Any voip.co.uk users suffering from call routing problems?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Roger Mills, Aug 29, 2007.

  1. Roger Mills

    Roger Mills Guest

    I've recently started using voip.co.uk - and selected the 01926 area code
    for my voip numbers - which is consistent with where I live.

    However, I can't receive any incoming calls from outside the voip system
    (e.g. from a BT line or mobile) but get an unobtainable tone from a BT phone
    and "Number not in use" from a mobile.

    Voip.co.uk have known about the problem for over two weeks but don't seem to
    have been able to fix it in that time. It's apparently some sort of routing
    problem - akin to DNS in internet terms - and some vital pointer is missing.
    [As a temporary measure, they have given me an extra number with a different
    area code (01223 - Cambridge) and that works fine - but it's not easy to
    explain to people why they need to dial a Cambridge number to reach me in
    Warwick!]

    Anyone know whether this sort of thing is a common problem - and/or how to
    get voip.co.uk to put a bit more urge into fixing it? They (or rather
    Chris - is he a one-man band?) say that the routing tables are maintained by
    people over whom they have no control.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Aug 29, 2007

  2. Roger Mills

    BC Guest

    Same thing happened with a work colleague when she signed up with
    voip.co.uk, she was their first customer to take a Walsall (01922)
    number. She reported the problem to voip.co.uk who initially said it
    wasn't an issue with their systems as everything was set up properly,
    but all the mobile companies and Virginmedia said the fault lay with voip.

    It turned out the problem was with their routing (or rather the company
    that issues voip.co.uk's numbers), once they diagnosed the problem it
    was resolved within a day. The number range hadn't been updated
    correctly on their carriers switches. I believe Chris dealt with that
    one too.

    BC, Aug 29, 2007

  3. Roger Mills

    Jono Guest

    Roger Mills explained :
    I had issues similar to what you describe with a Sipgate number.

    Calls from BT/Orange/Vodafone all failed with unobtainable.

    I could call perfectly well if I used my BT line with the 1899 prefix.

    BT & Vodafone eventually started working after a few days (I had
    reported it as a fault with each of them)

    Orange took over three weeks to fix - I eventually got a call from NTL
    to say they'd fixed the problem - I haven't got an NTL line, BTW.

    Absolutely nothing to do with Sipgate.

    If you ring any "regular" supplier with a problem with a VoIP number,
    they will do nothing but tell you that the problem lies with the VoIP
    supplier. Best practise is to never mention the word VoIP to them - all
    they need is the number.

    At the end of the day, your issue could lie with voip.co.uk's
    termination company, or somewhere else.

    All I'm really saying is report it to BT & to your mobile co as a fault
    (without mentioning VoIP) as well as to voip.co.uk.

    Jono, Aug 29, 2007
  4. Roger Mills

    Ivor Jones Guest

    [snip]

    : : I had issues similar to what you describe with a
    : : Sipgate number.
    : :
    : : Calls from BT/Orange/Vodafone all failed with
    : : unobtainable.
    : :
    : : I could call perfectly well if I used my BT line with
    : : the 1899 prefix.
    : :
    : : BT & Vodafone eventually started working after a few
    : : days (I had reported it as a fault with each of them)
    : :
    : : Orange took over three weeks to fix - I eventually got
    : : a call from NTL to say they'd fixed the problem - I
    : : haven't got an NTL line, BTW.
    : :
    : : Absolutely nothing to do with Sipgate.

    Ssshh..! Don't tell Ron..!

    Ivor

    (Sorry, couldn't resist..!)

    Ivor Jones, Aug 30, 2007
  5. Roger Mills

    David Floyd Guest

    Well it's about time you grew up and learned to resist. Most of the
    trouble in this newsgroup is because of you goading him, or you taking
    the bait. Just learn to ignore him.

    I'm making a statement not asking a question, so there is no need for
    you to reply.

    DF

    David Floyd, Aug 30, 2007
  6. Roger Mills

    Ivor Jones Guest

    [snip]

    : : : (Sorry, couldn't resist..!)
    : :
    : : Well it's about time you grew up and learned to resist.
    : : Most of the trouble in this newsgroup is because of you
    : : goading him, or you taking the bait.

    Or (just possibly) him goading me.

    : : Just learn to ignore him.

    I cannot and will not ignore someone when they are attacking me
    personally. Why didn't *you* ignore me..?

    : : I'm making a statement not asking a question, so there
    : : is no need for you to reply.

    Sorry, but I have to. You make a statement that concerns me so I must
    address it.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 30, 2007
  7. Roger Mills

    Ed Straker Guest

    And herein lies the problem that is killing this newsgroup.

    You are as bad as he is.

    Pathetic.

    Ed.

    Ed Straker, Aug 30, 2007
  8. Roger Mills

    Ivor Jones Guest

    : : On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 00:19:20 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    : :
    : : : Ssshh..! Don't tell Ron..!
    : : :
    : : : Ivor
    : : :
    : : : (Sorry, couldn't resist..!)
    : :
    : : And herein lies the problem that is killing this
    : : newsgroup.
    : :
    : : You are as bad as he is.
    : :
    : : Pathetic.

