    the pound/dollar rate. Any one know of a good camera shop out there,
    were I can can my hands on an Olympus 5060wz?

    TIA

    bg, Apr 30, 2004

  2. bg

    Mark Johnson Guest

    Sammy's Camera, which I think is out near the ballpark (they're
    calling it 'China Basin', now, since the sponsor can't seem to get its
    own name straight - and the best thing about the team, so far this
    season, is Bonds' ave). They had a good rep in the film days. But
    you'd probably do better at newegg.com, or the like, online for a
    purchase. Camera stores are notoriously expensive. You'd think they
    were in the medical business, or something. I know there's a very
    small franchise Ritz camera down in 'south city', in the Serramonte
    mall. I just got a multi-coated UV from them, when I was up there. But
    I didn't notice their digicam prices. Again, I would think online
    would be best for that.

    Mark Johnson, Apr 30, 2004

  3. bg

    Bob Salomon Guest

    Samys left SF a long time ago. Are you thinking about Pro Camera? They
    are the large rental dealer.

    Downtown there is Gasser, Palo Alto has K&S and Bear Images, There are
    also good dealers across the Bay like Looing Glass, Reeds, Sarbers and
    in Aptos Monterey Bay Photo, in Monterey Cameras West.

    Lots of other shops in the SF area can also help you.

    If you want Samys the closest one would be in Santa Barbara - they just
    opened a new super size camera store there. They are also in LA,
    Pasadena, Venice, and a other spots in S. CA.

    Bob Salomon, Apr 30, 2004
  4. bg

    nixjunk Guest

    i'm of fon my hols to SF next week, and thought i'd take advantage of
    You could order one from a New York outfit like B&H and have it before you
    leave and you wouldn't have to worry about taking time away from your
    vacation/holiday looking for a store to buy something.

    Enjoy your trip. First time?

    nixjunk, Apr 30, 2004
  5. bg

    JC Dill Guest

    Also check out the computer stores, in particular Fry's Electronics.
    The nearest Fry's to SF is in Palo Alto, but if you are going that far
    go a bit further and go to the Sunnyvale location which has a much
    larger selection of camera gear.

    BTW, do NOT expect good prices at K&S (Keeble and Shuchat) in Palo
    Alto, their items are priced at list or above.

    jc

    JC Dill, Apr 30, 2004
  6. bg

    JC Dill Guest

    Where are you staying in SF? Will you have a rental car and what
    other destinations will you be visiting?

    I live in Sunnyvale and work in SF and might be able to give other
    assistance. I haven't found a good camera shop *in* SF myself, but
    I'd be happy to go look with you and see what's what. :)

    jc

    JC Dill, Apr 30, 2004
  7. bg

    Mark Johnson Guest

    You pay more at Fry's. But there is the possibility of returning items
    in 30 days, I think. They're very strict on that cutoff. It's not like
    Costco, which lets it slide. Fry's doesn't want to do you any favors.
    But it's a retailer. And what you want might be in stock, on the
    shelf. That's the advantage over waiting on the mail - I guess. But
    you pay a premium. As for Costco, itself, they don't really discount
    the models, that much (unlike a lot of their typical stock, which is
    deeply discounted), and only have five or six models or brands
    available, usually (not a great selection).

    I was thinking of them. Some of the most expensive stuff I've seen,
    right down to a $900 plastic tripod, was in that store. You don't
    exactly get a discount on books, either. I think I saw a local
    comedian, or something, being shown the ropes there, one day. I don't
    know what the clerk earn.

    I was surprized Samy's is gone. I had been to Gassers, I believe,
    about the same time. But that was years ago when I was shooting
    slides. Obviously, it's been a few years.

    Mark Johnson, May 1, 2004
  8. There are no discount stores out here.

    Keeble & Shucat in Palo Alto would have it, at full retail. Take Cal Train
    (weekdays only) to the California Avenue station, and it's about 1/5 mile
    west on California Avenue. On weekends, take the 7F SamTrans bus to
    California Avenue and walk 2/5 mile east.

    You might try MicroCenter in Santa Clara, which currently has a 20% off sale
    on all digital cameras. This is a chain store, but the only location in this
    area is in Santa Clara.

