Any good free spyware scan that I can run in bat file so I can schedule it daily

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC, Jun 21, 2007.

  1. I have a WinXP notebook.

    I created a bat file, that contains commands to run a Avast Antivirus, AdAware and Spybot from the
    command line in a bat file, that I run nightly.

    My firewall Outpost has a spyware scanner but I can not run it in bat mode. When I ran this, it
    detected several spyware program that I did not know about. However, I rarely ever run it, because
    it does not contain a spyware scan that I can schedule.

    Is there any free good spyware scanners that I can run from the command line in bat mode.
    I would want it to run and not prompt me and then exit on it's own.

    Thanks much,

    Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

    Contributing writer for FUTURES Magazine
    Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM
    Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP

    NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address:

    NOTE: My web home page: www.seldin.net

    Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC, Jun 21, 2007

  2. From: "Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC" <>

    | I have a WinXP notebook.
    |
    | I created a bat file, that contains commands to run a Avast Antivirus, AdAware and Spybot
    | from the command line in a bat file, that I run nightly.
    |
    | My firewall Outpost has a spyware scanner but I can not run it in bat mode. When I ran
    | this, it detected several spyware program that I did not know about. However, I rarely
    | ever run it, because it does not contain a spyware scan that I can schedule.
    |
    | Is there any free good spyware scanners that I can run from the command line in bat mode.
    | I would want it to run and not prompt me and then exit on it's own.
    |
    | Thanks much,
    |
    | Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

    SpyBot S&D runs by executed with command line switches and you can create a Scheduled Task
    to run on a regular basis or from a BAT or CMD file.

    "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe" /AUTOCHECK /AUTOFIX /AUTOCLOSE

    David H. Lipman, Jun 21, 2007

  3. Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

    Sebastian G. Guest

    David H. Lipman wrote:

    Isn't this utterly braindead for creating a single report of a likely
    infected system?

    Sebastian G., Jun 21, 2007
  4. From: "Sebastian G." <>

    | Isn't this utterly braindead for creating a single report of a likely
    | infected system?

    Absolutely not !

    David H. Lipman, Jun 21, 2007
  5. Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

    Sebastian G. Guest

    For the command line functionality this is clear. But running it as a
    scheduled task for a single usage, and then the /AUTOFIX switch?

    Sebastian G., Jun 22, 2007
  6. From: "Sebastian G." <>

    | For the command line functionality this is clear. But running it as a
    | scheduled task for a single usage, and then the /AUTOFIX switch?

    Who said "single usage" ?
    The subject line states... "...so I can schedule it daily"

    David H. Lipman, Jun 22, 2007
  7. Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

    Sebastian G. Guest

    David H. Lipman wrote:

    Implied by "spyware scan."
    Yes, this was about to be debunked as utter nonsense. Spyware scans are only
    useful is the system is already subjected to compromise, whereas after the
    analalysis by the scan the system needs to be rebuild anyway.

    Sebastian G., Jun 22, 2007
  8. David and Sebastion,

    Thank you for getting back to me. I already run Avast quick scan, Spybot and AdAware (AdAware paid
    version) nightly in batch mode. I also use Spyware Blaster.

    By chance, my Firewall (Outpost - paid version) has a Spyware scan that you must run interactively.
    I already had "real time" protection enabled on this software. When I ran a full scan using
    Outpost's Spyware scan seveal Spyware's came up. I was surprised that I had these on my machine,
    since I do run nightly scans of the above packages. I know that security protection is usually
    suggested by doing a layering of protection. I found out that Outpost is presently setup to not
    enable command line or bat scheduling for for their Spyware scan.

    That's why I was wondering if there were any other products that are "free" that you may be able to
    recommend besides the one you mentioned (I already use Spybot) that I can run in a bat file.

    As you probably figured out, I am lazy and do not want have to run interactively on 5 seperate home
    machines a Spyware software interactively.

    If you do know of any other good Spyware scan free software that can be scheduled and run from a bat
    file, can you guys or anyone else please let me know, other than the one I am already using
    (Spybot).

    I do know of several free web site scans, but again, that means I have to have each machine go to
    that web site to run the scan on each machine. Nice being free, but a bit time consuming.

    Thank you for your time.

    Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC, Jun 22, 2007
  9. Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

    Sebastian G. Guest

    WTF? Why are you doing such a nonsense?
    For what purpose?

    Outpost is no firewall. Why is this crap even installed?

    WTF? You have this thing permanently installed on a system?
    Why are you surprised? You intentionally installed software to make the
    system insecure.
    Yes, and it's quite obvious why this suggestion is stupid.

    What about 'sigcheck' and other trivialities which actually work?

    And why should should one do such a thing anyway?

    "any other good" implies that you would any good, or at least that any good
    one would exist at all.

    And absolutely useless.

    Now, would you please tell me WTF you were thinking with totally messing up
    a computer with a big load of crap and then wondering when it becomes an
    insecure mess?

    Sebastian G., Jun 22, 2007
  10. From: "Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC" <>

    | David and Sebastion,
    |
    | Thank you for getting back to me. I already run Avast quick scan, Spybot and AdAware
    | (AdAware paid version) nightly in batch mode. I also use Spyware Blaster.
    |
    | By chance, my Firewall (Outpost - paid version) has a Spyware scan that you must run
    | interactively. I already had "real time" protection enabled on this software. When I ran a
    | full scan using Outpost's Spyware scan seveal Spyware's came up. I was surprised that I
    | had these on my machine, since I do run nightly scans of the above packages. I know that
    | security protection is usually suggested by doing a layering of protection. I found out
    | that Outpost is presently setup to not enable command line or bat scheduling for for their
    | Spyware scan.
    |
    | That's why I was wondering if there were any other products that are "free" that you may
    | be able to recommend besides the one you mentioned (I already use Spybot) that I can run
    | in a bat file.
    |
    | As you probably figured out, I am lazy and do not want have to run interactively on 5
    | seperate home machines a Spyware software interactively.
    |
    | If you do know of any other good Spyware scan free software that can be scheduled and run
    | from a bat file, can you guys or anyone else please let me know, other than the one I am
    | already using (Spybot).
    |
    | I do know of several free web site scans, but again, that means I have to have each
    | machine go to that web site to run the scan on each machine. Nice being free, but a bit
    | time consuming.
    |
    | Thank you for your time.
    |
    | Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

    It is MORE important to practice Safe Hex and prevent infections than the then deal with
    malware after the fact.

    David H. Lipman, Jun 22, 2007