  1. Jeffery Small

    Guest Guest

    missing the point entirely.

    Guest, Apr 7, 2014

  2. Jeffery Small

    sid Guest

    Selected where? you must be running something to be able to see files to
    select. That's not some sort of file manager you are running is it? And what
    do you think happens when you tap the spacebar? It runs some viewing
    software, so that's 2 things you've run.

    sid, Apr 7, 2014

  3. Jeffery Small

    PeterN Guest

    Are you talking about Photoshop CC?
    There are quit a few more choices. And there is PerfectResize, which has
    completely different algorithms.

    And the last tme you used PS was?
    I haven't used the Gimp, so I can't comment.

    PeterN, Apr 8, 2014
  4. Jeffery Small

    Guest Guest

    then you think wrong.

    Guest, Apr 8, 2014
  5. Jeffery Small

    Guest Guest

    in finder.
    finder is part of the operating system. it's always running. it's 'the
    desktop'. users don't 'run' finder.
    first of all, there are dozens of processes running, without the user
    having to run them manually, including finder. tapping the space bar is
    just another keystroke interpreted by finder. it does not run a second
    app.

    as far as the user is concerned, they click on one or more files, tap
    the space bar and see the contents for nearly any file type. photos are
    shown as photos, movies play in a window, spreadsheets are shown as
    spreadsheets, etc.

    not only that but users can even create a quick slide show or a contact
    sheet with multiple images, with nothing more than tapping the space
    bar and clicking on a button. this includes raw files, by the way.

    there's also a plug-in architecture for non-standard file types, and
    many companies provide quick look plug-ins for their custom file
    formats. they're easy to write too. all you need is the file format (or
    if it's not documented, figure out enough of it to show something).

    Guest, Apr 8, 2014
  6. Jeffery Small

    Guest Guest

    keep in mind floyd has never used photoshop (and readily admits it).
    he hasn't.

    Guest, Apr 8, 2014
  7. Jeffery Small

    Guest Guest

    it's very relevant.

    it's clear you haven't used photoshop and don't know what it can and
    cannot do.

    Guest, Apr 8, 2014
  8. Jeffery Small

    Guest Guest

    according to *you*.

    Guest, Apr 8, 2014
  9. Jeffery Small

    Guest Guest

    thanks for confirming it.
    not just me. you said it yourself again, just now.
    quite the opposite. it's very relevant.

    if you haven't used photoshop then you don't know what it can and
    cannot do.

    you might think you do, maybe from what you've read or heard from
    others, but each time you say something about it (or about mac or
    windows for that matter), it's clear you don't know.
    none of that is relevant.

    photoshop can do whatever a user wants and so can other apps.

    the difference is the user experience in doing whatever it is.
    photoshop will do it with less hassle and in less time (and i've
    measured this by running both, something you have not done).

    Guest, Apr 8, 2014
  10. Jeffery Small

    Guest Guest

    there is *nothing* that photoshop doesn't allow. photoshop supports
    numerous types of plug-ins so whatever it is you want to do can be
    added if it's not already there.

    the gimp also supports plug-ins, but since photoshop is far more
    popular than the gimp, developers will target it first. that makes
    photoshop more likely to have fewer limitations.

    it's possible that *some* photoshop plug-ins can work in the gimp but
    only a small subset and not always with full compatibility.

    and you keep ignoring the user experience. although many things can be
    done in both, it's easier and faster to do them in photoshop in most
    cases (there are always exceptions, usually obscure ones that don't
    matter much). that's why pros almost always choose to use photoshop.
    they don't have time to screw around.

    Guest, Apr 8, 2014
  11. Jeffery Small

    Guest Guest

    try reading it again, this time slowly, before you stick your foot in
    your mouth any further than it already is.

    roger said he used photoshop cs5 for two of the three comparisons
    (unsharp mask and smart sharpen) and imagesplus for one comparison
    (richardson-lucy), with the blurring for the tests using photoshop's
    gaussian blur.

    in other words, most things were done with photoshop, and had he been
    aware of a richardson-lucy plug-in (they do exist), he could have done
    all of it in photoshop.

    so eric's statement that he used photoshop is very close to true.

    Guest, Apr 8, 2014
  12. Jeffery Small

    Tony Cooper Guest

    I wonder if Popinjay is reading this. You are using the word exactly
    as I used it, but I'm sure your tag team buddy will not object.

    Tony Cooper, Apr 8, 2014
  13. Jeffery Small

    Tony Cooper Guest

    I agree completely.
    Or say "Wow, that photographer knows how to use Lightroom".

    It seems that just going for good results is OK with you in this area,
    but not in any other area where there are choices of post-processing
    methods.

    Tony Cooper, Apr 8, 2014
  14. Jeffery Small

    Guest Guest

    it seems that you are confused. again.

    lightroom is one of the easiest apps to use to get good results and
    that's why i like using it so much and why i recommend it to others.
    why make things more complicated than they need to be?

    Guest, Apr 8, 2014
  15. Jeffery Small

    Guest Guest

    the article eric posted says roger used photoshop for *two* out of the
    three comparisons and also for the original preparation of the images
    prior to the tests. only one out of the three used something else.

    you're once again, wrong and as usual, refuse to admit it.