    In your opinion. *I* was attempting humour, he does not, he is deadly
    serious.

    But at least I don't complain at you for expressing your opinion.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 30, 2007
  9. Roger Mills

    Ed Straker Guest

    I'll say this, although I am probably wasting my time.

    As the person who started this (otherwise) excellent newsgroup, you
    should be big enough to ignore the ramblings of a total fool.

    Ed.

    Ed Straker, Aug 31, 2007
  10. Roger Mills

    Ivor Jones Guest

    : : On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 21:48:14 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    : :
    : : : In your opinion. *I* was attempting humour, he does
    : : : not, he is deadly serious.
    : :
    : : I'll say this, although I am probably wasting my time.
    : :
    : : As the person who started this (otherwise) excellent
    : : newsgroup, you should be big enough to ignore the
    : : ramblings of a total fool.

    I do ignore them. But I reserve the right to comment on them or even joke
    about them. There's a difference.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 31, 2007
  11. Roger Mills

    Ed Straker Guest

    As we all do.

    However, the difference you mention above frequently leads to a
    slanging match between yourself and the 'group fool'. This is what
    reduces the value of this group and makes people 'switch off'.

    My sincere advice is to completely ignore him and not comment. Trolls
    usually move on when there is no food, and even if he doesn't, let him
    have his life of solitude and ignore his pathetic grammar and lack of
    a real knowledge of VOIP and it's providers.

    Ed.

    Ed Straker, Aug 31, 2007
  12. Roger Mills

    Jono Guest

    Ivor Jones used his keyboard to write :
    The only problem now, though, is you appear to be the instigator more
    often than not, these days. :-(

    Jono, Aug 31, 2007
  13. Roger Mills

    Herman Guest

    There's no difference if yet another thread is hijacked by an argument
    worthy of a school playground.

    The feuds between you two are a real turnoff and it's just a shame that we
    all have to scan something that is essentially nothing to do with the
    subject matter of the newsgroup.

    Stick to the positive contributions you both make and the group will be a
    lot more readable!

    Herman, Aug 31, 2007
  14. Roger Mills

    Linker3000 Guest

    Yes,

    We had this when we first setup an Asterisk server connected to
    voip.co.uk about a year or so ago. We have 30 offices in various
    locations along the South Coast and up to Cambridgeshire and we had a
    handful that could not ring our new IT support number - they got a
    recorded message or their calls just went nowhere. It took voip.co.uk
    about 7-10 days to sort it out.

    Linker3000, Sep 1, 2007
  15. Roger Mills

    Ivor Jones Guest

    message
    [snip]

    : : The feuds between you two are a real turnoff and it's
    : : just a shame that we all have to scan something that is
    : : essentially nothing to do with the subject matter of
    : : the newsgroup.

    He started the argument and only he can finish it. It is out of my hands.
    I cannot and will not ignore personal insults. Address your complaints to
    him.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 1, 2007
  16. Roger Mills

    Roger Guest

    Ivor
    sorry but this isn't a sesnible attitude to take and is worthy of your
    opponent. You do have some very positive contributions to make, and
    obviously you put the effort in to get this group off the ground but people
    are now considering putting you in their killfile - and then Rons won. That
    would be a very sorry state of affairs. No-one else on here believes the
    insults so do like the rest of us and ignore them please .
    Roger.

    Roger, Sep 1, 2007
  17. Roger Mills

    Ivor Jones Guest

    [snip]

    : : sorry but this isn't a sesnible attitude to take and is
    : : worthy of your opponent. You do have some very positive
    : : contributions to make, and obviously you put the effort
    : : in to get this group off the ground but people are now
    : : considering putting you in their killfile - and then
    : : Rons won. That would be a very sorry state of affairs.
    : : No-one else on here believes the insults so do like the
    : : rest of us and ignore them please .
    : : Roger.

    I can't help it if you don't think it's sensible. The fact remains that
    only the person who started the argument can finish it. Understand that or
    not as you choose. If you want to killfile me go ahead, I can't stop you,
    but I will continue to defend myself against personal attack whether you
    like it or not.

    I do not propose to comment further (unless you attack me personally, that
    is).

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 1, 2007
  18. Roger Mills

    Jono Guest

    Ivor Jones brought next idea :
    FGS

    Jono, Sep 1, 2007
  19. Roger Mills

    alexd Guest

    Do you think that's justification for poisoning this thread with your petty
    little dispute?

    alexd, Sep 1, 2007
  20. Roger Mills

    Roger Guest

    This will be my last comment on this matter

    1) I didnt say "I dont think its sensible" I said "It isnt sensible"
    2)"Only the person who started the arguement can finish it" isnt a fact its
    an emotional response
    3) I didnt say I wanted to killfile you - I was referring to the earlier
    emails in the thread

    Roger, Sep 1, 2007