  1. DC

    DC Guest

    Read last week's threads. Asked and answered, many times.

    DC, Aug 21, 2004

  2. DC

    Deano Plenty Guest

    Mass storage devices finally will work after installing it. Don't install RM
    converter from boilsoft it will knock out windows media player. Checkmarking
    open with and always open with still doesn't fix the problem. Can only use
    open with, with a right click. Sp2 may adversely affect upload speed though
    only when using internet explorer. There is a built in popup blocker. As for
    viruses and spyware i don't see any difference. The turn firewall off option
    didn't seem to work for me.

    Deano Plenty, Aug 21, 2004

  3. DC

    MahaRaj Guest

    Hi
    Anybody downloaded XP SP2 yet?
    how is it behaving?
    Any thing you liked?
    disliked?
    Felt any improvement in browsing/surfing internet?

    Please share your experience to the group

    --
    MahaRaj
    Sorry about the time thingy.

    MahaRaj, Aug 21, 2004
  4. DC

    Ron Martell Guest

    There is an emerging issue involving the Intel i865 and i875 chipsets
    and the Intel "Prescott" CPUs on at least some systems.

    If serious problems (e.g. won't boot into Windows) occur the escape
    route is to go into BIOS setup and disable the L1 and L2 cache, boot
    into Windows, uninstall SP2, and then turn the L1 and L2 cache back on
    again.

    This has not yet been confirmed as a problem with all such systems,
    but there are have been a number of instances of it.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Aug 21, 2004
  5. DC

    mdp Guest

    I may be in the minority given the nature of newsgroups but it works great
    (XP Pro). Desktop is an Asus A78NX-E Deluxe (XP3200+) and laptop is a Dell
    Inspiron 600m (Centrino-1700). Office 2000 is on both machines, works
    fine. IE-6 is much snappier. No noticeable affect to AOL 9.0. Boots
    quicker, shutdown seems the same.

    mdp, Aug 21, 2004
  6. DC

    Pennywise Guest

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 16:30:25 -0400, "Deano Plenty"

    |>The turn firewall off option
    |>didn't seem to work for me.

    No it doesn't.
    Run firewall.cpl, go to advanced, open the ICMP settings and allow
    everything.
    You have to turn it off and allow everything to really turn it off..

    Pennywise, Aug 22, 2004