    (Nikkai N65AU - 12v in; 230vAC out), I thought I'd ask if anyone had
    experienced any problems or issues with doing this.

    Thanks for any feedback - positive or negative!

    Alan F Cross, Jan 14, 2004

  2. Alan F Cross

    steve Guest

    I have done this from time to time with no adverse results. However the
    first few times I did so I monitored the charger closely watching for
    extra heating or other odd results.

    The only 'problem' was making sure I remembered to unplug the inverter
    after I finished charging the battery since I was camping and really
    didn't want to have to try to find a nice soul to jump start my vehicle.

    The results you get will probably depend on the type of inverter you
    get. A 'true sine wave' inverter is basically indistinguishable from
    mains power, but typically costs more than a 'modified' sine wave
    inverter. My experience is based upon a Coleman PMP200 12V to 120V 60 Hz
    inverter.

    steve

    steve, Jan 14, 2004

  3. Alan F Cross

    steve Guest

    I have done this from time to time with no adverse results. However the
    first few times I did so I monitored the charger closely watching for
    extra heating or other odd results.

    The only 'problem' was making sure I remembered to unplug the inverter
    after I finished charging the battery since I was camping and really
    didn't want to have to try to find a nice soul to jump start my vehicle.

    The results you get will probably depend on the type of inverter you
    get. A 'true sine wave' inverter is basically indistinguishable from
    mains power, but typically costs more than a 'modified' sine wave
    inverter. My experience is based upon a Coleman PMP200 12V to 120V 60 Hz
    inverter which I believe is a 'modified sine wave' type.

    steve

    steve, Jan 14, 2004
  4. Alan F Cross

    Alan F Cross Guest

    Steve, thanks for response. The Nikkai will shut down when the voltage
    drops to 10.5, so no real problem if you leave it on unwittingly. Should
    still be able to start the car.

    It's modified sine wave - with true sine wave I don't think I'd have
    posed the question, because, as you say, it's as good as mains.

    Alan F Cross, Jan 14, 2004