Anyone Noticed [lol] - The Incredible Similarity Between the Handytone 486 ATA & the "Gateway 102"

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by News Reader, Dec 7, 2006.

  1. News Reader

    News Reader Guest

    Hi,

    Re: Anyone Noticed [lol] - The Incredible Similarity Between the Handytone
    486 ATA & the "Gateway 102"

    A little co-incidental come slightly closer inspection I noticed what seems
    like a truly INCREDIBLE similarity between the Handytone 486 ATA and the
    "Gateway 102" ATA (lol - this one really is funny / incredible! - lol). Take
    a look at some pictures :

    Handytone:

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Handytone-486...0QQihZ004QQcategoryZ61841QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    "Gateway 102":

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gateway-102-D...5QQihZ007QQcategoryZ61841QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    Thoughts, comments, etc.?

    Best wishes,

    News Reader

    P.s. Got to love it ;)

    News Reader, Dec 7, 2006

  2. News Reader

    hairydog Guest

    Can't see so much similarity. The 486 has a POTS line port, but it
    isn't a full FXO port.

    The Gateway 102 claims to have a FXO port, and to support CLI (which
    the POTS port of the 486 does not)

    Are you the seller of one of these, trying to spam your listing?

    hairydog, Dec 8, 2006

  3. News Reader

    Mike Sun Guest

    Mike Sun, Dec 8, 2006
  4. News Reader

    News Reader Guest

    Hi,

    I think if you do the same as me - a direct physical comparison - you will
    see the layout of the physical device is almost identical - right down to
    the LED on the front and Ethernet, power and POTS line connectors on the
    back.

    That is so striking to me as to be unmissable / incredible.

    I.e. it would appear to be physically internally almost identical or from a
    very similar / the same design sheet(s).

    That is all I was referring to really.

    Sorry I am not proving to have more depth, etc. to myself on this occasion -
    no ebay spamming, no real interest in the software(ish) side functionality,
    etc. - just someone struck by the incredible physical similarity (i.e. it
    looks like only the plastic moulding case is different - again compare the
    pictures and look at the port placements - identical - or looks incredibly
    similar to me!).

    Best wishes,

    News Reader

    News Reader, Dec 8, 2006
  5. News Reader

    hairydog Guest

    On looking at the user manual (link provided by Mike Sun), it looks as
    if you are correct. The description of the 102 was wrong. It doesn't
    have a FXO port - just the PSTN pass-through that you can also use by
    dialling *00 - and I bet it doesn't carry incoming CLI either.

    hairydog, Dec 10, 2006
  6. News Reader

    Mike Sun Guest

    What qualifies as an FXO port may need clarification - I'm not sure myself
    but it seems that an FXO port needs to be able to do a bit more than just
    allow FXS to make and receive calls via the PSTN. Perhaps route a call from
    PSTN to IP network and visa versa.

    I found this article explaining the difference between FSX and FXO ports but
    I'm wondering if the ports are marked the wrong way round?:-

    http://www.3cx.com/PBX/FXS-FXO.html

    So I'm wondering on the Gateway 102 what should the "FXO" port be mark as?
    And is it different from the 486?

    Cheers from Mike

    Mike Sun, Dec 11, 2006