    the length of the recording, etc. and NOT have to subscribe to or in some
    way use any channel guide service?
    Michael S.

    Michael S., Sep 14, 2003

  2. How else would they work?

    I have the E50 though I don't use it like a vcr you could
    certainly do so.

    Darrel :)

    Darrel Christenson, Sep 14, 2003

  3. Michael S.

    Michael S. Guest

    Darrel--I had the impression that TIVOs and others required a subscription
    to some kind of channel guide service which I don't want since I know which
    programs on which channels I wish to record, thus the subscription would be
    a waste of money for me. Thus, from your response, I assume that at least
    the E50 can be used similarly to a VCR. Thanks
    Michael S.

    Michael S., Sep 14, 2003
  4. Well you didn't ask about TIVOs and their like, you asked about
    stand along dvd recorders - totally differnet animals. :D

    Darrel :)

    Darrel Christenson, Sep 14, 2003
  5. Michael S.

    Mark E Guest

    So whats a "stand along" DVD recorder? Are they for electronic decoration?
    j/k hehe

    Mark E, Sep 14, 2003
  6. Michael S.

    Michael S. Guest

    Sorry Mark and Darrel that I was unclear--I actually am interested in both
    the hard drive recorders and the DVD recorders as "stand alone" units for my
    HT system as opposed to those same equivalents that would be found in
    computers. It sounds as though the DVD plus or minus RW stand alone
    recorders must work like a VCR, so I would assume that they have a TV tuner
    in some of them--correct?

    Then that brings up the Personal Video Recorders like TIVO as an
    example--are any of those units able to be set by the user like a VCR and
    not require a subscription to some sort of electronic program guide??

    Michael S.

    Michael S., Sep 14, 2003
  7. I can speak for the Panasonic series, the E models for sure and
    probably the ones with hard drives as well.
    That one I'll have to defer to someone else, my experience with
    them is limited.

    Darrel :)

    Darrel Christenson, Sep 14, 2003
  8. Michael S.

    luminos Guest

    Absolutely...that is the way they work. Using DVD-RAM on a Panasonic you
    can time shift...otherwise record on DVD-R just like tape. The panas have
    good timer recording logic.

    luminos, Sep 14, 2003
  9. Michael S.

    luminos Guest

    I meant to say 'time slip' which is what you can do with a TIVO - pause the
    show then come back and continue where you left off watching while the unit
    records ahead.

    luminos, Sep 14, 2003
  10. I believe the E80 has the hard drive and can do TIVO like pause and record
    as well as use it like a VCR without recording to the disc. This is one I'm
    considering, but have not started researching it yet.

    Steve

    Steve Knoblock, Sep 14, 2003
  11. Michael S.

    luminos Guest

    All Panasonic models can do this when using DVD-RAM.

    luminos, Sep 14, 2003
  12. Thank you. I am cautious about the idea of rewriting to a disc over and
    over. I wonder if the performance is just as good with the disc as the HD?
    It would seem the HD would be more responsive.

    Steve

    Steve Knoblock, Sep 14, 2003
  13. Michael S.

    luminos Guest

    At these data rates there is no advantage.

    luminos, Sep 14, 2003
  14. Michael S.

    Richard C. Guest

    My Panasonic E30 does......

    =========
    : By work like a VCR, I mean just that--set the channel, the start time and
    : the length of the recording, etc. and NOT have to subscribe to or in some
    : way use any channel guide service?
    : Michael S.
    :
    :

    Richard C., Sep 16, 2003
  15. Michael S.

    Matt Ackeret Guest

    Yes. I know it was mentioned in passing in previous articles, but the
    Panasonic DMR-E80 is the current version that has a hard drive and a DVD
    recorder.

    You can record to the hard drive, edit the recording (e.g. remove
    commercials), then record to DVD.

    and as others have mentioned, you can use DVD-RAM for re-writable
    removable storage. While most DVD *players* will not play DVD-RAM,
    Panasonic (and possibly others) have some that do. I've seen the low end
    Panasonic player that plays them under $80 in Fry's ads. (I could see
    getting one for another room to be able to record stuff to DVD-RAM and
    take it there.)

    I don't even have one yet, but $502.28 is the current lowest price I see from
    dealtime, including shipping. That's awfully tempting, especially since
    most of the standalone dvd recorders are $399. (Adding the hard drive gives
    a LOT of features/flexibility.)

    Matt Ackeret, Sep 17, 2003
  16. Michael S.

    Matt Ackeret Guest

    BTW, if you can put up with some nag screens, the series 1 Tivos can be
    used without a subscription. You can even get refurbished ones for $105
    including shipping, based upon a post on alt.video.ptv.tivo.

    BTW II -- even though I will also be getting a DMR-E80 as a standalone
    recorder, I also have a Tivo with lifetime subscription. This sounds like
    a cult thing, but since I was one of the "why do I need a subscription?"
    people beforehand, it really is useful once you try it... I do wish that
    there was a subscription "sharing" feature like there is on DirecTivos
    though.. If there was, then I'd probably have several more standalone Tivos.

    Matt Ackeret, Sep 17, 2003