    should work fine with the camera if I can figure out the cables I
    need.

    Thanks

    MichelB, Nov 28, 2003

  2. << I currently own a canon 540ez flash which I would like to use with my
    6490 >>

    Michel-

    From years ago, I recall an adapter that would fit a camera shoe, that had a
    "hot" shoe on top for the flash. It had a cord with a PC connector to plug
    into the camera. You might contact a good camera store, the older the better,
    and see what they have. You might also consider getting an off-camera bracket
    that would accept the hot-shoe adapter.

    You are probably aware that you will not have through-the-lens automation. The
    best you can expect is automatic flash using the photocell on the front of the
    flash. I believe the camera must be set to a fixed aperture determined by the
    ISO setting. There is probably a calculator on the back of the flash, to
    determine what f/stop is required.

    Also, I understand the 540ez flash is rated at a guide number of 54 meters for
    ISO 100, but ONLY when zoomed to the maximum telephoto value. When used on a
    non-Canon camera (or as a slave), the zoom is set to the maximum wide value,
    resulting in a lower guide number. This information is probably listed in the
    flash owner's manual.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Nov 28, 2003

  3. MichelB

    Crownfield Guest

    what does your camera store have to show you?

    Crownfield, Nov 28, 2003
  4. MichelB

    MichelB Guest

    Sorry it took so long to get back. The store I usually go to has gone
    pretty much main stream with very few of these gadgets. They had
    nothing I could use. I am returning the camera. I decided to go with
    the Digital Rebel to replace my old Elan. I just spent my first
    weekend with the Rebel. I just can't go back. It's fun to use an slr
    again. Anyway, thanks for the interest but I now can use the 540ez in
    manual mode with the Rebel until I get a 550ex.

    MichelB, Dec 1, 2003