    Anybody have an opinion about Skype vs traditional VoIP?

    I have to say testing the Beta version on a W98 PC (not supported!)
    was encouraging....(no problems trough NAT)

    René, Oct 22, 2003

  2. There was a slashdot subject on this matter about two weeks ago. Lots of
    opinions there. Have not tried Skype myself, but I think it won't make
    it in the long run, certainly not as a full grown telecom solution.

    The main reason for this is the interconnection. The whole telecom world
    is build on interconnection and since the Skype protocol is not RFC or
    open sourced there is no way to interconnect.

    Arnold

    Arnold Ligtvoet, Oct 22, 2003

  3. René

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Currently with skype you can only talk to other skypesters. For many people
    that's a serious limitation.

    Also you're stuck using your computer rather than telephone equipment.

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, Oct 22, 2003
  4. René

    René Guest

    While this is obviously true, and a negative factor for many, a lot of
    people have a PC on the desk in the office or at home. I myself use
    the PC as a universal communications tool - I had to erect a second
    PC at home so that my kids leave mine alone while chatting over ICQ /
    MSN etc. - the new generation is totally at home using this equipment
    to communicate.

    The new breed of SW seems to show enough convenience and ease of use
    to cross a treshold.

    I am not promoting any way of communication, but I am professionally
    curious in trends as they develop.

    René, Oct 23, 2003
  5. I don't know about you, but in my family, people kind of wander around while
    they talk on the phone. That is why cordless phones are common in the house
    and while kitchen phones have such long cords. Sitting tethered to a
    computer with a headphone on is well -- kind of restraining. I agree first
    and foremost with the prior callers about interconnection, but also think
    that Skype needs to put out an ATAish type device if they want to go it
    alone.

    Stu

    Stuart Friedman, Nov 12, 2003