  1. Rudy Garcia

    Rudy Garcia Guest

    Anyone has any first hand opinions?

    Rudy Garcia, Oct 17, 2003

  2. Rudy Garcia

    Bob Niland Guest

    Imaging Resource just released a detailed
    review:
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DX6490/D64A.HTM

    I only looked at it because I was unfamiliar
    with the model. Since I want 6Mp, I have no
    opinions about the 6490.

    --
    Regards, PO Box 248
    Bob Niland Enterprise

    Unless otherwise specifically stated, expressing
    personal opinions and NOT speaking for any
    employer, client or Internet Service Provider.

    Bob Niland, Oct 17, 2003

  3. Rudy Garcia

    Terry Guest

    Terry, Oct 17, 2003
  4. Rudy Garcia

    Jim Spencer Guest

    I bought it this week, not as much manual control as my OLY 740 but the
    photos and ease of
    use is outstanding and my Oly is going on Ebay. What is it lacking? Manual
    focus and Custom
    White balance, both which I rarely ever used but if they are important to
    you, look elsewhere.
    Why do I think it is better?
    Kodak is 4mp Oly is 3mp
    Movies w/sound No Sound
    Can use ext flash No
    Dock None
    (Actually like the dock and Kodak Easyshare software, gets the pictures OFF
    the memory
    card and on your computer where you can catalog, store and edit very
    easily. )
    HUGE 2.2" LCD 1.5"
    Print Date on Photo NO

    And probably a few more, bottom line is photo quality is outstanding, ease
    of use is excellent,
    it is light and rather compact as far as 10x zooms go. Dell runs a special
    a couple times a month
    10% off and $30 off $400 and higher, brought the price down to $419 for
    me...........SOLD!

    Jim Spencer, Oct 17, 2003
  5. Rudy Garcia

    Pete Guest

    I also have a Oly 7xx and am lusting after the 6490. Based on in-store
    tests, I'd agree with you on the optical quality, esp at the end of
    the zoom range. I do think the Oly fits on your hand better, and I
    prefer its placement of the zoom control lever.

    Does the 6490 have screw threads for attaching filters or an adapter
    tube? I couldn't see any.

    Pete, Oct 17, 2003
  6. Rudy Garcia

    Jim Spencer Guest

    YUP Threads too!

    Jim Spencer, Oct 17, 2003
  7. Rudy Garcia

    Rudy Garcia Guest

    Imaging Resource just released a detailed
    review:
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DX6490/D64A.HTM

    I only looked at it because I was unfamiliar
    with the model. Since I want 6Mp, I have no
    opinions about the 6490.[/QUOTE]

    Thanks. I'll take a look.

    Rudy Garcia, Oct 18, 2003
  8. Rudy Garcia

    Rudy Garcia Guest

    Thanks for the info. I think I'll get one of these.

    Rudy Garcia, Oct 18, 2003
  9. Rudy Garcia

    Paige Miller Guest

    On Stardate 10/16/2003 9:40 PM, the following keys were mysteriously
    typed at Rudy Garcia's keyboard...
    First hand opinion: very easy to use, excellent picture quality, so far
    I was able to take over 70 pictures without any battery problems. But
    I'm still learning all the things this camera can do.

    --
    Paige Miller

    http://home.rochester.rr.com/djpaige/blogger.html

    It's nothing until I call it -- Bill Klem, NL Umpire
    If you get the choice to sit it out or dance,
    I hope you dance -- Lee Ann Womack

    Paige Miller, Oct 19, 2003
  10. Rudy Garcia

    Rudy Garcia Guest

    Thanks Paige. I've ordered one.

    BTW: Anyone else thinking of buying one, my local Costco has the DX6490
    for $469. Presumably other Costco stores have it as well.

    Rudy Garcia, Oct 20, 2003

  11. One irritation is that you can only recharge the battery with the
    camera inserted in the dock. So, the "travel configuration" includes
    the dock.

    I verified this with Kodak support, however, if anyone has another
    opinion, I'm interested. Kodak says it's a basic design limitation
    that can't be fixed by, say, a firmware update.
    Rich

    Richard Hintz, Oct 23, 2003
  12. Rudy Garcia

    Jeff Guest

    (Richard Hintz) wrote in
    The included 5V adapter won't charge the battery?

    Jeff, Oct 24, 2003
  13. Rudy Garcia

    Joe Guest

    Is the 2.2" LCD on the back of the DX6490 as bright as Kodak says it is?
    Kodak says "View brilliant, sharp images even in direct sunlight " Has
    anyone seen it outside?

