    flashes as it does with Quantums. Tried both the 420EX and 580EX, same
    result, 1+ stop overexposure with any ambient light at all, but excellent
    results in very low ambient light or in "fill" situations.

    Skip M, Dec 2, 2004

  2. A

    Mark² Guest

    I don't know what's causing it, but I noticed this also...on some red
    flowers in some of my Maui pics, and ONLY with RED. I've posted an example
    of this here:
    http://www.pbase.com/image/37017875
    This was shot with a 10D.
    -Mark

    Mark², Dec 2, 2004

  3. (Good name!)
    Yes, and they legitimize each other. It's like the way PCs took off once
    there was more than one brand of them (IBM and Compaq). Arguably, IBM's
    sales increased (at least in the early 1980s) because other companies were
    making comparable machines, thus promoting the very idea of having a
    computer of that general type. I think D70 and Digital Rebel are doing the
    same thing to each other now.
    Sounds like maybe you should select the other color option, the less
    saturated one. Or have you tried this? (I have a DR, not 20D, and I'm a
    little foggy about some details of the menus.)

    Michael A. Covington, Dec 2, 2004
  4. A

    JPS Guest

    In message <[email protected]>,
    What did the RAW conversion? There are blue 1-pixel-high strips where
    they shouldn't be, cutting right through red flower edges, and some of
    the brown'green foliage.

    Do you have a RAW example with no artistic value that you can put on a
    binaries group so I can look at the RAW data?

    JPS, Dec 2, 2004
  5. A

    Crownfield Guest

    at 800 %,
    not on my monitor...

    Crownfield, Dec 2, 2004
  6. A

    Mark² Guest

    I'll try a re-do on this first (conversion) using both PS and C1 to try and
    determine if it's really in the RAW file, or from a particular conversion.
    I saw this in another red shot from the same trip... I don't know where to
    post the RAW file. If your e-mail can take the file size, I could send it
    directly to you...

    Mark², Dec 2, 2004
  7. A

    Mark² Guest

    Really?
    I clearly see red lines extending well beyond the actual red flowers
    horizontally.
    The red error seems to effect much of an entire line of pixels to either
    side of the real red portion. It's clearly visible if you enlarge the crop
    I posted. Try it again.

    Mark², Dec 2, 2004
  8. A

    JPS Guest

    In message <>,
    I don't know how good your pattern recognition is, but every other line
    has too much blue, and this is most noticeable near edges of clashing
    colors.

    Look at the crown of the vegetation in the upper left. First hint from
    the top is a normal-looking line for the top. The line below it is
    blue, like it sees right through the foliage. The next line is
    properly-contoured vegetation. The next line down is blue again.

    Now. go down a little and to the right, and look at the top of the red
    flowers. Alternating lines of red and blue.

    It's almost as if this camera is missing its anti-aliasing filter, as
    there is no red recorded in the lines that don't have red filters,
    unless the red is very solid.

    JPS, Dec 2, 2004
  9. A

    Mark² Guest

    Here's an enlarged version of the crop, with my sloppy arrows drawn in...
    Strange.
    http://www.pbase.com/image/37018969

    Mark², Dec 2, 2004
  10. A

    JPS Guest

    In message <[email protected]>,
    The blue goes right through the red, too, so it's not just the red
    bleeding over, unless it is bleeding *before* the sensor. If it bled
    *in* the sensor, the blue and green pixels surrounding the red would be
    illuminated. There is no color discrimination under the CFA.

    JPS, Dec 2, 2004
  11. A

    JPS Guest

    In message <[email protected]>,
    I don't give out my email addresses, but you can upload to alt-binaries
    and put the resulting Message-ID here.

    JPS, Dec 2, 2004
  12. A

    Crownfield Guest

    clueless.

    Crownfield, Dec 2, 2004
  13. A

    Mark² Guest

    ??

    Mark², Dec 2, 2004
  14. A

    Summitar Guest

    (Thanks! I'm one of the few people out there who loves this
    particular screwmount lens. On a Leica III, it's ergonomic
    perfection, and comes very close to the sharpness of a Summicron. And
    arguably better bokeh.)

    Back to the problem of blown reds. It seems this is an epidemic, and
    not just with Canon cameras. I'm copying over a post from another
    topic:

    Just about any digital camera will do that. I've seen some Fuji Velvia
    50
    shots with completely blown reds, so it's not just digital.

    About the only thing to do is to learn to watch out for reds and set
    an EV
    compensation of -2/3 or so when you see reds.

    The Fuji S2 and Canon 1DsM2 have RGB histograms, so you can see if
    you've
    got a problem more easily, but that still requires reshooting.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    -------------------------------

    So, any thoughts? It seems that people are saying that this problem
    cannot be hardware-specific, in which case why does this seem to
    happen with so many different cameras and conversion techniques?

    Summitar, Dec 2, 2004
  15. A

    coleman Guest

    I was talking to a Nikon rep about this very matter, because it happens
    in the D70 as well. He refered to it as "blooming". His advice was to
    underexpose by one stop, and then to correct the exposure in the RAW
    file in photoshop.

    Cheers

    coleman, Dec 7, 2004