    manual focus easily? (You really need an LCD screen where you can see the
    focus area extremely well.) Or is this something that sounds like a good
    option but isn't really practical? TIA

    Catherine Jo Morgan, Nov 4, 2003

  2. Catherine Jo Morgan

    Drifter Guest

    Borrowed a friend's Canon G2 and tried manual focus. Hmm. No luck so far. It
    To be honest that's one of the reasons I finally went to a DSLR.
    Control over my picture taking, including focus. Of course I had
    planned on going DSLR anyway so I guess I was really looking for an
    excuse.

    A friend tells me that the Olympus C-750 works well, here say though,
    I haven't used it myself.

    Drifter

    Drifter, Nov 4, 2003

  3. Catherine Jo Morgan

    Bill Guest

    I'm not sure if this will be what you want, but I use a Fuji S602. Still
    available but it has only recently been replaced by the S7000, which has
    more MP and second media card is now an XD card. However basic features are
    the same. My camera has 49 selectable auto focus positions. Manual focus,
    however, is restricted to the center of the frame. Manual focus is done by
    turning a focusing ring on the lens barrel, much like a 35mm SLR would be.
    There are focus guide icons to help you ( > , < or a º when it's focused
    like this >º< ). Also, in manual mode, you can press the focus button to
    autofocus and then fine tune it from there manually. However, in any focus
    mode, there is a "focus check" button which digitally enlarges the center
    area of the frame so you can check focus. The only time it's not available
    is if you use the 6MP interpolated mode, since the camera is 3MP.

    Hope this helps.
    Bill

    Bill, Nov 4, 2003
  4. Catherine Jo Morgan

    Samuel Paik Guest

    I don't know what this sentence means.

    Samuel Paik, Nov 4, 2003
  5. Catherine Jo Morgan

    Bunny Guest

    Sony F-series are quite good since they will magnify the centre of the image
    for you to focus. Already the best thing can do with a LCD....
    Want manual focus? Buy a DSLR/SLR with big/bright viewfinder like D1X
    ....$$$$$

    Bunny, Nov 4, 2003
  6. The screen has three small squares that show the points that the autofocus
    will focus on. If you happen to want to focus on one of them, great. If not,
    you have to move the camera so one of the squares is right where you want
    the focus, then move the camera to compose your picture - with the shutter
    pressed halfway down. This doesn't work well when the camera is on a tripod.

    It looks as if the manual focus works the same way - you're only focusing on
    one of those squares - probably the center one. That's the part that's
    enlarged on the LCD screen so you can tell whether or not it's sharp.

    Catherine Jo Morgan, Nov 5, 2003
  7. Catherine Jo Morgan

    Samuel Paik Guest

    Ah, got it. The autofocus indicators have absolutely nothing to do
    with manual focus. You want to have a controllable focus assist
    magnifier. I don't know of any camera which has that.

    Cheers
    Sam

    Samuel Paik, Nov 5, 2003