Anyone interested in Disneys The Song of the South

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Glenn, Feb 22, 2004.

  1. Glenn

    Glenn Guest

    Glenn, Feb 22, 2004

  2. Glenn

    Richard C. Guest

    : I am not selling it, it is not available nor does it appear it will ever
    : be....
    :
    : http://www.songofthesouth.net/faq/index.html#1
    :
    :
    ====================
    Of COURSE people are interested in it.
    If Disney released it as a special 2 disc set, in the tin box,
    with lots of commentaries and interviews it would be their biggest selling movie
    EVER!

    They could get major "black" leaders to comment on it, from Bill Cosby to Spike Lee.

    I think they would astound themselves with the sales!
    ======================

    Richard C., Feb 22, 2004

  3. Glenn

    Morgan Guest

    Song of the South is one of my favorite Disney films. And after watching it
    a few months ago (I downloaded it) I have to say I found nothing offensive
    about it. I can see some people may take offense by some aspects of it.
    But damn, it's 2004--I can't believe society is so sensitive! Not just this
    movie, but everything else has such extreme issues. If parents don't want
    their children to watch something, make sure your children don't watch it.
    If your child doesn't understand something, tell them your understanding of
    it. And frankly, I think if this move were released right now, only adults
    would buy it and watch it. Except for the animated parts, I don't think
    children would find it very interesting. And one last thing, what a f**king
    slap in the face to African-Americans. James Baskett was not only the first
    actor hired for a live-action character by Disney, but he was the first
    black actor to receive and Academy Award (honorary). And evidently, he had
    an amazing talent for vocal mimicry, as well as his original voices for Song
    of the South. He was only in a few B-movies, as I understand, and died a
    year or two after Song of the South. But we'll never see his work, because
    none of it is available on VHS or DVD. What a shame!

    This is part of the reason I don't buy anything Disney. Another reason is
    because it seems like all their DVD's and videos are only available for a
    limited time and then are taken off the shelf after a few months. Then when
    an anniversary comes up, they do a re-release. (I realized they aren't the
    only ones who do this, but they seem to do it a lot.) Also, they censor
    their own material to fit with society's sensitivities, instead of growing a
    backbone, taking a stand, and saying 'this is how it used to be, if you
    don't like it, don't buy it'. I'm also really surprised Disney hasn't
    re-edited the film with all the live-action taken out and a new vocal track
    recorded for the animated sequences with a little less 'color' to it.

    My rant is through.

    Morgan

    Morgan, Feb 22, 2004
  4. Glenn

    EvilN8 Guest

    Disney keeping this movie off the shelves is keeping Pirates in Business. I
    picked up a copy on DVD-R for $30 off of ebay for a relative that watched
    this movie as a child and has always wanted it since. That could have went
    into Disney's pocket.

    EvilN8, Feb 22, 2004
  5. Glenn

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Spike Lee.

    I've been advocating that for years. Yes, the movie is racially insensitive
    by today's standards. So, instead of burying it and pretending it doesn't
    exist (because, in fact, it does - maybe Eisner and Lucas should get
    together and go to group therapy on this or something), they should release
    it in such a way that addresses its historical context and significance,
    from the time it was made until now. It would make for a fascinating
    case-study on the subject.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Feb 23, 2004
  6. Glenn

    Scot Gardner Guest

    While Disney is busy rewriting history by pretending that it never made
    the completely harmless _Song of the South_ (1946), Universal/Paramount
    has no problem releasing _Holiday Inn_(1942) on DVD.

    _Holiday Inn_ has Bing Crosby appearing in one of the most embarrassing
    blackface sketches ever put on film. Crosby has turned his Connecticut
    ranch house into an inn which is open only on holidays. His housekeeper,
    Mammy, (played by Louise Beavers) knows her place -- which is in the
    kitchen -- and she is a credit to her race. You can be sure that she had
    no problem with buying a first class ticket and then taking a seat in
    the back of the bus. Her two little children are cute as can be, but
    where is her husband? Nobody seems to know. Maybe he's off serving in
    one of the segregated branches of the military.

    In the "Abraham" musical number, the entire band and cast appears in
    insulting slave-like costumes and one of the women singers has an
    exaggerated pickaninny hairdo. Bing Crosby is dressed in an Uncle Tom
    suit as he sings tribute to Abraham Lincoln for freeing the slaves.

    As the song progresses, Mammy is in the kitchen, where she gets to sing
    the following lyrics to her children:

    When black folks lived in slavery,
    Who was it set the darky free?
    Abraham!
    That's right, child.
    Abraham!

    I don't see how there could be anything this offensive contained in
    _Song of the South_. So how is it that Universal has no problem
    releasing _Holiday Inn_, in all of its racist glory, while Disney fears
    a backlash from releasing its inoffensive _Song of the South_?

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...05559/sr=11-1/ref=sr_11_1/002-6942162-8518435

    Scot Gardner, Feb 23, 2004
  7. Glenn

    HiTechMan Guest

    Disney has no cajones

    HiTechMan, Feb 23, 2004
  8. You mean, like, animate a John Henry short to go with the restoration,
    then have James Earl Jones do some History-Channel intro spin on the
    story?--
    BTDT. Back in '96.

    As far as the other stuff, about Sidney Poitier having finally retired
    from Disney's executive board, see previous threads.
    They spring up like topsy every three months by the clock.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Feb 23, 2004
  9. Glenn

    luminos Guest