    C-5060 is $650-20%=$520 plus 8.25% sales tax=about $563

    Mercado Center
    3255 Mission College Blvd.
    Santa Clara, CA 95054
    Hours: Mon. - Sat. 10 to 9; Sun. 12 to 5
    (408) 919-5400

    Call first, as this sale is wildly popular and they are often out of stuff.
    But Canon stuff is what they are out of the most, so you might luck out.
    This will almost certainly be the lowest you'll find this camera store at a
    retail store in this area.

    You can get there (weekdays only) by taking CalTrain to the Lawrence Station
    in Sunnyvale, then taking a cab to the shopping center (about three miles
    from the train station). You could walk it in an hour, but it isn't a
    pleasant walk.

    But this is still more than $100 more than you can get it for mail order.
    I.e., see http://buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=OMC5060 where it sells for
    $449 with free shipping and no tax.

    Ritz doesn't carry Olympus.

    Fry's is strictly retail price, and usually clueless.

    Most people in the U.S. order digital cameras from one of the east coast
    retailers, or buy from Costco, Dell, or Amazon.

    Steve
    http://digitalcamerashortlist.com

    Steven M. Scharf, May 1, 2004
  9. bg

    Bob Salomon Guest

    What is your understanding of "list" price?

    Bob Salomon, May 1, 2004
  10. bg

    JC Dill Guest

    JC Dill, May 3, 2004
  11. bg

    DS Guest

    their items are priced at list or above
    Discounters will often make up their own "list price" to give the appearance
    of a larger discount.
    On items with no MSRP, the list can be whatever you want it to be.

    DS, May 5, 2004
  12. bg

    JC Dill Guest

    This is true. But the discounter (B&H) had a "list price" below what
    K&S had the item marked at. Therefore if the discounter had inflated
    the "list price" then K&S had inflated it even more!

    jc

    JC Dill, May 11, 2004
  13. bg

    Bob Salomon Guest

    You have a lot of faith in the web.

    Stores like B&H and K&S stock 1000s if not 10s of thousands of items.
    Manufacturers and distributors are constantly changing prices all the
    time.

    It is virtually impossible for any one site to have all prices current
    at all times. That is why you normally see the disclaimer "Prices and
    specifications are subject to change without notice"

    Also, some times there are price decreases as well as price increases
    from the suppliers. Some dealers may buy into one special while another
    may not.

    Also some items, memory for instance, is like a commodity. The price can
    change not only by the week but by the day and buy the time of day. What
    you see as a suggested list or as a M.A.P. in the morning can change by
    the afternoon.

    That is why if you see what looks like a discrepancy you should call and
    ask the dealer.

    Last week I was trying to buy a battery for the Sony T1. The battery
    lists for $59 and change.

    I happened to be passing a large, new Good Guys store in pasadena and a
    large sign caught my eye in the window. You know the type of sign
    "guaranteed lowest price","we will not be undersold".

    So we went in. The "guaranteed lowest price","we will not be undersold"
    was full list price. When pointed out that they were 20% higher then
    Sony's price they just shrugged.

    All is not always what it seems.

    For instance the link provided above does not work.

    Bob Salomon, May 11, 2004
  14. bg

    JC Dill Guest

    Filters are not the type of commodity (like memory sticks) that are
    constantly getting cheaper by the day. And *even if they were* it
    still doesn't explain why K&S prices the same filter 10% higher than
    B&H's "list price" and over 100% higher than B&H's actual price.
    It worked just fine when I posted it, see:

    <>

    The person who replied to me used a news client that broke a perfectly
    functional link into 2 lines. When I quoted that person's post, my
    client took the two lines and treated them as a link followed by text,
    (which is correct, there's no way to guess or know that the second
    line was the remainder of a link) rather than as a link broken into 2
    lines.

    jc

    JC Dill, May 12, 2004
  15. bg

    Bob Salomon Guest

    Not that I doubt you. But this is what your new link leads to:

    "Safari can't open the page
    "http:///" because it can't
    find the server "4ax.com"."

    Bob Salomon, May 12, 2004
  16. Because they can. K&S is a low volume store, and is the only real pro store
    in the Bay Area. I rarely buy anything from them except during their annual
    sale, but if I needed something right away, they would be the only source
    for esoteric items.

    Steven M. Scharf, May 12, 2004
  17. bg

    JC Dill Guest

    The link is for a news article (my original post that contains the
    functional link) which should be found on your news server. Safari is
    probably trying to open a webpage.

    jc

    JC Dill, May 12, 2004
  18. bg