Any good alternative to Netflix?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by wunnuy, Aug 13, 2005.

  1. wunnuy

    wunnuy Guest

    Well, I've pretty much had it with Netflix. I've been with them for two
    and a half years and all of a sudden the last two months the service
    has jut gotten awful. Every week I'm listing some movie has not showing
    up, or showing up three or four days late (the last week I've had one
    still not show up, a week and a half late, and three movies show up
    after seven days). Three weeks ago I turned in three movies at the same
    time and they never showed up as returned, until I complained, then
    miraculously, they all showed up the same day. I'm certain movies are
    sitting in some guy's desk somewhere and he's forgot to log them back
    in half the time. I usually turn the movies over pretty quick when I
    get them so I used to get up to six a week, now I'm lucky if I get two.
    I've complained but they don't care.

    I need to find another service. I'm reluctant to go to Blockbuster
    because I can't stand their stores, the way they edit movie content and
    the fact they push out all the mom and pop stores, the way they
    overcharge for movies and just the fact (and this is probably a
    personal thing) when you go into their store, every single person has
    to hunt you down to greet you.

    Is there any other service worthy of my 20 bucks a month? Any help here
    would be appreciated.

    wunnuy, Aug 13, 2005

  2. wunnuy

    Alpha Guest

    It might also be the post office, believe it or not. I had suddenly
    appearing similar problems, and when the post office changed delivery
    personnel, all of my problems (lost discs both directions) suddenly
    disappeared for good.

    Alpha, Aug 13, 2005

  3. What movies do they edit?

    Michael Walker, Aug 14, 2005
  4. wunnuy

    Biz Guest

    Blockbuster does not edit movies period....

    If you think Blockbuster is pushing out all the mom and pop video stores
    what the hell do you think Netflix has done?

    Biz, Aug 14, 2005
  5. wunnuy

    Howard Guest

    Mafia dons don't kill people period....

    Of course, we all know they have other people do it for them.

    http://www.raptorial.com/Zine/b-buster.htm

    A simple search on Google finds plenty more references.

    Howard, Aug 14, 2005
  6. wunnuy

    wunnuy Guest

    Yeah, I figured it would be impossible to post this without getting
    this response.

    First off, Blockbuster (the stores) DOES edit video content. You need
    to do a little more research before making blind comments like yours.
    I don't know if they do it in their DVD online service, but the stores
    DO edit content.

    Second, Netflix does not set up stores on every corner that take away
    business from a mom and pop stores (who do not charge $4.25 for a
    movie).

    Thanks for playing.

    wunnuy, Aug 14, 2005
  7. wunnuy

    docdude316 Guest

    I'm not disagreeing with you about Blockbuster editing DVD content, but
    I have yet to see an example. Would you be able to provide one?

    docdude316, Aug 14, 2005
  8. wunnuy

    kelvinyany Guest

    "I need to find another service. I'm reluctant to go to Blockbuster
    because I can't stand their stores, the way they edit movie content"

    Just exactly how can a rental company can edit copyrighted materials
    without getting into the legal wrangling with the production companies?
    I think it's just an urban legend.

    kelvinyany, Aug 14, 2005
  9. wunnuy

    kelvinyany Guest

    kelvinyany, Aug 14, 2005
  10. wunnuy

    Crow T Robot Guest

    Crow T Robot, Aug 14, 2005
  11. wunnuy

    Black Locust Guest

    What a load of baloney. Prove it. Blockbuster doesn't even have the
    resources to edit content. The only hand they even have in DVD
    production(or VHS back when their stores carried it) is via their DEJ
    studio. Blockbuster DOES NOT manufacture DVDs of any sort beyond that.
    Any editing done to movies they stock is done by the movie studio prior
    to them purchasing the DVDs from the studio. It's true that if a 'rated'
    version is produced an addition to an 'unrated' version, they may just
    order the rated version, but even that argument doesn't hold much water
    these days. I see tons of unrated DVDs in Blockbuster now. Infact, I
    believe it's only some franchise stores now that "ban" unrated versions.
    Just about any corporate store will go the unrated route on 95% of new
    releases, assuming of course an unrated version is produced by the
    studio. I've recently seen the unrated versions of Cursed, Darkness, and
    Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle in the stores I usually rent from. And
    they have the unrated version of The Ring Two being advertised now as
    well.
    Ok, since we've(or at least you have..) decided to let the seemingly
    "perfect" Netflix off the hook, how about we attack Wal-Mart instead? If
    you're gonna go after Blockbuster for putting mom & pop stores out,
    surely you can't get Wal-Mart slide by.. They're far more evil and
    powerful than Blockbuster is and they put all various sorts of mom & pop
    outlets out of business, not just video stores. Did you know Wal-Mart is
    primarily responsible for rated DVDs being made available when an
    unrated version is also made available? They're so powerful that they
    can actually strong arm movie studios into producing the rated DVDs.
    They also play a big part in the production of "full screen" DVDs...

