  1. Paul Mathews

    Paul Mathews Guest

    Is it worth it in the long run..?

    Paul Mathews, Oct 23, 2003

  2. Paul Mathews

    SomebodyElse Guest

    I was told by the phone zombie when I joined up with telstra's cable
    that I couldn't use my own cable modem - I had to rent theirs. They
    couldn't give me any good reason, other than the fact that it was 'company
    policy' or something.

    And the gimp that installed it wasn't much better. Probably charging a
    shitload/hour to do something he didn't really know anything about.

    Told me there was absolutely no way I'd get linux to recognise or use it.
    LOL. It was really quite easy.

    Was seriously not impressed with Telstra/Clear/Saturn/whatever on that
    occasion.

    - Scott

    SomebodyElse, Oct 23, 2003

  3. Paul Mathews

    Paul Mathews Guest

    Saturn now list the Rental as a separate Item at $17, Ascent list a Cable
    modem that is Approved by Telstra..

    ** Note: This modem has been certified to be used with the Telstra Clear
    network. **

    So at $17 per month over 2 years it would have cost you $408, this modem is
    Only $231 at Ascent.

    Telstra is charging way way to much for the supplied modem, a normal Rental
    price is its price divided by 5 years..

    I would say that Telstra is recovering the cost of the modem in less than a
    year, that is a major ripp off.

    Paul Mathews, Oct 23, 2003
  4. Paul Mathews

    steve Guest

    Paul Mathews allegedly said:
    You're forgetting about the kms of coax up and down the streets of your
    town.....and the labour and equipment used to put it in place and maintain
    it.

    steve, Oct 23, 2003
  5. Paul Mathews

    Jerry Guest

    What does this have to do with the $17 month rental cost of the modem?
    The cost of the service pays for all the equipment and services

    Jerry

    Jerry, Oct 23, 2003
  6. Paul Mathews

    steve Guest

    Jerry allegedly said:
    That is an assumption you are making that may not be appropriate.

    Having priced a few ISP services myself, I know that providers have COST and
    the work to a an idea of market price....and the assignment of pricing
    components to specific items can be quite arbitrary.

    The idea overall is to recover all costs and make a profit. So you may put a
    slightly higher margin on those parts of your service that aren't optional
    - to mitigate risk from the fluctuation in revenues from variable charges.

    steve, Oct 23, 2003
  7. Paul Mathews

    AD. Guest

    Hehe that's pretty clueless of them. Aren't they just a bridge? There's
    nothing to recognise!

    Or have they updated their setup since I last used a cable modem?

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Oct 23, 2003
  8. Paul Mathews

    T-Boy Guest

    You're still "not allowed". Going to change soon according to the TS
    website - though it's probably said that forever.

    T-Boy, Oct 24, 2003
  9. The setup has not been 'updated'. Upon connection you will be allocated
    an IP address and told the gateway address and DNS servers to use.

    In addition, the installers have documentatiuon on how to set this up
    for the more common operating systems.

    If you use an Ethernet connection, then there are no drivers to install
    and all should be plain sailling. For USB, there is a CD with the
    manufacturer provided drivers, which are usually Winxx only.

    Michael Newbery, Oct 24, 2003
  10. Paul Mathews

    SomebodyElse Guest

    There was nothing to set up.
    I was using RedHat 9 and the cable modem was connected via USB. I just
    created a network connection and plugged in the dns numbers and away it
    went.

    - Scott

    SomebodyElse, Oct 24, 2003
  11. Paul Mathews

    AD. Guest

    Sounds like it's still a bridge with a static IP then. Cool, that's more
    flexible than having to use NAT or find interface drivers for Linux/BSD
    etc.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Oct 24, 2003
  12. Paul Mathews

    Jay Guest

    Makes very little difference except that you don't have to keep paying
    over and over for the same modem at $17 per month.
    Does exactly the same job - no better or no worse.

    It is better for the ISP because if the customer churns then they will
    have fully paid for the modem. I do not understand why any company
    would want customers to rent such a device, given that they are relatively
    cheap.

    Jay, Oct 24, 2003