    Looking at the site it seems to be a usb phone. I use voipcheap at present,
    anyone know if it will work with this on my pc. Any guidance appreciated.

    ted

    ted_radioham, Jul 8, 2006

  2. ted_radioham

    Max Power Guest

    It looks like the USB-P1K, details of which can be found here
    http://www.yealink.com/en/newest.asp.
    The voipbustermate software which works with Voipcheap can be found
    here: http://www.yealink.com/en/otherdown.asp

    Max Power, Jul 8, 2006

  3. ted_radioham

    Graham. Guest

    For a fiver more you can get a Vonage PAP2. They are easily unlocked.

    Graham., Jul 8, 2006
  4. ted_radioham

    fred Guest

    Rubbish! They are £40 to buy unlocked as the Vonage ones stocked in places
    like Comet have dried up. Even if you DID manage to get a Vonage Pap2 it
    will be locked by the latest firmware thus rendering it useless for any
    other voip provider. I would go for the Tesco Phone if I were you Ted as its
    a good service.
    Fred.

    fred, Jul 8, 2006
  5. ted_radioham

    Graham. Guest

    Well if that's the case Fred, I am glad I got mine at Comet in the beginning
    of May.

    I regularly have both lines in use via Voipcheap.

    I think you will find that Ted is interested in the USB phone, not the Tesco
    service,

    at 2ppm for UK geographics, they can keep it.

    --

    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Jul 9, 2006
  6. ted_radioham

    JC Guest

    It's a Yamamoto USB phone which appears as an audio and HID in
    windows. Drivers for common systems are here:

    http://www.yamamoto-group.co.uk/index.php?page=download

    FWIW the Tesco software appears to use a skinned version of Cubix
    customised to their service. You can download the generic software
    here:

    https://www.virbiage.com/cubix.php

    This works well with any SIP or IAX provider, but FWIW I prefer
    SJphone. Both support the USB phones keypad and display without
    problems. The only minor gripe with the phone is the display doesn't
    show the incoming number, just the time/date and number dialed.

    The Tesco service is IAX based and any IAX softphone or hardphone
    should work with it. I've only tested Cubix, can anyone try an IAXy?
    IAX settings are gateway.tescointernetphone.com and your username and
    password.

    I'm a bit mixed about the Tesco service. It's nice that they've used a
    standards based solution, but SIP would appear to have given them more
    flexibility. Their proxy doesn't appear to accept SIP connections and
    there's no way to call or be called by other SIP networks. A SIPbroker
    shortcode is what they really need.

    The service setup is messy, giving you a choice of a few area codes
    which are incorrectly formatted for display. Minor villages such as
    Birmingham are not listed and London only has numbers beginning with
    '3' available.

    For £15 with £ 5 of calling thrown in it's interesting and a good way
    to get a USB phone if you need one. I certainly wouldn't stick with
    the service and if your planning on using VoIP seriously from a fixed
    location then you need a hardphone or ATA.

    Rgds
    Jonathan

    JC, Jul 9, 2006
  7. ted_radioham

    ted_radioham Guest

    Thanks for all the replies, I am still a bit confused, yes I just wanted a
    USB phone to work with my voipcheap, I also at times use voiodiscount and
    skype. Suppose the question should be then can anyone tell me what usb phone
    I can buy that is ready to go without unlocking or searching for special
    software ?. (In my ignorance thought tesco phone a cheap option, sorry )

    ted_radioham, Jul 9, 2006
  8. ted_radioham

    Meggahurtz Guest

    Not your fault Ted, you have probably seen the adverts bombarded on tv etc
    like the rest of us has.

    Typical of these major stores, fooling the public into thinking they are
    getting a good deal.

    Meggahurtz, Jul 9, 2006
  9. ted_radioham

    hairydog Guest

    That's how they got to be big stores!

    hairydog, Jul 9, 2006
  10. ted_radioham

    Ian Pawson Guest

    Maplins are doing on in their sale for about £12.

    Ian Pawson, Jul 9, 2006
  11. ted_radioham

    ted_radioham Guest

    thanks just ordered one today.

    ted_radioham, Jul 9, 2006
  12. ted_radioham

    jules Guest

    Interesting. My phone identifies itself as a Yealink P1K when I query
    it directly through USB interfaces... but it *looks* identical to the
    phones shown on that page. Perhaps Yamamoto are Yealink resellers?

    jules, Jul 9, 2006
  13. ted_radioham

    jules Guest

    None of them. USB phones are just audio devices and keypads, so you'll
    still need a softphone on your computer. They don't seem to be
    standardised particularly well, so you'll need a driver to make your
    softphone recognise the phone's keypad & display, unless your softphone
    already has a driver for a particular brand of handset.

    Unlocking isn't an issue for USB phones. The handsets aren't that
    smart.

    jules, Jul 9, 2006
  14. ted_radioham

    JC Guest

    Your right! I guess Yealink are more likely than Yamamoto to be the
    original manufacturer?

    Rgds
    Jonathan

    JC, Jul 10, 2006
  15. ted_radioham

    JC Guest

    Just a follow up. The drivers here:
    http://www.yealink.com/en/otherdown.asp

    ... appear to support the latest version of Xlite and also correctly
    show callerID on the USB phone's screen.

    Rgds
    Jonathan

    JC, Jul 10, 2006
  16. ted_radioham

    Georgia

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0

    The company I work for have recently developed some cool new software that has enabled us to build a prototye softphone for the Tesco Internet Phone.

    See www.phonefromhere.com

    It enables users of the Tesco Internet Phone to make calls on the move, all you need is your laptop with built in mic and speakers and an internet connection.

    We think this is pretty cool, however I should be clear, We are NOT Tesco and We don't make any money from this service, we are just prototyping our softphone technology.

    I would be very interested to hear anyone's thoughts on whether they think the softphone is useful or how it works for them.

    Cheers
    Georgia

    Georgia, Mar 29, 2007