    All retail outlets are in the business of making money, be it
    Blockbuster, McDonalds or the hole in the wall Mexican grocery store.
    Some just do it better than others...

    Black Locust, Aug 15, 2005
  12. wunnuy

    Mike Guest

    I've heard this for years as well. I am wondering how Blockbuster is
    supposed to be editing tapes and DVD's.

    Mike, Aug 15, 2005
  13. wunnuy

    Nonymous Guest

    Resources? I'm surprised you thought that far into it. They don't even
    have the legal *right* to edit content like that let alone resources to do
    it.

    They don't edit it themselves. They require the studios to provide the
    edited content. i.e., they tell the studios, "if you want us to buy a
    bazillion DVDs from you that we'll rent, then we want you to edit the
    content such that it meets certain criteria".

    Walmart does the same thing with the music CDs they sell retail. And if you
    don't already know that then you've been living on another planet.

    Nonymous, Aug 16, 2005
  14. wunnuy

    Stan Brown Guest

    That rumor's been flying around for a long time, but I've yet to see
    any corroboration.

    Could you share with us even _one_ credible citation from your
    research to support your contention that Blockbuster stores edit
    movies? Please note: a credible citation would not be merely a
    repetition of the rumor, but would have to document specifics.

    Without that, you're at the level of a five-year-old shouting "is
    not!" "is too!"

    Stan Brown, Aug 20, 2005
  15. wunnuy

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Stan Brown () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    Blockbuster doesn't actually do the editing, but it is well-documented that
    they will not stock NC-17 or "unrated" videos. Thus, the studios often
    provide Blockbuster with altered versions that have been given an MPAA
    "R" rating.

    Jeff Rife, Aug 20, 2005
  16. Blockbuster doesn't actually do the editing, but it is well-documented
    Well that's interesting since I have rented the unrated version of Cursed
    from Blockbuster.

    Michael Walker, Aug 20, 2005
  17. wunnuy

    Biz Guest

    Actually there are several retailers who will not stock the unrated
    versions, but that in no way means they are editing the films. The studios
    CHOOSE to release those versions so certain large retailers will carry them
    as well....If you consider that editing done by those retailers or stores,
    you might want to rethink that...

    Biz, Aug 21, 2005
  18. wunnuy

    Jeff Rife Guest

    [top posting and lack of signature snippage fixed]

    Biz () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    I don't see anywhere where I said that Blockbuster did any editing.

    The problem is that there are 3 sides to this argument:

    1. Blockbuster movies aren't edited in any way.
    2. Blockbuster does the editing themselves.
    3. Blockbuster carries studio-edited versions because they requested them.

    Only #3 is 100% correct, but many people distill that to "Blockbuster
    carries edited versions" which in turn gets further shortened to
    "Blockbuster edits movies". This gets a "no, they don't" from people who
    know BB doesn't do the editing themselves, but rarely is the rest of the
    explanation given.

    I couldn't tell if Stan was of the of first opinion or not, so I clarified
    with the full truth (#3). He may have known this, but by saying that
    editing is just a rumor it may not be clear enough for the OP, and it may
    yet again devolve into the "well, I can only find that version at
    Blockbuster, so they must be doing the editing".

    Since some versions are *only* found at Blockbuster, I can see how people
    might think there was something funny going on, especially when videotape
    was the norm. Nowadays, it should be obvious to anybody that you can't
    edit a DVD in the back room like you can a videotape.

    Jeff Rife, Aug 21, 2005
  19. wunnuy

    Guest Guest

    How can it be corporate policy if any store can do as they please?

    Norm Strong

    Guest, Aug 21, 2005
  20. wunnuy

    Guest Guest

    I'm sorry, but I see only 2 sides; 2 and 3 are the same thing. The movies
    are different because Blockbuster asked for them to be different. Who did
    the physical act of editing is of no consequence. They were edited to
    order.

    I'm reminded of the no-torture policy of the US military. We send our
    prisoners out to be tortured by professionals from other countries.

    Norm Strong

    Guest, Aug 21, 2005