Any help would be appreciated...

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Dave Nurse, Dec 18, 2003.

  1. Dave Nurse

    Dave Nurse Guest

    I've recently replaced my PIII 500 with a new AMD and laptop with high
    speed. I wanted to maintain the utility of the old PIII and attempted to
    upgrade with a simple NIC. The PIII did not 'plug and play' the NIC and the
    machine is now near death.

    The only sign of life is one long beep and three short beeps at power on and
    I am told this is the BIOS trying to tell me something. The machine has no
    output to the monitor, grinds away as if it is trying to load and then
    powers off automatically after about 40 seconds.

    I have also been told that perhaps the PCI slot I attempted to load the NIC
    is disabled in BIOS and that might have been the root of the problem.

    Any sound advice to bring this device back to life would be much
    appreciated!!

    thanks in advance and best regards,

    Dave

    Dave Nurse, Dec 18, 2003

  2. Dave Nurse

    dsr Guest

    Those beeps you hear are BIOS codes sounding out an error message.
    Sometimes a system change is so drastic that the bios can not get as
    far as loading the video subsystem. The beeps indicate what the
    problem might be and can be found in the error message list for your
    BIOS.

    Since the error messages tend to be rather vague I would restore your
    system back to it's original working build configuration. Even a
    system that is plug and play often requires rejumpering for CPU
    memory speed ratios. good luck!

    dsr, Dec 18, 2003

  3. Dave Nurse

    Night_Seer Guest

    It could be an IRQ conflict betweent he Video Card and the NIC, First
    thing I would do is remove the Network card and see if it works that
    way. If ti does, then move the Network card to a different PCI slot.
    If it doesn't, I would start removing uneccessary thing little by little
    until it does work. I believe I heard that those particualr beeps mean
    something is wrong with the Video card. Try a different video card, or
    else reseat your video card and/or memory. Hope it helps.

    Night_Seer, Dec 18, 2003
  4. Dave Nurse

    Trent© Guest

    Sounds like you bumped the video card when you put in the NIC.

    Take out the video card...then reinstall it...preferrably in a
    different slot.

    Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season...

    Trent

    Trent©, Dec 19, 2003