    usenet. People choose to do inline comments or top-posting (generally
    frowned upon, but often seen) or bottom-posting.

    You get used to it.

    chris, Nov 13, 2014

  2. Derek F

    David Guest

    Yes
    Regards
    David

    David, Nov 13, 2014

  3. Derek F

    David Guest

    Quote Colors Add On Download for it says "Not available for Thunderbird
    34.0"
    Regards
    David

    David, Nov 13, 2014
  4. Derek F

    Ian Jackson Guest

    As I said, you need to make a simple change* to the configuration file
    for QC to work with modern versions of Thunderbird (after about V5, I
    think!!!). I started on around V11 - and it didn't even work then (but
    why they want to play it this way, I don't know). If you want the info
    on this (and a couple of other useful changes), I'll dig it out.
    *Before you try to install QuoteColors.

    Ian Jackson, Nov 13, 2014
  5. Derek F

    Ian Jackson Guest

    I've found my notes. Email me direct (preferably removing the necessary)
    if you want them.

    Ian Jackson, Nov 13, 2014
  6. Derek F

    chris Guest

    Eh? Where do you get v34 from? The latest one from Mozilla is 31.2.0
    https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/all.html

    chris, Nov 14, 2014
  7. Derek F

    chris Guest

    Oh, I see you're on the 'aurora' channel. Well you can't expect any
    add-on to be compatible with such early release versions.

    Try stable versions and you'll get on better.

    chris, Nov 14, 2014
  8. Derek F

    Ian Jackson Guest

    As I've said, 'Quote Colors' works fine if you first make a very simple
    change to Thunderbird's default configuration file (well, at least up to
    V26, which is what I seem to be using at the moment).

    Ian Jackson, Nov 14, 2014
  9. Derek F

    David Guest

    It came via an update notification.
    It is 34.0 it says it is Beta.

    I run File Hippo and McAfee both look for updates so probably it came
    from either of them.
    Regards
    David

    David, Nov 14, 2014
  10. 34 is the latest 'beta' release IIRC. Some people like to act as beta
    testers ;-)

    The Natural Philosopher, Nov 14, 2014
  11. Derek F

    David Guest

    Ok I'm now on same as you, Thunderbird says It is the Release update
    channel.
    Regards
    David

    David, Nov 14, 2014
  12. Derek F

    David Guest

    "Qoute Colors is not compatible with 31.2.0"
    So no further forward I'm afraid.
    Regards
    David

    David, Nov 14, 2014
  13. Derek F

    Ian Jackson Guest

    For the THIRD time, you CAN easily make Quote Colors work with modern
    versions of Thunderbird (well, it certainly kept working up to V26, and
    I'm sure it'll still work with V31). It's all out there on the internet
    - but I've made detailed notes on exactly what to do, which I'll mail
    you if you're interested.

    Ian Jackson, Nov 14, 2014
  14. Derek F

    David Guest

    Attempting an e-mail to you Ian.
    Sorry not directly responded before was hoping for a straight forward
    fix so trying what others suggested first.
    When we edit the previous posts down it becomes a lot clearer even with
    the colour system though.
    Thanks
    David

    David, Nov 14, 2014
  15. Derek F

    Ian Jackson Guest

    Mail sent. Assuming it still works OK (and I've no reason to believe
    that even the very, very latest versions of Thunderbird won't play), I'm
    sure you'll be pleased to get rid of those horrible vertical bars.
    Heaven knows why Mozilla like them!

    Ian Jackson, Nov 14, 2014
  16. Derek F

    Ian Jackson Guest

    Just for the record....
    To be sure to be sure, I've checked that provided you do the simple
    change to the configuration file, the 'Quote Colors' addon does indeed
    work with a virgin installation of Thunderbird V31.2.0.

    Ian Jackson, Nov 14, 2014
  17. Derek F

    Andy Burns Guest

    QuoteColo(u)rs does work with 31.x providing you do the version hack, I
    can't see what you've got against the graphical quoting though, I prefer
    them with a few tweaks from the QC extension

    Andy Burns, Nov 15, 2014
  18. Derek F

    Ian Jackson Guest

    Each to his own, I suppose. One of the other mail/news clients I've
    tried (Gravity??) also uses the same vertical coloured bar 'graphical
    quoting' - and I didn't like it either.

    Ian Jackson, Nov 15, 2014
  19. Derek F

    Jim Guest

    OT. Any idea how to make it respond to everyone in
    plaintext regardless of whether the message being
    answered used the horrendously wasteful HTML ?

    --
    :: Jim, Wessex

    'I fear the day that technology will surpass our human
    interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.'
    -- Albert Einstein

    (Haven't you noticed this?).

    Jim, Nov 19, 2014
  20. Derek F

    Ian Jackson Guest

    Tools, Account Settings, half-way down, to the right of 'Signature text'
    - there's box to tick for HTML.

    Ian Jackson, Nov 19, 2014