    It isn't an OLED so I can't see how a conventional LCD can work as well as
    they say it does.

    Thanks

    Joe, Oct 24, 2003
  14. Rudy Garcia

    Ron Hunter Guest

    It is extremely bright, and sharp in a well-lit store, but how it will
    do outside I can't say. It may well use input from the metering system
    to increase the brightness for outdoor use. Perhaps someone who knows
    from experience will tell us. My main objection to this camera is the
    shape, which I find uncomfortable in my hand. LOVE the feature list though.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 24, 2003
  15. Rudy Garcia

    Trevor S Guest

    It is VERY good, I bought one yesterday for my wife, before that she had a
    Nikon 2500, a little "cutsey" P&S that I have now inherited (I have yet to
    get a digital for myself, nothing has struck my fancy at a price I am
    willing to pay), the screen on the 2500 was extremly poor (nearly unusable)
    in daylight, in comparison the 6490 is excellent. I am sure if you had the
    sun shining directly over your shoulder into the screen it would wash out
    but then you could go to the EVF in that case :) and the screen is HUGE and
    very detailed...you can put 10 pics in review mode on it and still see
    detail, amazing

    In Aus, it does not come with a dock but with the travel charger and USB
    cable. No printed manual (a pdf on CD)

    Ease of use is outstanding IMO, if you have someone who is a bit of a
    technophobe (ie my wife), it really is quite good, she has already taken
    pictures. Pictures are very, good. Has some manual control though no
    optical image stabilisation, no manual white balance if these are concerns.
    The main thing I do not like is that the screen does not swivel out of the
    way for protection and to allow you to take over head shots etc, it does
    have a protector over the top of the LCD but I have placed an IPAQ screen
    protector cut to size over that again to hopefully stop any scratching,
    this may be a concern to some.

    --
    Trevor S

    -Albert Einstein

    Trevor S, Oct 24, 2003
  16. Rudy Garcia

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Richard,

    Kodak has considered those that may want to travel and created the KODAK
    Li-Ion Rapid Battery Charger Kit. The Kit is a convenient way to charge
    your KODAK EASYSHARE Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery at home or on the road.
    Recharging is complete in about three hours or less with this lightweight
    and compact battery charger. Charger kit comes with six worldwide plugs
    ranging from 110-240 volts. Please note: batteries are sold separately. Try
    going to the Kodak home page and clicking on the Accessory link to the left.
    Find the accessories for the DX6490 model to find this kit. It is available
    via Rite2U as well as the Li-Ion battery.

    This way you can take your camera anywhere and be able to charge it up
    without issue.

    Talk to you soon, Richard,

    Ron Baird
    Kodak

    Ron Baird, Oct 27, 2003
  17. Rudy Garcia

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I hate to be a wet blanket, but I finally got a chance to really look
    over the 6490 at Best Buy today and whoever decided to put a evf in that
    camera needs to find other employment. It is TERRIBLE. I can't imagine
    using such a terribly low resolution image to frame an image. Such a
    really NICE LCD display and that HORRIBLE evf. Sigh.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 27, 2003

  18. Correct, the workaround is to take the Kodak travel oriented battery
    charger, which is called out later in this thread.
    Rich

    Richard Hintz, Oct 28, 2003
  19. Rudy Garcia

    Christopher Guest

    Just picked up a DX6490 yesterday so it's still too new to comment on at
    length. It augments my 4 year old Kodak DC290 which I'm hanging on to.
    I took a few shots of the fall colors in the back yard. Here are some
    first impressions.

    The camera display was was very clear outdoors in slightly overcast
    conditions. The DC290 display is hopeless outside.

    The EVF takes getting used to. It worked much better after I found the
    diopter adjustment. "Diopter" is not in the User's guide index. Oops.!
    I wear tri-focals and I think the EVF will be OK.

    Auto focus uses framing marks that change color when the focus locks.
    They change to red when the focus is lock. To my mind, an indicator of
    any kind changing red means there's an alert or problem. That threw me
    for a little bit and took a couple of re-reads of the manual.

    Transfer to the Mac via the dock and Easyshare works well. Have been
    used to pulling the memory card from the DC290. I set up my own folder
    as the Easyshare repository. That way I can grab the images and store
    them according the scheme that I've used over the years. Plays nice with
    iPhoto. Will try my Windows 2K machine next.

    Can't comment on the other camera features yet - much to learn compared
    to the DC290.

    Picture quality seems very good given my limited experience with the
    camera. So far, so good.

    ---Chris

    The on-screen auto-focus

    Christopher, Oct 30, 2003