    Any other ideas??
    Thanks,
    Adam

    Adam Cohn, Feb 19, 2005

  2. Adam  Cohn

    Mark² Guest

    Scanning 100 photos on a flat-bed shouldn't take you more than 1-2 hours at most.
    Compare this with selecting, driving to, waiting for, driving to collect...and paying for
    someone else to do it can't be much better...and COULD be even worse.

    Mark², Feb 19, 2005

  3. Adam  Cohn

    Adam Cohn Guest

    Ah, the mother of the groom is paying... within reason. So for a decent
    price, I'd rather have her pay than spend the better part of a Saturday
    doing it myself. Doing it myself is still a very valid and likely
    option though.

    Adam Cohn, Feb 19, 2005
  4. Adam  Cohn

    Mark² Guest

    The more common places for scanning often leave MUCH to be desired in terms of scan
    qualityof negatives. You may actually be far happier with even flat-bed scans. I can
    understand your hesitancy, but as long as you're not doing a bunch of editing, etc., one
    hundred scans really does go fairly quickly--assuming you've got a fairly decent scanner.

    How about this: Since the mother of the groom is willing to pay...perhaps you could ask
    her to finance or subsidize the purchase of a new, faster, better scanner--which you could
    then keep. Then she'll get better scans, and you'll have more than aggravation to show
    for your efforts.

    Mark², Feb 20, 2005
  5. Adam  Cohn

    Matt Ion Guest

    It would help to know where you're located (Vancouver, BC has Costco,
    Kinkos *and* Kits Cameras).

    Can't you just take the negs to Costco or another place that will scan
    from negs? Don't worry about being selective at that point, just scan
    them all onto one or two discs and sort through the digitals later.

    Matt Ion, Feb 20, 2005
  6. Adam  Cohn

    Stewy Guest

    It really depends on the size of the scan - going for high resolution
    will take ages and will be difficult for the slideshow software to work.
    Aiming at - say 300dpi will create small files and the scan time for
    each picture will be less than a minute. Perhaps you could do it
    yourself and them claim you went to Kinkos...?

    Stewy, Feb 21, 2005
  7. I need to scan a hundred or so photos to create a digital picture show
    I looked into this a copule of years ago. I have literally thousands
    of 4x6 photos that I'd like scanned. For a while I was scanning them
    by hand, but I just don't have the time any more. What I was (and am)
    looking for is a machine that takes a stack of photos, feeds them one
    by one, and scans them.

    If you find something like this, please let us know.

    -Joel

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Feb 22, 2005
  8. The more common places for scanning often leave MUCH to be desired in
    On reason flat-bed scans of photos usually look better than scans of
    negatives is that the photos are already usually
    color/contrast/density adjusted.

    -Joel

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Feb 22, 2005
  9. It really depends on the size of the scan - going for high resolution
    300dpi will create ~12MB files from a 4x6, smaller, obviously, with
    compression. Remember, computer equipment usually operates at around
    72dpi-100dpi. Unless you plan on enlarging these, 300dpi is overkill.

    -Joel

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Feb 22, 2005
  10. Adam  Cohn

    ECM Guest