    have a news server
    Any good third party news servers about,
    Even better if they were free?

    Martin ©¿©¬ , Jul 21, 2006

  2. Try www.teranews.com. Their free service ($3.95 to register) has improved a
    lot since they were sponsored, from what I have heard. The only problem is
    that you get an small advert at the bottom of your posts now. I don't use
    it anymore as my BT newsserver is fine. If you want a higher download
    limit, no advert and binaries, I suppose their paid for subscriptions may be
    worth it.

    ss.

    Synapse Syndrome, Jul 21, 2006

  3. Martin ©¿©¬

    Whiskers Guest

    Make sure that you know what you are doing; if you haven't already, take a
    look at <http://www.adslguide.org.uk/> and <http://www.ispreview.co.uk/>
    (assuming that you are in the UK, as your headers suggest that you used a
    UK ISP connection to post your article).

    I would feel very uneasy about an ISP that required me to install their
    own proprietary software just to get access to the internet. Especially
    when that software has the reputation of being a real pig to get rid of
    when you want to, and doesn't even work on Linux. You do not need any
    'special software' (or 'our own modem') to get connected to ADSL.
    Correct. When they did it was not much good. Plenty of good ISPs do
    offer a news-server as part of the service. This list is not complete,
    Plenty. A web search is a good place to start eg
    <http://search.ask.com/web?o=0&qsrc=19&l=dir&q=news+servers>. If you're
    interested in text groups only, I recommend the one I use, which you can
    The newsgroup alt.free.newsservers exists to discuss them :))

    Whiskers, Jul 21, 2006
  4. Martin ©¿©¬

    Margolotta Guest

    <snip>

    Doesn't work on a Mac, either, IIRC (but I'd say that was a blessing...;o))

    Margolotta, Jul 21, 2006
  5. That would be very odd, given that America OnLine service (Quantum,
    Inc.) was limited to Apple computer users.

    America OnLine merged with PC Link and Promenade on March 27...I think
    it was '92 or '93.

    It was the addition of the OS/2 and Windows users that ruined it. Prior
    to that, it was quite a nice little community.

    rl
    --
    Rhonda Lea Kirk

    If you ever need some proof that time can heal your wounds,
    just step inside my heart and walk around these rooms;
    where the shadows used to be.... Mary Chapin Carpenter

    Rhonda Lea Kirk, Jul 21, 2006
  6. Martin ©¿©¬

    Plato Guest

    http://www.newscene.com/

    Plato, Jul 22, 2006
  7. Martin ©¿©¬

    Keith Guest

    Try Newsguy.com you can get 3 GB per month for $40.00 per year.
    They also have bandwidth blow out days and any unused
    downloading capacity is rolled over into the next month.

    Keith, Jul 22, 2006
  8. Ew.

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 22, 2006
  9. Martin ©¿©¬

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Martin ©¿©¬ .

    That's a new definition of thinking I wasn't previously aware of ;)

    Ponder, Jul 22, 2006
  10. Martin ©¿©¬

    woody Guest

    Martin ©¿©¬ @REMOVETHIS.plus.com wrote in
    Supernews is one of the best. If you want large band width you can buy it
    through a distributor for about $15. Sorry I can't recall the name but a
    google search may help.

    woody, Jul 26, 2006
  11. Martin ©¿©¬

    C. Carmen Guest

    Woody.....forget AOL! Their the most expensive broadband provider you
    can get, plus they don't have free newsgroups either. Get into
    cable/Internet (i.e, Cox.net - provides FREE High Speed Internet
    Security Software suites with AntiVirus, Privacy Protection, Firewall
    and Parental controls = FREE every year; plus FREE newsgroup
    subscribing. What you'd pay for AOL + newsgroups + virus protection
    would surpass Cox Communications provider's.

    C. Carmen, Jul 26, 2006
  12. Martin ©¿©¬

    Top Guest

    It happens that Martin ©¿©¬ @REMOVETHIS.plus.com formulated :
    Google free news server

    Top, Jul 26, 2006
  13. Martin ©¿©¬

    Margolotta Guest

    I had to read that several times before I realised that you *WEREN'T*
    advocating him using Google Groups! Enclosing 'free news server' in single
    quotes would have removed all doubt.

    Margolotta, Jul 26, 2006
  14. Martin ©¿©¬

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Top.

    He did ask for a "good" news server.

    Try http://news.individual.net/

    It's not quite free (10 Euros a year) but apparently a very reliable,
    text only news server. I don't use it myself but I know many that do.

    Ponder, Jul 26, 2006
  15. Martin ©¿©¬

    Jimchip Guest

    Supernews (and many others, I surmise) have a free trial:
    http://supernews.com/
    2GB is quite a lot, text-only-wise.
    After a month, if one doesn't want to pay the $...

    Jimchip, Jul 26, 2006
  16. For the archive.
    As you have a browse thru the margolotta post archive
    this is typical of the mentally unstable and usenet obssessed
    Sarah the margolotta, she has no contribution to make
    whatsoever, just posts in an infantile attempt to be smartass.
    Fat and useless sums her up.

    Prader Willi Syndrome, Jul 26, 2006
  17. Martin ©¿©¬

    Top Guest

    Margolotta wrote :
    Thank you. I thought of that about 2 seconds AFTER I hit the send key.
    Guess I should engage the brain sooner.

    Top, Jul 26, 2006