    thingy Guest

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Mar 6, 2007

  2. thingy

    Enkidu Guest

    Enkidu, Mar 6, 2007

  3. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Lol....

    I do wonder....hardly a month goes by without some agency ringing me
    with the "perfect offer"....except of course the job looks awful,
    involves travel and/or the pay is a joke....

    I see some jobs there for 4~6 months, you would think the employer would
    get the message that they need to offer more....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Mar 6, 2007
  4. thingy

    EMB Guest

    They never seem to. I recently applied for a job with a totally
    unrealistic set of experience requirements (I went close to them though)
    that had been advertised for 6 months. At the interview they mentioned
    the actual job description and I suggested that they needed to look hard
    at the whole scenario again and have a rethink. I also suggested that
    they increase the pay a good bit if they wanted to get the right person.
    They actually took my advice and readvertised it with a new description.

    When I reinterviewed and went to talk remuneration with them they were
    still offering the same pay for a job with much more responsibility. I
    declined to take it any further unless they at least doubled what they
    were offering. The job is still advertised at that pay rate.

    EMB, Mar 6, 2007
  5. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Not infrequent.

    At the interview they mentioned
    I usually say this to agencies...they usually dont talk to me again.

    I also suggested that
    Most employers do seem to be ball park, but if you are on $x why move
    for the same $x? (all else being equal).

    Some though are way off tack....so way off its incredible....like
    offering $60k for a $90k job....weird...

    The other ones I like are;

    1) Take the pay cut, move for the experience (this just so common).
    2) Accept this offer and we will review your pay scale in 3months.
    3) Yes we know the JD does not match the real job, but we cannot change
    it....
    4) The top of the scale would only be paid if you could do all what they
    want straight off....( ie see point 1)).

    yeah right....pass the tui....

    These days its an employees market....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Mar 6, 2007
  6. thingy

    EMB Guest

    These guys have definitely done that - I make significantly more money
    contracting part-time than they are offering. For the skill set and
    experience they are wanting the only viable applicants they are likely
    to get are going to be IT contractors who want a change. By the time I
    take their salaried job and start paying the 39c tax rate as well my
    disposable income drops so far it's laughable.

    EMB, Mar 7, 2007
  7. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Contracting and perm are different though....I used to contract in
    London and with so much work and so many options, contracting was
    guaranteed, in NZ that is no where near the case....so I accept less $....

    Sounds like they are un-realistic, in which case you going anywhere near
    them sounds like too much pain for you, just walk away....easy really....

    I would treat that as one of the warning signs of a bad employer...skin
    flints stand out a mile, and anything they do would get treated the same.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Mar 8, 2007