    A Guest

    Just out of interest.

    Is there anyone who is not happy with buying a Canon 20D?

    A, Nov 12, 2004

  2. A

    Annika1980 Guest

    From: "A"
    I kinda doubt it.

    I've only had two gripes about mine.

    I did have it lockup on me before the new firmware upgrade was installed. This
    is easily solved by removing the battery and putting it back in which takes 5
    seconds.

    Also, it may just be me but the sensor seems more prone to attracting dust than
    the Totally Digital D60 did. I changed lenses on a windy beach on Maui and the
    sensor was full of dust spots. Usually these aren't a problem unless you use
    narrow apertures like f/11, f/16, f/22, etc.

    Oh yeah, one other thing ... it is a bit louder than the D60. Tiger Woods is
    gonna be pissed.

    Annika1980, Nov 12, 2004

  3. A

    Aerticus Guest

    Yes, I have one very serious concern about the D20.

    That is: I don't have one and wish I did :-(

    Aerticus

    Aerticus, Nov 12, 2004
  4. A

    dylan Guest

    George Preddy (or his aliases) :)

    dylan, Nov 12, 2004
  5. A

    DDDD Guest

    I got mine a couple of days ago and the new firmware was already in it.
    Chances are that it will be in most of the cameras bought from now on, since
    they are a hot item and sell pretty fast.

    DDDD

    DDDD, Nov 12, 2004
  6. I like a good solid click.

    As for Tiger Woods, going by his previous hate for spectators, you had
    better watch out!

    Charles Dickens, Nov 12, 2004
  7. A

    Matt Ion Guest

    Seconded!

    Matt Ion, Nov 12, 2004
  8. A

    John Doe Guest

    I like what the camera can do. I like the resolution, features, low noise,
    etc. But, I don't trust it. Mine died going from the 1.02 firmware to the
    1.04 and I had to send it in to Canon to get it fixed. It still locks up. I
    simply don't trust the thing. I hope that Canon gets the bugs worked out,
    but if they don't I doubt I will use it much.

    John

    John Doe, Nov 12, 2004
  9. A

    TAFKAB Guest

    If you're afraid of little Tigey and his little wifey, get a Nikon F6. It
    has a silent mode that is, well, nearly impossible to hear, even for the
    shooter. It's amazing. Plus, you avoid all that digital nonsense like crop
    factors, PF/CA, dust on the sensor, etc. I wish I'd known about film
    earlier; I'd have never gone digital.

    ;-)

    TAFKAB, Nov 13, 2004
  10. A

    TAFKAB Guest

    He's a spoiled little putz. Golf is one of those so-called sports where
    silence is necessary, and I think that's total BS. Can you see an NBA player
    stepping up to the free throw line, and the announcer saying "quiet please?"
    Right. Golfers are the most spoiled athletes there are.

    TAFKAB, Nov 13, 2004
  11. A

    SmartAzz Guest

    I would imaging that Olympus, Nikon, and Minolta aren't too happy with
    the Canon 20D.

    : P

    SmartAzz, Nov 13, 2004
  12. A

    Mark² Guest

    Interestingly enough...in the 50's, it was not uncommon that fans would, in
    fact, be quiet during free-throws out of courtesy to the guy on the line.
    Totally different now. Personally, I don't mind a bit that there is still
    some places in sport where fans are expected to be respectful. This is a
    good thing.

    The thing about golf, in my thinking (and I'm no golfer, but this makes
    sense to me) is that golf is a sport--perhaps more so than ANY other--where
    fractions of a milimeter can make a huge difference. This is similar to
    billiards as well.

    Mark², Nov 13, 2004
  13. A

    Pepys Guest

    I traded mine back a few days ago because I could not get really sharp
    images from it, in spite of having some quite classy L series lenses to use.
    Even shooting RAW and post processing, the images looked soft and weak. It
    occasionally locked up after a lens change, which required the battery to be
    pulled to fix. It just felt "not quite right".

    To be absolutely fair, it may have been a problem with the camera, although
    I should point out that a significant number of the 20D shots on pbase look
    pretty ordinary regarding sharpness and saturation.

    The agents offered to have it examined and "fixed", but I chose to trade
    down to a different brand.

    Sam

    Pepys, Nov 13, 2004
  14. Hope you didn't piss your money away on a Sigma.

    Randall Ainsworth, Nov 13, 2004
  15. A

    John Doe Guest

    Apparently from what I have read some lenses just aren't that good and
    reports are some L glass even. I seems at least the theory is that the 20D
    sensor is better than the lens and so it shows a weak lenses quite easily.
    Don't know but that seems to be the working theory over at dpReview.

    John

    John Doe, Nov 13, 2004
  16. A

    Mark² Guest

    There are a lot of "working theories" that are just plain hooey.
    DPreview is just as full of newbies with opinions as this place is.
    I can't even count the number of people there are who swear it doesn't
    focus, but then you come to find out that they've never even taken their
    cameras out of "automatic focus selection" mode!

    A great many folks who have no experience with SLRs are buying DSLRs and
    expecting miracles. What they don't seem to understand is that with a DSLR,
    you are actually expected to use your brain a bit in order to get quality
    shots with sharp focus. DSLRs and their comparatively shallow field of
    focus (compared with digital point-and-shoots) often trick newbies into
    thinking it's the camera.

    It's usually the shooter.

    Mark², Nov 13, 2004
  17. A

    Pepys Guest

    God NO! I ended up with a Nikon D70 mainly because we've got a D100 at work
    and I have access to some pretty good lenses.

    I will not be selling my Canon lenses though - Give it 12 months and maybe
    give Canon another go.

    Sam

    Pepys, Nov 13, 2004
  18. A

    Aerticus Guest

    IMHO any equipment with a high number of variables is gonna be complicated

    Whether its hardware, software, ... Surely it must take about 200 hours of
    shooting time in a variety oc cirumstances to guess anything about the
    potentials of the 20D?

    Aerticus

    Aerticus, Nov 13, 2004
  19. A

    JPS Guest

    In message <CHhld.5108$>,
    Most of the wide-angle L lenses are horribly soft at maximum aperture.
    This goes for the fixed focal length lenses; not just the zooms. The L
    telephotos tend to be fairly good wide open, though.

    JPS, Nov 13, 2004
  20. A

    Mark² Guest

    For the most part, this is just fine and dandy, since wide angle shots
    rarely are taken at max aperture due to focus depth needs in landscape,
    interiors, etc.

    And... Long teles tend to be used at, or close to, max apertures for
    wildlife and sports for isolation and speed.

    Seems the Canon lenses are designed for the field, rather than the test
    pattern.
    I say all the good.

    Mark², Nov 13, 2004