Any thoughts/comparisons on Canon SX1 and SX10

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Nick, Feb 28, 2009.

  1. Nick

    Nick Guest

    I want to buy a new camera.
    Don't want and can't justify the purchase of a DSLR, also don't want a p&s
    but I do require something that is easily portable.
    A good zoom range would be useful, good macro facilities a neccessity.
    The 2 Canons above seem to fit my requirements.
    The SX1 has the 'advantage' of a CMOS sensor.
    I have read a lot on this ng and also many reviews but still don't know what
    camera to go for.
    Any thoughts on these or suggestions for alternatives would be much
    appreciated.
    You blokes know your stuff and generally fair advice is given on this ng.
    Usage will be mainly work related stuff for archives and family snaps.
    The ability to take short videos a bonus. Storage media doesn't matter too
    much.

    I have not bought a camera in 10 years so am not really up to speed with new
    developments.
    Many thanks

    Nick, Feb 28, 2009

  2. Nick

    ASAAR Guest

    Both do videos better than most other cameras and record stereo
    sound. For the purposes stated, both should be fine, with each
    model having a minor advantage or two that the other doesn't match,
    but the differences are slight. Check them in a store though, as
    they've grown a bit in size and weight compared with their previous
    portable but others may find them borderline bulky. As for weights,
    they are 14.5, 15.9 and 19.8 oz. for the S3 IS, S5 IS and SX10.

    ASAAR, Feb 28, 2009

  3. Nick

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Well, some blokes perhaps. If you can stand the price differential the
    newer SX1 sounds good, particularly if you're interested in movie mode.
    Personally, I never use it. The flash bracket on either is a plus. I've
    had good luck with canon although my model is quite a bit earlier.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Mar 1, 2009
  4. Dave Cohen wrote:
    []
    []
    Dave Cohen

    You should try it sometime - a short movie burst with sound can sometimes
    capture the atmosphere of an event in a way which still photos do not.
    The two are complementary, and you may be pleased with the result.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Mar 1, 2009
  5. Nick

    mianileng Guest

    I agree with that. It's only when some people expect it to serve
    as a full-fledged substitute for a dedicated video camera that
    they get disappointed.

    mianileng, Mar 1, 2009
  6. Nick

    83LowRider Guest

    "Nick" wrote

    <snip>

    I've been very pleased with my SX10, tho I'm new to
    digital cameras... I read reviews for many days before
    opting for this particular camera. The only real critics
    of the camera were those complaining about low
    light shots. Wide angle, great zoom, and finally, the
    video capabilities were the final selling point for me.
    While not high def, the video is h264 format, making
    for great video at considerably smaller size. Also, in
    regards to video, most all cameras cut off automatically
    after 8-12 minutes. The SX10 shuts off after 4gb, or 1 hour.
    After filming a recent concert, it reached 4gb in 52 minutes.
    Simply pushing the RECORD button, cranked it right back
    up again. I recorded the 90 minute show, and have since
    taken about 200 pictures, and still using the same 4
    alkaline batteries. The loudness of the concert overpowered
    the stereo mics, giving it too much 'boom', but the results
    were overall very good. Shot from the uppermost balcony,
    you can check out the video here.. (the camera pulled in much
    closer than we could actually see ourselves, from the nosebleed
    section. If you watch, click the HIGH QUALITY link.

    83LowRider, Mar 3, 2009