    Woody Guest

    Did that years ago for just that reason. £15 for two years
    and all mail forwarded ain't a bad deal in my book.

    Woody, Nov 7, 2014

  2. "Invalid" wrote
    addresses (all of which arrive in your inbox if you don't do anything
    special).
    I sign up to place an order I use the firm's name as the first part of
    the address - that way I can keep track of who is selling on my E-mail
    address.
    you ever do move on you can keep the e-mail flowing.

    I note it's the same system as Freeserve and Fastmail

    Michael R N Dolbear, Nov 7, 2014

  3. Derek F

    Derek F Guest

    Their present on-line offer is quite a good deal. Annual in advance line
    rental that equals £12.99 a month. Broadband £2.50 a month for the first
    year (£9.99 less £7.49) Anytime calls £5.00 a month and £75.00 cash back
    at the end of the first month.
    Derek

    Derek F, Nov 8, 2014
  4. Derek F

    Derek F Guest

    Thank you, I'll keep that in mind.
    It did surprise me. I never did use the Sky E-Mail address. I'll see
    what happens to my o2 address after my Sky contract finishes.

    I did keep an old BT one for years until it was hacked but usedDerek

    Derek F, Nov 8, 2014
  5. I think they have a list of sites associated with downloading. I've noticed
    with more than one ISP that downloads from certain domain namess get
    throttled even if I use SSL so that packet inspection can't be done. (I'm
    assuming there isn't just a blanket throttling of SSL connections, though I
    suppose some ISPs might do that).

    A young lad was taken by his mother to the Temple at Wong Tai Sin.
    He shook the tsim and took the stick to the fortune teller, who said:
    "You will have a long life, happiness... but not much money.
    You will have success... but nobody will know.
    You will create great things... but others will get the credit.
    You will be beautiful in your heart... but not in your looks.
    You're going to be an engineer."

    Gordon Freeman, Nov 8, 2014
  6. Similar in some ways, different in others. I used to work for Freeserve
    and have trialled a Fastmail account of my own in the past.

    Plusnet Support Team, Nov 9, 2014
  7. The Evening & Weekends and Anytime call packages are mutually exclusive.
    You have either one or the other.

    When paying line rental up front, there are no inclusive calls included
    in the price. During signup, it forces you to choose from either Anytime
    or Anytime/International if this is something you're wanting.

    Neither is the inclusive weekend calls we offer with other packages
    compatible with Line Rental Saver.

    You *may* be able to pay for Evening & Weekends rather than Anytime
    (£2pcm rather than £5pcm), although I'd have to check that because the
    signup journey doesn't offer that as an option either.

    Plusnet Support Team, Nov 9, 2014
  8. We use traffic management switches provided by these folk -
    http://www.proceranetworks.com/products

    That relies on traffic signatures to identify traffic. WRT things like
    SSL we may rely on simpler logic than say, the latest AAA video game,
    e.g. an SSL connection to a popular Usenet service will probably be
    identified by the destination IP.

    Regardless, it's unlikely you'd notice anything detrimental. This is a
    good read -
    http://users.plus.net/QL:F4B58B69

    Plusnet Support Team, Nov 9, 2014
  9. Derek F

    Woody Guest

    Interesting indeed, but where does e-mail and particularly
    Usenet fit into this hierarchy?

    Woody, Nov 9, 2014
  10. Off the top of my head, email and text Usenet fall in the 'Gold' queues,
    binary Usenet in 'Silver' (or possibly 'Bronze').

    As mentioned though, unless you're saturating your line, you're not
    going to notice. I can pretty much pull down binary Usenet articles at
    line speed (~70mbps) any time of the day, as long as I'm doing little else.

    Plusnet Support Team, Nov 10, 2014
  11. Derek F

    Derek F Guest

    Hi Bob,
    Some initial comments:
    Four times I have phoned the 0800 number for customers switching to
    Plusnet from another provider with questions.
    Each time the friendly voice told me that it is a busy period and the
    waiting time is 15/20 minutes.
    The welcome letter said that It cannot process my application until I
    supply a MAC code. Sky had said that if transferring all services one
    was not needed. Your support agreed with that.
    The letter does not mention the £75 cash back that was on the on line
    offer. Before signing up a person I spoke to said that it will happen
    after 30 days usage but she did not confirm that in her E-Mail answering
    another question.
    I am using Win7 64 bit with IE 11. I had downloaded Plusnet Assist.
    It went through the installation but it stopped telling me that I need a
    higher version of IE than version 6. Support told me that Assist does
    not really work and to ignore it as it really needs updating.
    I had told Sky that I would be leaving them when my year is up on
    December 10th. Today I had a letter from Sky telling me that the
    changeover will take place on November 20th. So I will lose 20 days that
    I have paid them for and start paying Plusnet early. Your support tells
    me that it all happens automatically without companies needing to speak
    to each other and that Sky should have used the correct cut off date.
    Your support said that if they had done that they would refund the user
    for the lost time. I doubt if Sky will.
    The on-line set up instructions for setting up Plusnet E-Mail with
    Outlook 2010 makes no mention of the settings needed for Outgoing
    Server, Connection or Advanced Settings.
    Derek

