Anyone Notice Netflix Not shipping fast anymore ?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Wart, Oct 6, 2004.

  1. Wart

    Noah Jonze Guest

    Obvious? Dooods, you're not getting it. I'm not stoopid. If I mail back 3 at
    the same time they all arrive at the same time, but LONGER than it used to
    take. Always. Used to take 1 day. Now 2. Same for the returns. Always. In
    fact, the lack of variation is one thing that made me suspicious. I live in
    the same state as the distribution center so there is really no excuse for
    it taking more than 1 day. Nothing else I mail in state takes more than a
    day.

    ------
    "Too many O-B-G-Y-N's aren't able to practice their, their LOVE with women
    all across this country."
    -- George W. Bush, campaign speech, 9/06/04
    -------------------------------
    "You know, I think about Missy Johnson. She's a fantastic lady I met in
    Charlotte, North Carolina. She and her son Bryan, they came to see me. Her
    husband PJ got killed. He'd been in Afghanistan, went to Iraq.
    You know, it's hard work to try TO LOVE HER as best as I can, knowing full
    well that the decision I made caused her loved one to be in harm's way. "
    -- George W. Bush, first presidential debate, 9/30/2004

    Noah Jonze, Oct 9, 2004

  2. Obvious? Dooods, you're not getting it. I'm not stoopid.[/QUOTE]

    Fine. But how is what is being reported here not a biased sample?

    Reginald Dwight, Oct 9, 2004

  3. Wart

    Tarkus Guest

    And every single DVD I mail gets received the very next day. Returns
    take one to two days, generally. So why am I not part of the conspiracy?

    Tarkus, Oct 9, 2004
  4. Wart

    Oldguy Guest

    Well, the slow shipments may not be proof of a conspiracy, but back when
    I first joined Netflix I complained of shipments slowdowns when they
    opened a center in my state. They responded that the turnaround on my
    returning DVDs was awfully fast (as if to imply I may be copying them).
    When I responded that I was disabled and had nothing better to do than
    watch all the DVDs I received in one day and have them back in the mail
    the next, I didn't even get an apology.

    However, in their defense: when DVDs were sent from the west coast they,
    like a lot of bulk mail, may have likely been flown from city to city,
    whereas in state shipments are more likely to go by truck.

    Noah Jonze, Oct 9, 2004
  6. Wart

    Oldguy Guest

    Oldguy, Oct 9, 2004
  7. Wart

    Invid Fan Guest

    And you're having bad luck. See, problem solved. Maybe you should put a
    horse shoe above your mailbox.

    Invid Fan, Oct 9, 2004
  8. Wart

    Noah Jonze Guest

    Nu-uh. No. You aren't having good luck with shipping. You are having good
    luck in not setting off the red flag that will get your account put on a
    slower shipping and receiving schedule.

    As Oldguy pointed out, they are aware of who returns DVDs "too" quickly. I
    work evenings. I receive my DVDs in late morning. I can watch one and return
    it before the post office closes the same day on my way to work. They
    obviously don't like to receive a DVD back only 2 days after they mailed it
    out. But its not my fault; they made the rules. They should at least be
    honest that there is a
    cap on their 3 at a time membership. Then we wouldn't complain about how
    sneaky they are.

    ------

    Noah Jonze, Oct 9, 2004
  9. Wart

    Invid Fan Guest

    I admit I'm not anal about returning things quickly, but I honestly
    don't think it'd be worth their time to do that. If you really think
    this is happening, cancel and re-subscribe with a different family
    member's name.

    Invid Fan, Oct 9, 2004
  10. Errrm...I return "too quickly" just like you. They never change the
    service speed on me other than to speed it up a few years back.

    Reginald Dwight, Oct 10, 2004
  11. WTF!? Good reply. I guess we know who the idiot is now.

    Reginald Dwight, Oct 10, 2004
  12. Wart

    Eric R. Guest

    Actually, that's a long-established practice of theirs. Some guy even
    did a telling analysis of it at one point. You can read it for
    yourself here:

    http://dvd-rent-test.dreamhost.com/

    -Eric

    Eric R., Oct 11, 2004
  13. Wart

    Eric R. Guest

    Maybe you just haven't looked hard enough (or been around here long enough):

    Eric R., Oct 11, 2004
  14. Ive had netflix for over 3 years and they have never slowed down. they receive
    the movie the day after I mail it and ship a new one that same day. The new one
    arrives in my mailbox the next day. It cant get any faster than this. I live in
    Houston. Maybe there are just crappy employees in some of the different
    distrubition centers. It happens in retail stores. Not all Wal-Marts and Best
    Buys are the same because some employees are fast and caring and put out all
    the product. While other stores have crappy and slow employees that dont put
    everything out.

    SpiderManHouston, Oct 12, 2004
  15. Wart

    Tarkus Guest

    Same here. If Netflix wanted to slow down my rentals, why did they
    recently open up a distribution center here in Vegas? Clearly, they're
    trying to improve service, not curtail it.
    Exactly.

    Tarkus, Oct 12, 2004
  16. Wart

    Noah Jonze Guest

    Yes, but how long do you keep them before mailing them back?
    Try mailing them back the same or next day for a month and see what happens.
    How many do you rent a month?

    -------
    "Too many O-B-G-Y-N's aren't able to practice their, their LOVE with women
    all across this country."
    -- George W. Bush, campaign speech, 9/06/04
    -------------------------------
    "You know, I think about Missy Johnson....Her husband PJ got killed. He'd

    Noah Jonze, Oct 12, 2004
  17. Wart

    Tarkus Guest

    I don't often mail them back the same day, but I do usually mail them
    back the next day, "time shifting" them to DVD-RW, if necessary. And
    since returns only take one day, that's still pretty fast. They've yet
    to start punishing me.

    Tarkus, Oct 13, 2004
  18. Wart

    negatus Guest

    I've now gone 3 weeks with 1-2 day "processing" delays on all my rentals.
    I'm not referring to shipping, but actual delays by Netflix. I've been with
    them for many years, and sadly this is the worst service they've ever
    provided.

    negatus, Oct 14, 2004
  19. Wart

    Tarkus Guest

    Have you tried contacting customer service? I'd be interested in hearing
    their excuse for these delays. It's rare that I have those type of
    delays, so maybe it has to do with your distribution center.

    Tarkus, Oct 14, 2004
  20. Wart

    negatus Guest

    I sent Netflix an e-mail over a week ago. No response. For all I know,
    they are temporalily short staffed. Maybe things will improve...

    negatus, Oct 14, 2004