    server News.Cable.Ntlworld.com. 504 program fault, function not performed
    configuration account News.Cable.Ntlworld.com server. What I'm I doing
    wrong? I'm just about giving up, Does anyone have a GUN?

    AK, Oct 26, 2003

  2. AK

    ilmc Guest

    AK typed:
    Have you tried text.news.ntlworld.com?
    Or news.individual.net (need a throw-away email address but is otherwise
    free)?
    Both are text only, though.

    ilmc, Oct 26, 2003

  3. AK

    Mara Guest

    Use individual.net instead. (Free.)

    http://news.individual.net/

    "End of problem."

    Mara, Oct 26, 2003
  4. AK

    Ralph Mann Guest

    AK said:
    Get off NTL's binary servers, they are crap at the best of times, use
    text.news.ntlworld.com instead.

    Ralph Mann, Oct 26, 2003
  5. AK

    Ralph Mann Guest

    AK said:
    Your account (over on the left of the screen) is currently
    news.cable.ntlworld.com (or cablecache).
    Set up another account using text.news.ntlworld.com instead/as well.

    Ralph Mann, Oct 26, 2003
  6. AK

    AK Guest

    Where would I find, "text.news.ntlworld.com". I thought it was a web site
    and tried to log-on to it and got the obvious error. Never mind the gun,
    anyone lend me there BRAIN for a while?

    AK, Oct 26, 2003
  7. On 26 Oct 2003, AK wrote
    It's not a website, it's an NNTP news server -- like news.ntlworld.com.

    Set your newsreader to use text.news.ntlworld.com -- like you did when
    you originally set it up to access news.cable.ntlworld.com.

    (The ntl text news server works well for those of us who don't
    use binaries.)

    Harvey Van Sickle, Oct 26, 2003
  8. AK

    AK Guest

    I have registered with News.individual.net. I am just waiting for there
    reply. Then I will have another problem trying to figure our how to get it
    to work?

    AK, Oct 26, 2003
  9. On 26 Oct 2003, AK wrote
    It should work fine, but you'll have to set it up as a new server
    account -- I used to use it, but stopped once ntl introduced the text
    server.

    Unless they've changed things, note that you'll have to include a
    username and password for authentication when you log on to that server
    -- they'll send you that info by e-mail. (This is different to your
    existing ntlworld news server account, where you don't use
    authentication to log on.)

    Harvey Van Sickle, Oct 26, 2003
  10. AK

    Mara Guest

    You put "news.individual.net" as your server under Tools/Accounts/News/Add/News
    and follow the wizard's instructions in OE , or under User and System
    Profile/System/News server in Agent, etc. Providing you enter the server name in
    the right place, your client will then download a list of available groups for
    you (there are no binary groups on I.net.) Once they're downloaded, you
    subscribe to the ones you may want, including this one.

    Note: I.net does not allow munged or invalid From: addresses, except for
    (where x=0-9.) If you decide to use a privacy.net address in
    order to protect your real address, which you should, check the group you're
    gong to be posting in and choose a number that someone else isn't currently
    using.

    "That's just good manners, there."

    <snip>

    Mara, Oct 26, 2003