    Derek F, Nov 12, 2014
  12. Derek F

    chris Guest

    Yup. That's the problem when companies have these 'too-good'to-miss'
    offers. They can get swamped...
    Yup. I've never, ever used those installation programs in god knows how
    many years of internet use. They are a waste of space IMO.

    From memory the installation instructions are pretty simple; more or
    less plug and play. The router should come already configured with your
    account settings.
    Does this help?
    http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/outlook_2010_setup.shtml

    chris, Nov 13, 2014
  13. Apologies. Wait times are improving but we're not quite there yet.
    Depending on which department you're wanting to speak to, it can help to
    contact us at the quieter times (you'll have to forgive the call waiting
    decimals on this page) - http://csc.plus.net

    We've got over 200 staff at our new(ish) office in Leeds now.
    If you can provide me a support ticket reference/username or similar,
    then I can make sure things are progressing as they should?
    Within 10 working days of the broadband going live, an e-mail will be
    sent to you containing a validation link you'll need to click. The link
    is valid for two months. Within 30 days of clicking the link, you'll
    receive a cheque.
    IE11 incompatibility is mentioned on the requirements page. I think it
    needs development before it's fully supported. I think it can be worked
    around by adding motive.com to your list of compatibility websites.

    Tools > Compatibility View Settings, and add motive.com to the list.
    I can't really pass comment on this as I'm not au fait with Sky's
    cancellation policies.
    There's some details here -
    http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/outlook_2010_smtp.shtml

    The advanced settings should specify port 25 or 587 and SSL needs to be
    disabled. There's a few support pages that need a bit of an overhaul TBH.

    Also bear in mind that SMTP auth will not be enabled until your
    broadband account goes live, so you may need to use Sky's SMTP server in
    the interim.

    Plusnet Support Team, Nov 13, 2014
  14. Derek F

    Derek F Guest

    This one that said did not install popped a message up this morning
    asking if I wanted it to fix a problem. Looking at Programs it showed
    that it has been loaded.
    Will see when it arrives. I probably should have said no to the router
    as I still have a Technicolor one from when with o2 plus a Netgear one.
    Sky have not yet said that they want their one back. Been there. It seem not to cover everything.
    I set up the E-Mail address but got a sever error message.
    Derek

    Derek F, Nov 13, 2014
  15. Derek F

    Derek F Guest

    I tried at several times of day and hung up and waited until I had the
    time to spare to hang on.
    I'll see what happens before troubling you.
    Thank you. It is just that offers with some companies seem to get forgotten.
    I thought that might be the case.
    Stick around, I may need you again. Mostly I will be using my GMail address.
    Thanks
    Derek

    Derek F, Nov 13, 2014
  16. Derek F

    David Guest

    I now use Thunderbird for these NG and getting used to it but it is
    not handling this Subject very well, is it Thunderbird at fault or
    because when someone comments they are not editing out some of the
    previous quotes and also putting their comments in the middle and not at
    the usual end?
    Regards
    David

    David, Nov 13, 2014
  17. Derek F

    chris Guest

    I use Thunderbird with no issues. What problems are you seeing?

    chris, Nov 13, 2014
  18. Derek F

    David Guest

    Lots of the posts no spaces been different people, comments between
    comments, overall very confusing and not clear.

    I'm thinking it would help if people did an edit of what gone before.
    Regards
    David

    David, Nov 13, 2014
  19. Derek F

    Ian Jackson Guest

    It would indeed.

    However, are you still using Thunderbird's quirky 'vertical coloured
    lines' way indicating quoted text? If so, this is probably making some
    things virtually unreadable, and I strongly suggest that you use the
    'Quote Colors' addon. This changes the quote signs to the normal >, >>
    and >>>. [Note that to allow Quote Colors to work with modern versions
    of Thunderbird, you'll also need to do a simple change to the
    configuration file. I can dig out the information, if you want it.]

    Ian Jackson, Nov 13, 2014
  20. Do you see broken vertical coloured lines at the left of a post like
    Derek's last?

    Adrian Caspersz, Nov 13, 2014