    Does anyone know what the after-sales service is like with
    any of those retailers?

    Thanks,

    Daniel, Nov 12, 2004

  2. Daniel

    Gurble Guest

    LOL!

    You're after service from "the cheapest on pricespy"? That's funny.
    You do realise that many of "the cheapest on pricespy" can't afford to
    offer any form of service, as they're actually running at a loss?
    (often they don't actually realise this until it's too late).

    Someone very wise once said to me:

    "Quality, Service, Low Price...

    Pick any two."

    Unfortunately, these days it would almost be apt to say "Pick any
    one".

    Anyone think of any business, any at all, where the above doesn't
    follow? (I can only think of one).

    Gurble, Nov 12, 2004

  3. Daniel

    Gurble Guest

    (Please note that my comments are in general, and not aimed at the
    businesses listed by the OP, whom I know very little about).

    Gurble, Nov 12, 2004
  4. Daniel

    XPD Guest

    LCQ have been great in person to deal with...... havent had to use them for
    anything after-sales so dont know there.... but Id say theyd be quite happy
    to help out with genuine faults/queries.

    XPD, Nov 12, 2004
  5. Why do you want to buy Samsung?

    Stick with Liteon, Pioneer, Sony or Asus

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 12, 2004
  6. Daniel

    be Guest

    this mob has a store in hamilton, has been there a couple of
    years.

    be, Nov 13, 2004
  7. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Cheapest model I could find that came bundled with Nero 6 Express.
    Software choice is not mine, but, person whom I am looking on
    behalf of.
    What's wrong with Samsung? (I honestly don't know)

    Daniel, Nov 13, 2004
  8. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    I see QMB Computers are now the cheapest - barely. I've read in a
    previous couple of posts that their after-sales service is okay.

    Thanks for the replies.

    Daniel, Nov 13, 2004
  9. Daniel

    XPD Guest

    <HISS>

    QMB are not in my good books at all. Cheap, yes. Theres reasons for that.
    Which have been discussed in this NG many times.

    XPD, Nov 13, 2004
  10. I haven't seen many Samsung drives, they are very much an unknown
    quantity. As such I wouldn't tend to recommend them because they are too
    obscure.

    I know people that swear by BTC drives and they have a wide level of
    penetration into the NZ markets yet they are crap. Some of the Samsung
    drives are crap too.

    The listed brands above are all consistently good. Liteon is the best
    value for money there is.

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 14, 2004
  11. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Okay - that's good to know, cheers.

    Daniel, Nov 14, 2004
  12. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Fair enough. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

    Daniel, Nov 14, 2004
  13. Daniel

    MarkH Guest

    That maybe so, but I know about 8 people that have bought Pioneer DVD
    writers, 2 that have bought Liteon DVD writers and one that has bought an
    Asus writer. The Pioneers and Asus have not missed a beat. Both Liteons
    have failed and needed to be replaced.

    I think that the Pioneers are also easier to find firmware for to make them
    region-free.

    MarkH, Nov 14, 2004
  14. Daniel

    # Guest

    Why bother with region free - just use VLC

    #, Nov 14, 2004
  15. Daniel

    MarkH Guest

    No bother and I don't need another media player, MPlayer works fine for
    what I need.

    I simply mentioned that region-free firmware is fairly easy to find for
    Pioneer DVD drives, there are bound to be people for whom this information
    in helpful.

    MarkH, Nov 14, 2004
  16. Daniel

    # Guest

    Downloading and installing a program like VLC (which completely ignores the
    drive and OS region coding, and just plays the DVD) is probably a much
    simpler and lower risk option for most people than attempting to flash the
    drive with a BIOS hack.

    #, Nov 14, 2004
  17. Daniel

    Craig Shore Guest

    Dunno about that Patrick, there are lots of people complaining all over the net,
    and in Lite-On's forums, with problems. I guess you get that with anything
    though.

    How would you rate LG? I've got a CD Writer of theirs which has been excellent.

    Craig Shore, Nov 14, 2004
  18. not that I need to know, but, whats VLC?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 14, 2004
  19. Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 15/11/2004 10:58:
    Dam good software Video Lan Client, I use it to stream dvd's over the
    local network with extremely good results. The quality has to be seen to
    be believed.
    Statutory comment "Use Google for more info"

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Nov 14, 2004
  20. I don't have a lot of brand knowledge, I just see that the Liteon drives
    have consistently good reviews, they do get a lot of firmware updates
    though.

    Based on the local availability and brand recognition I chose to buy an
    Asus CRW5232AS cd writer, which cost $96, it blows away the crap BTC
    drive.

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 15, 2004