    yourself the indignity of stooping to reply. This means I'd just like
    to hear from camera owners who actually have dealt with off-center
    tripod mounts.

    mutefan, Jan 18, 2007

  2. mutefan

    y_p_w Guest

    Well - I have tried some of the shorter pocket tripods, and that seems
    to help with off center mounts. Even if they aren't perfectly
    balanced, they don't usually topple over with the short legs. I also
    bought this cheap pocket tripod with wire (think bendable desk lamps)
    legs that I could bend in such a way to counteract the off-center
    mount. I'd just make sure one/two of the legs were bent away from the
    legs.

    Of course a weighted down tripod will probably suffice. The large
    majority of off-center mounts are in compact cameras.

    I also use a monopod. Of course that forces me to hold onto the
    camera so balancing it isn't really an issue.

    y_p_w, Jan 19, 2007

  3. mutefan

    Roy G Guest

    If you don't want any of the folk on this group who actually know what they
    are talking about to respond, then so be it.

    However you would then never get to know about the Giotto Sliding Camera
    Mounting Plates.

    You should be aware before you go and buy one, that you do need a suitable
    tripod, complete with a head, to mount it upon.

    Please don't come back and ask which size of screw fits your Camera Base
    Plate.

    Zen master Roy

    Roy G, Jan 19, 2007
  4. mutefan

    Doug Robbins Guest

    That would be a very small number of folks.

    Doug Robbins, Jan 19, 2007
  5. Probably true. While I did film photography for many years, I feel like
    a beginner all over again with a digital camera. Still, I see people
    post things that are clearly inaccurate, so like every other Usenet
    group, I have to be careful about acting on what I read.

    On the original post: I have a cheap monopod from WalMart that's
    sufficient for steadying my camera in most low light conditions. I've
    also used immovable objects (tree, fence, telephone pole) to steady my
    camera when I've left my monopod at home.

    Pat O'Connell, Jan 19, 2007
  6. mutefan

    Bill Funk Guest

    I'm not understanding your problem.Every tripod I've seen lets you
    tighten the mounting bolt so that the camera won't move, offset
    mounting hole on the camera or not.
    Is your camera/tripod not capable of this?
    I'm not sure what you mean here.
    I have an FX01, so I meet your requirements.
    I often wonder about people who ask for help, then decide beforehand
    who they will accept help from. Usually, IME, such people aren't
    really willing to learn anything beyond their immediate needs.
    Such people have empty refrigerators, if you take my meaning.

    --
    Angelina Jolie moved into
    a mansion in New Orleans

    Bill Funk, Jan 19, 2007
  7. mutefan

    J. Clarke Guest

    Until I got my 30D I normallyI used a Leica M3, which has an
    off-center mount (it's as far from center as it can get and still fit
    on the camera). I never had to do anything special to put it on a
    tripod, just screwed it down and shot. When there was a problem it
    was not because of the offset attachment, it was because the tripod
    was a piece of crap that wouldn't hold a center mount steady either.

    ..

    J. Clarke, Jan 19, 2007
  8. mutefan

    Roy G Guest

    Hi Bill

    I think we, and all other semi intelligent, readers know that what he is
    looking for is totally pointless.

    My ancient Velbon has a platform that is 2.5 x 2.2 inches, and the screw
    sits in a slot 1.5 inches long. I have used it complete with a Nikon FE and
    200 f4 lens in the portrait format, without any slipping.

    If that is incapable of holding any Canon P & S steady, no matter the
    inclination of the head, or the position of the tripod socket, then I am as
    complete a numpty as he is.

    I suspect he has not read my response about Giotto Quick Release & Sliding
    Mounts, I've probably been KFd.

    I rather like the description of Zen Master, but feel it is a bit above my
    true position.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Jan 19, 2007
  9. mutefan

    mutefan Guest

    Really? That makes me feel better. (Lucky you, to get a 30D.)

    The Canon tech support guy said he and a colleague couldn't figure out
    why Canon chose to put the mount in the corner, and he also mentioned a
    Leica.

    I did an Amazon search and found several sliding mount attachments, but
    how do you know if your mount takes a 1/4 screw or a 3/8? Is the
    measurement the width of the "hole" in the camera base or something
    else? I measured my A710's tripod mount and didn't come up with
    exactly 1/4 or 3/8.

    Finally, what's the difference between a Hogen (sp?) and a Giotto?
    Thanks.

    mutefan, Jan 19, 2007
  10. mutefan

    Roy G Guest

    Hi all.

    I bloody knew it.

    I knew he would ask if his camera took a 1/4 or 3/8 Screw.

