    Any concerns about security or privacy etc.?

    Any catches?

    Better or worse than Skype or Google Talk?

    Chris, Dec 1, 2006

  2. Chris

    Brian A Guest

    I have tried it and it works OK. I got a friend to install it on his
    PC and then he called me on my phone.
    Just the same as other SIP phones I would imagine.
    No reason why you couldn't use an ATA with Gizmo.
    Never tried Google talk. The Gizmo softphone works straight 'out of
    the box' as does Skype. It is SIP's answer to Skype - it is a ready
    set up softphone. It is primarily for people who have no idea of how
    to set up a SIP phone. It features a ready set up echo test contact
    and 'party' conference line. It is easily possible to call SIP phones
    that are 'off net'.
    Equally well you could use a soft phone, such as x-lite, or an ATA (or
    SIP phone), and use virtually any provider that will supply a free
    account - there are lots of them. You just need to know how to set it
    up.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Dec 1, 2006

  3. Chris

    Jungle Boy Guest

    I've used both Gizmo and Skype whilst a low bandwidth torrent was running.
    I think the Skype gave better results. Maybe this is because Skype has various
    codecs of differing bandwidth it can use where as Gizmo (I think) seems to require
    more bandwidth causing lost speech when the connection is busy with other traffic.
    I suggest you try it out for yourself with other activity running such as a torrent
    (at both ends) to simulate real world behaviour.
    The Zfone (ZRTP) protocol only works with Gizmo, Skype uses proprietry encryption.
    There are cordless phones (http://dualphone.net) that support Skype. Dualphone have
    recently brought out a Skype cordless phone (3088) that doesn't require a PC.
    You can also get a version of Skype to run on a PDA (PocketPC) using a WiFi link -
    a kind of expensive cordless phone. I don't know of any cordless phones for Gizmo.
    Jungle Boy

    Jungle Boy, Dec 2, 2006
  4. Chris

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Gizmo uses SIP, so any SIP-capable device should work just fine.

    Paul Cupis, Dec 2, 2006
  5. Chris

    Jungle Boy Guest

    Gizmo is just a bit of software (like Skype) that runs on a PC - it doesn't
    need any hardware. The advantage of Gizmo is that you can talk to people who
    have 'proper' VOIP phones (usually businesses) or SIP adapter hardware to
    convert a normal phone to VOIP.

    A Dualphone could be designed to work with Gizmo's PC software, it's just
    that they haven't bothered as most people haven't heard of Gizmo or SIP.

    The disadvantage of both Gizmo and Skype has been the fact that you have
    to leave the PC on burning up 300 watts of power all day.

    The new Dualphone 3088 (www.dualphone.net) is different as a PC is no longer
    required (similar to a SIP adapter) to run the Skype software - I assume
    they're using an embedded Pocket PC/WinCE OS and the PDA version of Skype.

    Jungle Boy, Dec 7, 2006
  6. Chris

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Or you could just conmfigure an ATA with the gizmo SIP settings and use
    the service without requiring the gizmo software or your computer to be
    on all of the time. This also allows you to use other softphones to
    access you gizmo account should you wish. Of course you don't get the
    benefit of gizmos IM service, but that is not likely to be a problem.

    Paul Cupis, Dec 7, 2006
  7. Chris

    hairydog Guest

    All VOIP systems have a wide range of codecs and rata rates available,
    but some providers only support a few of them.

    In general, skype is better over low bandwidth connections than the
    standard open protocols, but not necessarily in every case.

    hairydog, Dec 10, 2006