    master or slave, type and size of the floppy. If you already did that it
    could be a bad MB. Like what's mention above you need to sort out all the
    hardware settings first.

    Anyway, I booted from the
    Have you install the MB support disk? With the WD CD you should be able to
    to partition and format much easier and faster than FDISK or Win XP. Also
    look for a utility in the WD CD to transfer all the files from the old drive
    to the new drive. I did that with Win XP without reactivation!

    .....the error message is:

    Frank, Sep 17, 2004
  5. Gerry Wolf

    midiweb

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    hi, I have a similar problem. I connected two 160GB sata HDD, a Samsung SP1614C and a WD 1600.
    I tried to install Ubuntu Hardy Heron om my second HDD, the WD. On the first HDD I have Xp pro SP2.
    What happens now ist very strange. When I start Xp, I got a blue screen with the error message STOP 0x000000CA and this Plug and Play error.
    But when I unplug the second HDD, Xp starts without problem.
    I would like to recover firstly my data on my second HDD. How to do that please?
    I think that the partition table is broken or disturbed and it happened after I had installed Ubuntu. It may occur because there are too mny partitions.
    Who can help me please? Thanks

    midiweb, Aug 21, 2008