    Are there any?

    Thanks,

    Fred.

    Fred Finisterre, Sep 22, 2006

  2. Fred Finisterre

    Joan Guest

    What about one that uses AA batteries?

    --
    Joan

    :I have a Casio Exilim EX-S100 but am fed up having to carry the power
    brick
    : and docking stations around.
    :
    : Would prefer a camera that just charged and transferred pics via a
    single
    : USB cable.
    :
    : Are there any?
    :
    : Thanks,
    :
    : Fred.
    :
    :

    Joan, Sep 22, 2006

  3. Check out:

    http://shopping.discovery.com/product-59132.html

    It is a slightly different model than the one I have, but I believe it
    fits your description. At least the model I have does. Mine has the flash
    separate and is a bit less expensive and less MP as I recall.

    Joseph Meehan, Sep 22, 2006
  4. Fred Finisterre

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    Why not just carry a USB cable and a spare battery with your Casio?

    Shawn Hirn, Sep 23, 2006
  5. Fred Finisterre

    Stewy Guest

    I don't think there are any cameras where you can download pictures AND
    charge the battery with the same cable. The easy solution is to buy a
    camera that takes 2 AA NiMh batteries and a 4 battery charger. These
    chargers will usually charge 2 batteries quickly (1 hour) combined with
    a card reader or a portable storage device. This way you can still use
    the camera while the batteries are charging

    Stewy, Sep 30, 2006
  6. I have one. In fact that is the only way to charge the battery. The
    memory is removable so that can be read by a standard card reader, but it
    can also be accessed while you are charging it off the USB assuming you have
    the card in the camera.

    Joseph Meehan, Sep 30, 2006
  7. Fred Finisterre

    Ron Hunter Guest

    It really isn't unfeasible to have the same cable both charge, and send
    data. My Magellan eXplorist 400 does this. For compact cameras with
    lithium ion batteries, this is feasible, although slow.

    Ron Hunter, Sep 30, 2006
  8. Fred Finisterre

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Had you posted the make and model of the camera, you would have helped
    the original poster.... and satisfied our curiosity.

    Ron Hunter, Sep 30, 2006
  9. Fred Finisterre

    SMS Guest

    It would add expense to have both a slow in-camera charger that used the
    limited current from a USB port, plus an external charger for fast
    charging. It would be a nice feature, but I don't think you'll ever see
    it because USB-only charging is so slow.

    Joseph Meehan, Sep 30, 2006
  11. Just for the record the model I have is identified as Oregon Scientific
    DS6628.

    The total estimated recharge time is two hours and is good for about 500
    images. For my use of this camera that works out fine.

    Joseph Meehan, Sep 30, 2006
  12. Fred Finisterre

    Guest Guest

    So far the best compromise I have found with my HP 707 is to carry more than
    one battery.
    These are 3.7v Li Ion rechargeable batteries. I have a dock mounted on my
    PC. It is connected to the PC with a USB cable and a power cable connected
    to a transformer and 110v AD wall plug.
    When on cruise Ships I have to make sure that I have a filtering device
    connected to the power transformer when charging the battery. I am still
    looking for a 12 volts charging system.
    With my GPS (Magellan Meridian) I charge the AA Li Ion battery in a separate
    charger. When on my sailboat or my car I connect the GPS into a 12 volts
    outlet.

    Guest, Sep 30, 2006
  13. Fred Finisterre

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Hummm. A camera from Oregon Scientific. My guess is that it isn't a
    DSLR, or even a 4mp or greater. Not to belittle OS, as I also have
    their products, but it isn't the company I would look to buy a digital
    camera from. Glad it serves your needs.

    Ron Hunter, Sep 30, 2006
  14. Fred Finisterre

    Ron Hunter Guest

    My camera is used one a month, or less, and for 50 or less pictures,
    unless I am on vacation. I am sure a USB recharge would serve my needs
    well 99% of the time. For the other 1%, there are disposable lithium
    batteries...

    Ron Hunter, Sep 30, 2006
  15. I have a Canon 20D as well (and a few film cameras) but it serves it
    purpose well; a light thin cheap camera that I am likely to have with me
    when I am not expecting to need one. Considering everything it does well.
    I doubt if they make it, no doubt it is just re-badged.

    Joseph Meehan, Sep 30, 2006
  16. The Samsung NV serie does it. I have the NV3. It comes with a
    special cable with USB on the computer end and a special
    connector on the camera end. It doesn't take long to charge the
    battery, but OTOH it's not good for more than 200 shot on one
    charge. The camera charges automatically when you connect it,
    showing a red or green light on the cable head. If you turn the
    camera power on it will connect to the camera as an external
    drive. Very fast USB 2.0 transfer.
    But your right the Samsung NV's is not the cheapest compacts

    Vidar Grønvold, Oct 1, 2006