    ...snip..
    what you miss is that people do *not* need to know about any of that to
    make good images.

    what adobe has done with photoshop is simplify it so that non-geeks can
    use all of the various algorithms while retaining all of the geeky
    features for those who are geeks. there is no limitation in the app.
    it's all there for those who want it and usable for those who don't.
    that's what makes an app powerful.

    Guest, Apr 8, 2014
  16. Jeffery Small

    Tony Cooper Guest

    You have an incredible ability to skew the point when you don't want
    to see/hear it.

    Your first line is "who cares...what matters is whether someone gets
    the results they want...".

    That thinking should be generous enough to allow someone to
    post-process in anything from Gimp to Photoshop to Lightroom as long
    as they get the results they want. As you yourself say, nobody [sic]
    is going to look at the finished image and comment on what method was
    used to get to that result unless they feel the image wasn't processed
    to achieve the results *they* feel is possible. Unless they're an
    editor who is buying the image, though, their opinion doesn't count
    more than the photographer's.

    The fact that LR is easy to use and produce good results is a separate
    issue. The issue you've commented on here is about the photographer
    getting the results wanted.

    As for "complicated", it's the prerogative of the user to determine
    what they are willing to do to achieve a finished product that pleases
    them. Amateur photographers are not generally on deadlines or
    otherwise required to be particularly efficient. If we - and I'm in
    that group - want to ten minutes on an image when you might get to the
    same place in two, that's our option. Since we haven't seen anything
    of yours, we're not even sure you can turn out results that are what
    we think to be acceptable even if you are working with an
    uncomplicated and efficient system.

    Tony Cooper, Apr 8, 2014
  17. Jeffery Small

    sid Guest

    Oh, you mean the file manager, that you ran by clicking the finder icon in
    the dock
    It's an app that's autostarted when you log in. It lives at
    /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app

    notice the .app at the end.
    So you are running the first app then?
    I'm not talking about "as far as the user is concerned". You said you don't
    have to run anything to have a preview display. I'm saying you do.

    All of this is pointless, I'm just trying to point out that your mac isn't
    some wonder machine that can do loads of things no one else can, it's just a
    computer and works like other computers. It's not magic.

    sid, Apr 8, 2014
  18. Jeffery Small

    sid Guest

    Alan Browne wrote:

    Your stats as provided by this company

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_Applications

    "While the statistics released by the company routinely place Operating
    Systems sold by Microsoft (Windows) and Apple (Mac OS X) with a high market
    share in the desktop computer category (through 2013), Vincent Vizzaccaro
    (EVP - Marketing and Strategic Alliances, Net Applications, 2002-) has
    stated that Microsoft and Apple are among the company's clients.[2] The
    company has also admitted that their statistics are skewed.[3] These
    admissions and the fact the company doesn't make their data sources or
    processing methods public, has led many to criticize the company (e.g.[4]);
    questioning their impartiality and the reliability of their statistics."

    You're never going to get true stats, particularly if all you monitor are
    www.microsoft.com or www.apple.com etc

    I'm not implying anything here, just pointing it out, that's all.

    sid, Apr 8, 2014
  19. Jeffery Small

    Guest Guest

    they can use whatever they want. i've *never* said otherwise.
    it's not a separate issue. it's *the* issue.

    some people, including yourself, like to make things more difficult
    than they need to be.

    what's the point in that? why spend hours getting the desired results
    when you can spend a fraction of that to get those results, with time
    left over to do other things? or if you prefer, continue working on the
    images and get even *better* results than you thought could be
    possible.

    in other words, be productive.
    it's not a question of deadlines or whether you think my photos are any
    good.

    why spend more time than necessary doing something?

    maybe you have more free time than you know what to do with, but most
    people don't, which is why choosing the most efficient and productive
    way to do what needs to be done is a good idea and that *doesn't* mean
    compromising the results, as certain people here claim.

    i'm getting the same (or better) results in *far* less time with
    lightroom than i ever did with photoshop, and i can still use photoshop
    for the occasional images that need additional work. overall, it's a
    huge, huge productivity boost.

    Guest, Apr 8, 2014
  20. Jeffery Small

    Guest Guest

    although finder manages files, it's not a 'file manager'. it does a lot
    more (some of which rather poorly but that's another discussion
    entirely).
    notice that it's buried in the system and *not* in the applications
    folder.

    while it might technically be an app, it isn't an app to the user. most
    users wouldn't know to look there anyway. finder is part of the system.
    it's the desktop that the user sees.

    you also forgot the dock app and various other apps and processes that
    also are running, and none of those are considered to be 'apps' even
    though technically some are.
    finder is always running.

    all the user does is select one or more images and tap the space bar.

    that's as easy as it gets, but apparently even that is too complicated
    for you.
    and you're wrong.

    tapping a space bar is not 'running an app'. it's utilizing a feature
    that's built into an app that is part of the operating system and
    always running.
    that's true. you're arguing over stupid details.

    whether you consider finder to be an app or not doesn't change how easy
    it is to sample nearly any document on the hard drive.

    call it an app if you want. it's still just a tap of the space bar.

    there are no apps to run, no commands to type in (and correcting any
    typos) or anything else.

    what have you got against simplicity and straightforward user
    interfaces?
    true to an extent. although it is a computer, it does many things
    better than other computers and other things not as well. overall, the
    user experience is much better, a concept that is *totally* lost on
    you.

    Guest, Apr 8, 2014