Any wireless gaming adapters which support WPA2-enterprise?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Ron Lowe, Jan 6, 2006.

  1. Ron Lowe

    Ron Lowe Guest

    As per subject.

    I'd like to connect an XBOX to a WLAN which uses
    WPA2 Enterprise ( RADIUS server based authentication. )

    I can find a few, like the D-link DWL-G820 :
    http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=333
    that support WPA-PSK, but that won't work in the environment
    we have here, and the WLAN is not going to be down-graded
    just for an XBOX.

    WPA2 has been around long enough now, and many domestic routers now support
    it. It seems strange that wireless bridges are not available to use it.
    I can't find one that does WPA2-PSK, never mind WPA2-enterprise!

    I can of course go with a wired solution, and that seems
    the most likely outcome as far as I can see.

    Ron Lowe, Jan 6, 2006

  2. Ron Lowe

    Chris H. Guest

    I agree on your "downgrading" statement, Ron, but I don't believe you're
    going to find support of WPA2 on wireless gaming devices yet. :cool: I would
    suggest you segment your LAN, perhaps following the information in one of
    MVP Barb Bowman's columns on the Expert Zone, starting with her recent
    Optimizing Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, Xbox 360, and Media Center
    Extender Networks here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mce/expert/bowman_extenders.mspx
    She has additional information, including information on segmenting LANs,
    and a Webcast on WPA-based security here:
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    Associate Expert

    Chris H., Jan 6, 2006

  3. Ron Lowe

    TT Guest

    The ZyXEL G-405 wireless ethernet adapter does WPA with 802.1x and EAP but
    I'm not sure about WPA2

    TT, Jan 7, 2006
  4. Ron Lowe

    Guest Guest

    Ron,

    I understand the thinking behind not wanting to downgrade your wireless
    security just for an Xbox, but I think it is less of an issue than you make
    it. Plain old WPA-PSK is virtually uncrackable with a VERY GOOD password.
    I'm talking if you use a random ASCII pw of appropriate length, there is no
    way anyone is going to get to that. These newer standards, while technically
    superior, are unneeded in almost every application. If you have the router
    to support WPA2, there's no reason not to use it, but I wouldn't go spending
    several hundred dollars on a bridge to support it, when WPA-PSK is perfectly
    appropriate. http://www.grc.com/password is a great site for generating
    perfect passwords, and nothing is cached on the site.

    Guest, Jan 7, 2006
  5. Ron Lowe

    Ron Lowe Guest

    Thanks, that is the best I have seen yet.
    Not quite there, but very much headed the right way.

    I don't think what I want actually exists yet, but I reckon
    the next generation of this product probably will do what I want.

    Ron Lowe, Jan 8, 2006
  6. Ron Lowe

    Ron Lowe Guest

    Hi,

    That's probably true for a small home LAN with one or two users and a simple
    wireless router!

    The WLAN I'm talking about is part of an enterprise network that spans the
    four corners of the world, has hundreds of CISCO 1100 and 1200 access points
    all told, and a bunch of RADIUS servers and a certificate infrastructure to
    support it. It took months of discussions and consultations to agree on
    the configuration we have now, and getting any changes would now require an
    Act of God. Like I say, we won't be re-configuring it for such a trivial
    reason!

    Ron Lowe, Jan 8, 2006
  7. Ron Lowe

    a Guest

    why not pay for another line then?

    a, Jan 8, 2006
  8. http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=2&pid=376 will do what you want
    most likely. (access point client mode).

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman MVP-Windows, Jan 9, 2006
  9. Ron Lowe

    Ron Lowe Guest

    Yes, it nearly does.
    However in bridge or client mode, it only works with another identicle
    DWL-7700AP on the other side as the root AP, according to the user manual I
    downloaded.

    Another possible solution was to use a spare Cisco 1100 AP in Workgroup
    Bridge mode. Like the D-Link, they only associate as a client to a Cisco
    root AP. This would work OK, only this configuration only supports Cisco's
    LEAP authentication, from what I've read.

    The only way of doing this wirelessly as far as I can see is to build my own
    Workgroup Bridge using an old laptop with a WPA-2 capable card in it, and
    use XP to create a network bridge between the wireless and wired interfaces.
    But life's too short...

    I've just run cat5 cable to the thing and had done with it!

    Thanks,

    Ron Lowe, Jan 9, 2006
  10. Ron Lowe

    Chris H. Guest

    Chris H., Jan 9, 2006
  11. FWIW, most of these vendors document that they only work with their
    specific whatever as otherwise it is a tech support nightmare. But
    I've had good luck as long it is the same radio chip and both devices
    support WDS. Isn't the Cisco 1100 "b" only? nowhere near good enough
    for gaming..

    Anyway, running hardwired is indeed easier... amd life IS too short
    ;-)

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman MVP-Windows, Jan 9, 2006
  12. Ron Lowe

    Ron Lowe Guest

    That's interesting to know.
    I suspected that the compatability issues may be paper-only.

    I used the term 'Cisco 1100' to generically refer to the 1100 product line.
    All ours have the .11g radios fitted ( otherwise we would not be able to use
    AES encryption of WPA-2 ) which technically makes them model 1121, if my
    memory serves me correctly.

    Ron Lowe, Jan 9, 2006