    As for the OP being a troll, why would anyone come back to the group
    if the original question has been answered, and then the thread
    deteriorates into a Gimp vs Photoshop battle of the witless?

    Tony Cooper, Apr 6, 2014

  2. Jeffery Small

    Guest Guest

    the goal is to get the task done in the most efficient way possible.

    that might mean trying something new or it might not. the gimp is not
    the only solution out there. far from it. have an open mind, for a
    change.

    if the gimp can do it, that's great, but if something else can do a
    better job, more easily and/or with less hassle, that's even better.
    they did that 20 years ago.

    today, everyone knows photoshop is excellent and the standard to which
    everything else is compared.

    Guest, Apr 6, 2014

  3. Jeffery Small

    Guest Guest

    nonsense.

    that is absolutely, without question, completely and utterly false.

    the more you comment on photoshop, mac and windows, the more clear it
    is you know absolutely nothing about any of them.
    and uninterested in other options that might be easier and/or better.

    that's too bad for him (and others in a similar situation).

    Guest, Apr 6, 2014
  4. Jeffery Small

    Guest Guest

    very true, and with photoshop elements being around $50, it's actually
    cheaper than dealing with the gimp when you consider the time and
    effort spent. elements is faster, easier to use and does substantially
    more than the gimp (including older versions which can be had for even
    less money).
    yep.

    there's a reason why photoshop is the dominant tool, because it has
    earned it.

    Guest, Apr 6, 2014
  5. Jeffery Small

    Guest Guest

    ad hominem and also wrong.

    standard response from you though.

    Guest, Apr 6, 2014
  6. Jeffery Small

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Yes, we know all of that. You've posted this so many times that you
    might as well set up a macro for it. You aren't informing anyone of
    anything new. It's just a thread extender.

    It's not like anyone has ever come back and said "Gee! I didn't know
    that. I'll order some version of Photoshop immediately. Thanks for
    letting me know."

    Tony Cooper, Apr 6, 2014
  7. Jeffery Small

    Guest Guest

    and the list keeps getting longer.
    very, very few and nothing that's particularly common or all that
    useful.
    as they can with iphoto, picasa, and zillions of other apps. most
    people don't need much.

    if your needs are simple then even the gimp is overkill.
    bullshit.

    for instance, our resident gimp zealot readily admits he has never used
    photoshop.
    nowhere near as many as photoshop users.

    Guest, Apr 7, 2014
  8. Jeffery Small

    Guest Guest

    nothing wrong with that. just don't go saying the gimp is the
    equivalent of photoshop when it's clearly not.
    if the tasks you want to do are difficult with one app or you
    experience problems and that same task can be done easily and without
    problems in another app, then why screw around with the former? switch
    to the app that does what you need without hassles.
    nothing to make up about you. it's clear that your needs are simple.

    Guest, Apr 7, 2014
  9. Jeffery Small

    Guest Guest

    i haven't changed my mind at all. using the gimp is less efficient.

    this is easily shown by the number of steps required and the time it
    takes to do the vast majority of tasks.
    what might those be?
    if they haven't been integrated then they don't count.
    nope.

    what bothers me is when people say the gimp is a photoshop replacement
    when it's clearly not, or what floyd does, where he says those that
    don't use the gimp are too stupid to understand it.
    straw man.

    Guest, Apr 7, 2014
  10. Jeffery Small

    Guest Guest

    or the same number of photos in 1/10 to 1/100th the time.

    that's what more efficient means.
    nope.

    if someone likes making things more difficult than it needs to be, go
    for it.

    just don't fault others for pointing out that there are much easier and
    simpler ways to do things.

    Guest, Apr 7, 2014
  11. Jeffery Small

    Guest Guest

    then you aren't pushing either one very hard.
    depends how often you do that particular task and how much work you
    want to expend doing it. if it's a one time thing then it won't matter
    much. on the other hand, if you expect to be doing that task a lot then
    it's worth finding a better tool. it will pay off in the long run.

    Guest, Apr 7, 2014
  12. Floyd:

    Thanks again for all of the very helpful information. I'll keep working
    with UFRaw until I master its capabilities!

    Regards,

    Jeffery Small, Apr 7, 2014
  13. No I haven't. I see both in the software repository and I'll take a look at
    each of them. Thanks Neil!

    Regards,

    Jeffery Small, Apr 7, 2014
  14. Thanks Tony. Spot on. Floyd has been extremely helpful.

    And I certainly didn't wish to start a flame war about either the OS or the
    software. I was only interested in seeing if other Sony/Minolta users were
    experiencing the same results as I, so that I could isolate the problem to
    either the software or to my use of it.

    Regards,

    Jeffery Small, Apr 7, 2014
  15. No trolling here. Using helpful pointers from others, I have been working
    with adjustments to UFRaw and have gotten closer to a reasonable picture,
    while at the same time discovering that the software build I am using may
    have some problems compared to a later release. Alan, if I didn't reply
    directly to your post, it may be that it got missed in all the noise!
    Sorry about that. I do try to follow up to, or acknowledge the help of
    others. I've been away today and only just started to go through the many
    posts to this group.

    Regards,

    Jeffery Small, Apr 7, 2014
  16. Jeffery Small

    Guest Guest

    and with similar limitations.
    once again, more work than needed. on a mac, there's no need to run
    anything (especially using a command line). a simple tap of the space
    bar gives a quick look of nearly any file (photos, pdfs, spreadsheets,
    zip files and much more), which is why it's called quick look.

    Guest, Apr 7, 2014
  17. Jeffery Small

    sid Guest

    what limitations are these?
    So how does quick look know which file you would like to see?

    sid, Apr 7, 2014
  18. Jeffery Small

    Guest Guest

    nonsense. *everything* has limitations, even dcraw.
    also wrong.

    you, however, cannot admit you're wrong and will argue forever.
    that's more than a quick look and you once again are talking out your
    ass.

    quick look requires the file (how could it not?) and can easily show a
    histogram or anything else based on the contents of the file. there's
    not much demand for that so it's not a standard feature but it would be
    trivial to write a plug-in to implement it, if the user wanted to.
    not as common as adobe camera raw, which is what is almost always used
    for comparisons and what dpreview has standardized on for many, many
    years.
    why would i have a use for dcraw when i have a raw converter that does
    a better job and in less time?

    the problem is you can't see beyond dcraw. that's all you know.

    Guest, Apr 7, 2014
  19. Jeffery Small

    Guest Guest

    everything has limitations and dcraw is no different. among its
    limitations are it's speed, quality and supported cameras, as well as
    its user interface.
    the ones you have selected. obviously.

    Guest, Apr 7, 2014
  20. No. There appears to be some problem with the 0.19.2 build on my system.
    When I get a free slot, I will try to build a later version which people are
    reporting does seem to work.

    Regards,

    Jeffery Small, Apr 7, 2014