    a commercial presentation of this type?

    Thanks for any comments.

    (My email works, if you prefer to respond privately.)

    Charles Schuler, Jun 6, 2006

  2. Charles Schuler

    Mark² Guest

    You might need to describe it in greater detail to enable useful commentary.
    But in general... unless it is *uniquely* informative, few people are
    likely to pay for any presentation on digital photography. There are TONS
    of resources already available for free on the internet...which means you've
    got to have something pretty special to convince folks to pay.

    Perhaps you could link to a sample to give a better idea of what you're
    talking about.

    -Mark²

    Mark², Jun 7, 2006

  3. You're a pro photography teacher and using PP??? Kinda an oxymoron.

    John McWilliams, Jun 7, 2006
  4. Charles Schuler

    Mark² Guest

    Not me... You need to talk to Charles...

    Mark², Jun 7, 2006
  5. Charles Schuler

    kctan Guest

    There is nothing wrong using PP for presentation and "teaching" photographic
    theories.

    kctan, Jun 7, 2006
  6. Charles Schuler

    Mark² Guest

    Again... Not my statement.
    I have no problem with PP.
    :)

    Mark², Jun 7, 2006
  7. Charles Schuler

    Mark B. Guest

    What's wrong with using PowerPoint as a presentation tool?

    Mark

    Mark B., Jun 7, 2006
  8. Charles Schuler

    Pat Guest

    Pat, Jun 7, 2006
  9. Charles Schuler

    Gordo Guest

    Power Point is not the problem. It is those who mis-use and/or choose the
    wrong tools and techniques when presenting their subject matter. Perhaps
    like using a screwdriver when an chisel is appropriate, etc., etc. It has
    now escalated to where when some people see a Power Point presentation, they
    automatically close their minds.

    Is there a significantly superior alternative for Power Point?

    I also teach photo editing and Word to seniors.

    Gordo

    What's wrong with PowerPoint as a presentation tool? For a photography
    workshop it might be okay, but for other uses it might be fatal -- I
    mean really fatal. It is thought that PowerPoint was a contributing
    factor in the space shuttle Columbia disaster. How many other pieces
    of software might actually be lethal?

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/29/AR2005082901444_pf.html

    Gordo, Jun 7, 2006
  10. Charles Schuler

    Pat Guest

    On the space shuttle, the actual problem was PowerPoint. Before
    PowerPoint (BP?), the engineers wrote long, boring "white papers" with
    tons of calculations that make their point. The actual issue with
    Columbia had been discovered. But mgt. wanted PowerPoint and it did
    not, by its nature, allow the engineers to put into it all of the
    calcs, est., hunches, etc that they would put into a 40 page white
    paper. So they presented it as a PPP but mgt failed to recognize it as
    a serious problem.

    A while back I read something like the typical chart can have something
    like 50 pieces of information, but in PP you can't get over about 15.
    That, and bullet points, is the problem. So, yes, for teaching Word to
    seniors it is probably a great tool, but for trying it fails when its
    used by rocket scientists.

    Pat, Jun 7, 2006
  11. Thou protesteth too much! And, my bad on indifferent quoting previous.

    I have no more to say on the ignorance of PP 'n' photography.

    John McWilliams, Jun 7, 2006
  12. Using PS CS allows one to not only set up a slide show, but use PS
    directly on any given "slide" to illustrate what's being taught.

    John McWilliams, Jun 7, 2006
  13. Charles Schuler

    J. Clarke Guest

    Nothing prevents them from putting 40 pages of fine text on the screen using
    PowerPoint if that's what they need to do.
    Whoever wrote that did not know how to use PowerPoint. A slide can contain
    just about _anything_, as long as the application in which it was created
    supports OLE and is installed on the machine on which the presentation is
    being run.
    Only because the rocket scientists don't really know how to make it show
    what they want to show.

    J. Clarke, Jun 7, 2006
  14. Charles Schuler

    J. Clarke Guest

    Can PS CS embed spreadsheets and videos and the like in the slide show?

    J. Clarke, Jun 7, 2006
  15. Thanks to all who posted. The topic drift was as expected.

    Charles Schuler, Jun 7, 2006
  16. Charles Schuler

    TMG Guest

    So, what does that tell us about MS interface design?

    - Another of those professors/instructors/teachers

    TMG, Jun 8, 2006
  17. Charles Schuler

    J. Clarke Guest

    Absolutely nothing. They'd do just as poorly with a Mac. The problem is
    that they don't have a clue how to put a multimedia presentation together,
    not that they don't know how to push the buttons.

    J. Clarke, Jun 8, 2006
  18. Charles Schuler

    RW+/- Guest

    IOW's, a successful troll, eh?

    RW+/-, Jun 8, 2006
  19. How many rocket scientists do you know?

    I resent the rocket scientist bashing. Power point is the
    preferred presentation form and is in wide use in
    scientific meetings, and its use by many scientists,
    including rocket scientists, is usually very well done.

    Having done hundreds of power point presentations,
    both scientific and photographic, I find power point
    works well for many types of applications.

    Powerpoint is one of the best tools M$ bought ;-).

    Roger
    (current space flight Science Teams:
    Cassini orbiting Saturn,
    Mars Global Surveyor orbiting Mars,
    Chandrayan-1 lunar orbiter (launch 2008))

    http://www.clarkvision.com

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Jun 8, 2006
  20. Charles Schuler

    TMG Guest

    I substituted different, similarly challenged science staffs.

    Consider an analysis that *requires*, say, 10 dimensions. The toolset
    that can properly display the results isn't PowerPoint.

    It isn't even PowerPoint if it were tied into MS Analysis Services, if
    MS Analysis Services were a good enough tool to do the basic MOLAP
    number crunching - which it never is.

    The info lost shoving said analysis into pretty slides is occasionally
    important.
    Well, I wasn't the one that mentioned rocket scientists. I questioned an
    interface that was questionable. An interesting point is the repeated
    points made by the managers of the rocket scientists that PowerPoint is
    killing people.
    Except sometimes - when it ends up killing people.

    Richard Feynman's focus on root cause analysis can *still* teach us all
    something. Sometimes it's cold o-rings, sometimes it's other bad tools.
    High praise indeed.
    Excellent - we can also question Excel now. That whole meters <-> feet
    problem. :)

    I assume you didn't grind the Hubble glass, or we can open up a
    different can of worms re: how poor communication tools lead to
    "spherical aberration".

    TMG -
    (also a working science PhD, watching this every day)

    TMG, Jun 8, 2006