    How is the image quality compared to a Epson 1280 and how is the image
    quality in general? Speed? Also, any other comments would be welcome.

    thanks

    rbaker3, Jun 5, 2005

  2. rbaker3

    Bill Hilton Guest

    Rick Baker writes ...
    A couple of us on this NG have one, Mark Morgan and me.
    The first time you turn it on it will run thru about $100 worth of ink
    filling the lines and priming the heads. After that initial shock it
    isn't too bad :) Last time I checked it was costing me about 50 cents
    per 11x14" print with the 110 ml carts (would be a bit less with the
    220 ml carts).
    I think so, but the main reason to buy the printer is for the Epson
    inks and accurate ICC profiles so I would recommend against it. For
    example the CIS systems only have one flavor of black ink so you are
    compromised with the softer watercolor or art papers.
    Much, much better since the profiles are more accurate and gray
    balanced (I also have a 1280).
    Fast ... I have a pdf of a review John Paul Caponigro wrote on the 4000
    for a magazine which talks about these issues, email me if you want a
    copy.
    I would recommend that you NOT buy the 4000 however, since it is being
    replaced by the new, improved 4800, which has the new K3 ink set for
    improved black/white performance and better performance with glossy
    papers (ie, no gloss differential). The 4800 (and 2400, 7800 and 9800)
    were just announced about 3 weeks ago. Here's a review of the 9800,
    same printer except 44" wide, by Joe Holmes ...
    http://www.josephholmes.com/news.html

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Jun 5, 2005

  3. rbaker3

    rbaker3 Guest

    Thanks for the information. Much appreciated!

    rbaker3, Jun 5, 2005