    Zen ( Soothsayer) Master Roy

    Roy G, Jan 20, 2007
  11. It's almost certainly a 1/4" screw. Measure the hole again; if it's a
    little bit smaller than 1/4", it's sized for a 1/4" screw. If you want
    to be sure, take your camera to a hardware store or a Home Depot or some
    place where they sell screws loose in bins. Find a 1/4-20 screw and see
    if it threads into the tripod mount.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Jan 20, 2007
  12. mutefan

    Scott W Guest

    I have a compact camera with an way offset tripod mount, makes a lot of
    sense in this
    case since the tripod mounting hole is directly below the shutter
    button. If the mounting hole were in the center of the camera I would
    torque the camera when pushing the shutter.

    All you need is a decent tripod, nothing else, but if you don't want to
    believe this oh well, have a wonderful life.

    Scott

    Scott W, Jan 20, 2007
  13. mutefan

    J. Clarke Guest

    1/4 is "standard" for digital and 35mm, 3/8 would be for larger
    formats that need a stronger screw.

    If you're not sure, go down to the hardware store, Home Despot or
    whatever and get a 1/4-20 machine screw and see if it screws into the
    camera. Don't tighten it though--some cameras don't have much
    material at the end of the screw hole.
    Hogen? You mean Bogen? One of the major brands. Giotto is another.
    As to the difference, both make a wide range of tripods, you really
    need to read the detailed specs.

    J. Clarke, Jan 20, 2007
  14. mutefan

    mutefan Guest

    Thanks to you and Dan, I'm keeping my A710. I only asked about the
    difference between the Bogen and the Giotto because I didn't realize
    the Giotto on Amazon is made of cork, which is obviously why it's so
    cheap.

    mutefan, Jan 20, 2007
  15. mutefan

    Bill Funk Guest

    WTF??
    Giotto doesn't make any tripods made of cork.

    Bill Funk, Jan 20, 2007
  16. mutefan

    ASAAR Guest

    I considered replying "BALSA!!!" earlier this morning, but didn't,
    thinking that most would read it too literally. :) Decent tripods
    sometimes use cork on their camera plates to provide a better grip,
    at least until the cork eventually hardens some years (decades) down
    the line. Some Giottos use cork, but that "obviously" isn't why a
    particular Giotto specimen would be sold "cheap". With its "give",
    cork would probably be just what one would want for a camera having
    its tripod mount offset to the corner, and this is one product that
    might deservedly have a restocking fee. <g>

    ASAAR, Jan 20, 2007
  17. mutefan

    Bill Funk Guest

    That makes sense - the cork on the plate.
    It's becoming more and more obvious that mutefan has no idea what he's
    into.

    Bill Funk, Jan 20, 2007
  18. mutefan

    Roy G Guest

    It's becoming more and more obvious that mutefan has no idea what he's
    Hi.

    That has been rather obvious for a long time, ever since his posts
    concerning the Rebel, & EOS's.

    What he has not realised yet, is that with a small camera on a tripod, the
    offset bush is actually a benefit. It makes it much easier to get your eye
    to the VF window.

    If he gets a Quick release system with sliding plates, can you imagine the
    questions about how to fit them together, and get them onto the head.

    At least it all stops him taking pictures, because as soon as he does start
    we are all going to pestered into looking at them on some site or other.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Jan 20, 2007
  19. mutefan

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    If you're bemoaning the fact that you have a tiny tripod that falls over
    when your camera is mounted to it because the center of gravity is all
    wrong, then just hold on to the camera while it's mounted. Tiny tripods
    are only supposed to provide a little bit of stability.

    If you're bemoaning the fact that it doesn't 'look right' to have a
    camera mounted off-center on a bigger tripod, then you bought the wrong
    camera.

    If you absolutely, absolutely MUST have your tiny camera lined up in the
    center, then here's what you do. You go to
    <http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/> and order the following:

    1) Point 'n Shooters Package ($295, includes Manfrotto tripod and BH-25
    ballhead with Arca-Swiss-style clamp) Alternately, you could get just
    the ballhead or just the clamp, depending on the situation.

    2) MPR-113 ($55, multi-purpose rail, long enough for your camera, short
    enough to not be excessive)

    Set up the tripod. Mount the camera to the rail. Slide the rail into the
    clamp until the camera is in the middle. Take pictures.

    If you don't want to spend that kind of money, then go to WalMart. Get a
    $15 tripod. Use it in happiness. Take the $335 you saved and put it in
    an interest-gaining investment account of some sort.

    Paul Mitchum, Jan 20, 2007
  20. mutefan

    ASAAR Guest

    The stability also depends on the leg orientation when the
    camera's center of mass doesn't coincide with the tripod's axis. To
    maximize stability, if the camera's tripod mount has it offset to
    one side of the tripod, one of the tripod's legs should be
    positioned to the same side as the camera. If the legs are rotated
    60 degrees in either direction the stability will be minimized. A
    tiny tripod still won't be very stable, but every little bit helps.

    ASAAR, Jan 21, 2007