    that I change the order they're showing from left to right on the Taskbar?
    If it can't be done through XP, is there any freeware available that will do
    what I want?

    The Master of the Known Universe, Jun 17, 2006

  2. The Master of the Known Universe

    SgtMinor Guest

    Try the "Taskbar Shuffle":
    http://www.freewebs.com/nerdcave/taskbarshuffle.htm

    SgtMinor, Jun 17, 2006

  3. The Master of the Known Universe

    Duane Arnold Guest

    What? You simply hold down the CTRL-Key, left-click the icon with the
    mouse on the Taskbar, and drag it to an open area on the TaskBar. You
    should then be able to figure out how to move the icons into the order
    you want.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 17, 2006
  4. The Master of the Known Universe

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Duane Arnold" <""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@[email protected] spewed forth:
    NOT the icons, the buttons for open applications. Those don't move. Windows
    pretty much puts them on the taskbar in the order that the windows or apps
    were opened.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 18, 2006
  5. The Master of the Known Universe

    Paul_B Guest

    I use TaskArrange because it's the only one that didn't require
    turning off icon grouping.

    p.

    Paul_B, Jun 18, 2006
  6. The Master of the Known Universe

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Paul_B spewed forth:
    And you didn't think a link would be helpful?

    Toolman Tim, Jun 18, 2006
  7. The Master of the Known Universe

    Duane Arnold Guest

    OH that! I guess it would be a thing of why would anyone care.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 18, 2006
  8. The Master of the Known Universe

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Duane Arnold" <""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@[email protected] spewed forth:
    Exactly how I felt about it <g>

    There's always the option to open the apps in the order you want them to
    appear on the taskbar...

    Toolman Tim, Jun 18, 2006
  9. The Master of the Known Universe

    Guest Guest

    More efficient work, especially when working with mutiple apps,
    because you know, on a daily basis, where each app is located.

    Guest, Jun 18, 2006
  10. The Master of the Known Universe

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In a spewed forth:
    Ummm...I usually have 10 or more apps running at work, and never get slowed
    down by looking for a button on the taskbar - mostly because my eyes are
    faster than my mouse.

    Actually, I'm teasing. My icons (at least the first 5) are always loaded in
    the same order, and I must agree that it is convenient to know where they
    will (almost) always be.

    That doesn't mean I'm going to install and load one more program just to set
    them up that way.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 18, 2006
  11. The Master of the Known Universe

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Yeah, where on XP?

    Hey, I did pick-up on your tip about the Windows Button and the D-Key to
    minimize all open windows to get back to the desktop. The machine I have at
    work doesn't have the Show Desktop icon in the Quick Launch area, which I
    always used. So, the Win/D-key is just as good.

    I even copied the QL shortcut from another machine and placed it there and
    it worked for awhile and stopped working when the network was lost. Why it
    stopped working I don't know.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 18, 2006
  12. The Master of the Known Universe

    Duane Arnold Guest

    I work with several apps opened and minimized down on the Task Bar. It never
    concerned me as to what order they were in on the Taskbar.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 18, 2006
  13. The Master of the Known Universe

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Duane Arnold spewed forth:
    Well, there are startup managers that can do that. Or manually starting the
    apps in the order desired.
    That IS weird. Once it's there, it shouldn't get messed up. Then again,
    being on a network, there may be policies in place that make no sense.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 18, 2006
  14. The Master of the Known Universe

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi MOTKU - The program you need is called ButtonBoogie 2.0, available still
    free here: http://www.freewaretool.de/files/btnboog.zip

    From PCMag:

    ButtonBoogie is fully supported under Windows 95, 98, Me, NT 4.0, and 2000.
    The program doesn't work under Windows XP, because Windows XP implements the
    taskbar in a completely different way from other Windows platforms.

    In 2001 the original ButtonBoogie solved this problem for Windows 9x, NT, &
    2000. I could now move my buttons around at will. Unfortunately, when
    Microsoft released XP, it changed the architecture of the taskbar and left
    ButtonBoogie out in the cold.

    Enter ButtonBoogie 2.0. Our latest version now works in XP, so you can
    arrange your taskbar buttons freely. We've also made several new
    enhancements that empower you to . . .

    --
    Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP/DTS/AH-VSOP
    My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

    Jim Byrd, Jun 18, 2006
  15. I was waiting for that! :eek:)
    The reason I want to be able to move the buttons around is because I like to
    have them in a particular order so that they're always in the same place --
    I don't even need to look at them since I know where they are. Of course I
    open them in the order I want to start off, but sometimes (rarely,
    admittedly) one of the applications crashes. It's always the same
    application and it's the one I like to have furthest to the left. So to get
    all the buttons back in the order before the app crashed I have to close all
    the apps and re-open them in the order I want. It'd be handy to be able to
    re-open the crashed app and then drag its button to the left of the others.

    The Master of the Known Universe, Jun 18, 2006
  16. The Master of the Known Universe, Jun 18, 2006
  17. The Master of the Known Universe, Jun 18, 2006
  18. The Master of the Known Universe

    Duane Arnold Guest

    It sounds like a poorly written application or one that doesn't work
    with XP well.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 18, 2006
  19. The Master of the Known Universe

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Jim Byrd, Jun 18, 2006
  20. The Master of the Known Universe

    Spuds Guest

    FWIW, you can also use Win-M (for minimize). Works the same.

    Spuds, Jun 18, 2006