Anyone have experience with getting access again to Local Security Settings

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by techhelp, May 20, 2006.

  1. techhelp

    techhelp Guest

    I recently had a problem booting my Windows 2000 OS with Sp4 rollup 1.
    After restoring the system state, and reinstalling sp4 and sp4 rollup 1,
    I have the following problem with my standalone (non-networked computer).

    Every time I go to component services and open the Local Security
    Settings, I get the following messages when clicking on the various
    policies:

    "Windows cannot open the local policy database.
    An unknown error occured when attempting to open the database."

    Even though I've rarely adjusted these policies, I know that's not a good
    sign.

    I've tried running MMC and using the Add Snap-in method, and whereas I
    used to see user and group policies listed, now I only see local policy
    directories (without any access). I also don't see a Group Policy
    subdirectory in my winnt directory, though I'm not sure if there ever was
    one.

    I've also given full security permissions for myself and "system". The
    "Everyone" user was already there. I've also tried using Aclrestore as
    suggested by Microsoft on their site, to no avail.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=266118

    Obviously, I'm doing something wrong. Does someone have experience with
    this? My other alternative it to load Win 2000 Pro along with Sp4 again
    (and a bunch of programs) after reformatting the partitioned root drive.

    techhelp, May 20, 2006

  2. techhelp

    x1134x Guest

    No experience with that, but heres how to fix it.

    Boot from win2k CD, press f8 to agree to M$ terms, on the screen that
    comes up and asks if you want to run Emergency repair etc, hit enter
    like your going to just install windoze over the top of your existing
    install. It will say "searching for previous versions of M$ windoze."
    It will find your install, and ask you if you want to repair it, say
    yes.

    This should fix the problem, alebiet you'll have to re-up the service
    packs again. {:-(

    x1134x

    x1134x, May 20, 2006

  3. techhelp

    x1134x Guest

    I forgot to mention that you WON'T have to re-install any programs
    because it will just do a repair install and give you a fresh M$
    registry (all other keys stay) and will cause it to re-detect all
    devices and install the drivers.

    x1134x

    x1134x, May 20, 2006
  4. From: <>

    | I recently had a problem booting my Windows 2000 OS with Sp4 rollup 1.
    | After restoring the system state, and reinstalling sp4 and sp4 rollup 1,
    | I have the following problem with my standalone (non-networked computer).

    | Every time I go to component services and open the Local Security
    | Settings, I get the following messages when clicking on the various
    | policies:

    | "Windows cannot open the local policy database.
    | An unknown error occured when attempting to open the database."

    | Even though I've rarely adjusted these policies, I know that's not a good
    | sign.

    | I've tried running MMC and using the Add Snap-in method, and whereas I
    | used to see user and group policies listed, now I only see local policy
    | directories (without any access). I also don't see a Group Policy
    | subdirectory in my winnt directory, though I'm not sure if there ever was
    | one.

    | I've also given full security permissions for myself and "system". The
    | "Everyone" user was already there. I've also tried using Aclrestore as
    | suggested by Microsoft on their site, to no avail.

    | http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=266118

    | Obviously, I'm doing something wrong. Does someone have experience with
    | this? My other alternative it to load Win 2000 Pro along with Sp4 again
    | (and a bunch of programs) after reformatting the partitioned root drive.

    This is a question best suited for a Microsoft Win2K News Group, not an anti virus News
    Group.

    David H. Lipman, May 20, 2006
  5. techhelp

    John Coutts Guest

    ************* REPLY SEPARATER **************
    It sounds very much like your security database is corrupt. I found the
    following info which may help recreate it. It is for 2000 Server, but from a
    Security perspective, the 2 should operate the same.
    To resolve the problem, and return the Local Security Policy to its'
    installation state:

    01. Create an OldSecurity subfolder at %SystemRoot%\Security.

    02. Move the log files and chk file from %SystemRoot%\Security\logs to
    %SystemRoot%\Security\OldSecurity.

    03. Move the database from %SystemRoot%\Security\Database\Secedit.sdb to
    %SystemRoot%\Security\OldSecurity and change the file extension to .old.

    04. Start / Run / MMC / OK.

    05. Console / Add/Remove Snap-in.

    06. Add the Security and Configuration Analysis snap-in. Press Close and OK.

    07. Right-click Security and Configuration Analysis and press Open Database.

    08. Navigate to the %SystemRoot%\Security\Database folder, type Secedit.sdb
    into File name, and press Open.

    09. When prompted to import a template, select Setup security.inf.

    10. Press Open. Ignore any Access Denied error.

    11. Right-click Security and Configuration Analysis and press Configure
    Computer Now.

    John Coutts, May 20, 2006