    curves. I don't use too many filters, and the soft focus, Gausiann blur ones
    seem to be inthe gimp.

    thanks for any help....

    joe mama, May 10, 2006

  2. joe mama

    RW+/- Guest

    Why not run gimp in windows and find out?

    If you have a recent high end computer then you should find out if Linux
    will even support your computer, and then be prepared for constant
    updates/upgrades, oh, and it is up to you to keep up on the security and if
    you have problems with your ISP's communication lines, well....... LOL

    RW+/-, May 10, 2006

  3. Linux won't help your attitude.

    Floyd L. Davidson, May 10, 2006
  4. joe mama

    RW+/- Guest

    Heh, but it might help his perspective.

    RW+/-, May 10, 2006
  5. joe mama

    joe mama Guest

    it might help both...and more!

    joe mama, May 10, 2006
  6. joe mama

    RW+/- Guest

    Then download some live CD's and find out.

    RW+/-, May 10, 2006
  7. joe mama

    joe mama Guest

    just downloaded the bootable DVD, and i'm on my way.

    cya, billy boy!

    joe mama, May 10, 2006
  8. joe mama

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    It works and well.

    Neil Ellwood, May 10, 2006
  9. Try out Gimp for Windows. The functionality of Windows and Linux versions
    are very similar.

    Gautam Majumdar, May 10, 2006
  10. joe mama

    Paul Allen Guest

    Although the OP is trying to escape from Windows, trying the
    Windows version of the Gimp is not a bad idea. I've heard
    that the Windows version is slower than the Unix version, but
    have not tested that out myself.

    Photoshop is the benchmark against which things like the
    Gimp are measured. Depending on your needs, the Gimp may
    come close. Or it may miss entirely. The Gimp (and Linux)
    don't really have color management yet, although some work
    is in progress. The Gimp works internally with 8 bits
    per channel, while I think PS uses 16. This might matter
    if you shoot raw and post-process in PS.
    It almost certainly will, but it's always a good idea to check
    it out before committing to an install. The easy way to do
    this is to boot a live CD like Knoppix. It won't touch your
    hard drive unless you ask it to, and it'll let you exercise
    all of your hardware.
    And constant exaggerated sniping from Windows partisans.
    I do a full re-install every couple years. In between,
    updates for security or bug fixes are semi-automatic.
    My SuSE system at work can be configured for automatic
    unattended updates, but I prefer to just let it tell me
    when updates are available and run them at a time of my
    choosing. My Fedora systems at home get updated periodically
    using yum. It's just like Windows Update, minus all the
    forced reboots.
    .... Unless you choose for it to happen automatically.
    Your laughter is hollow. Linux uses standard protocols
    and does not have problems any particular ISP's wires.
    There are some ISP's who are clueless about Linux, however.
    Earthlink is one. Comcast is another. If you're the sort
    that calls the ISP for support a lot, it might make sense
    to shop around for a better one.

    On the other hand, there are some ISP's that really are
    brain-dead. When I checked into satellite internet a
    couple years ago, all of the providers required a bit
    of Windows-only client software to deal with the extreme
    latency problems. And some broadband providers want to
    put a network card in your computer that may or may not
    have Linux support. Linux may be superior to Windows
    in terms of security and reliability, but some dark
    corners of the world have not caught on yet. It pays
    to pay attention to what you're doing.

    Paul Allen

    Paul Allen, May 10, 2006
  11. joe mama

    Stacey Guest

    Nope. No color management at all. No monitor calibration support, no printer
    profiles etc. I use linux for general purpose computing (have been for
    almost 10 years) but have a win2K box just for photography stuff. I wish
    linux had better support for this type stuff but it just doesn't. Unless
    you are willing to sacrifice quality to say you are windows free, you can't
    use it for this IMHO.

    Stacey, May 10, 2006
  12. joe mama

    Dan Guest

    I agree that Gimp has limitations. I try to use it sometimes but always
    GimpShop which is an addon that makes Gimp look like PS. At the end of
    the day its free. Linux has improved drastically on desktop in the past
    couple of years and the new crop of distributions releases is promising
    more functionality in userfriendliness area. Personally I used linux
    for over 8 years now. But only recently have I managed to fully adopt it
    to my needs at least on my work laptop in full 64 bit glory. I run
    vmware virtual machine in order to be able to run some tools needed for
    work.

    Regarding hardware support, it has come a long way. What you can expect
    is, to have a working system with some devices not working if you have a
    bleeding edge hardware. If you never used Linux before you will have a
    steep learning curve ahead of you.

    Also, if you are so sick of Windows, you can always give MacOS X a go.
    The new Intel based macs can run macosx, windows xp and linux.

    Good luck

    Dan, May 10, 2006
  13. Nope. No color management at all. No monitor calibration support, no printer
    Unfortunately I have to agree.

    However, if you're doing web work and only using sRGB you can run
    Photoshop under Wine - it's now a supported application on the
    Codeweavers list. Codeweavers Wine is a remarkably complete program
    these days. I've used it every day for a year and I've never seen it so
    much as hiccup.

    Derek Fountain, May 10, 2006
  14. joe mama

    joe mama Guest

    I may have to try PS under WINE. I downloaded GIMP last night, but haven't
    had any time to really try it out yet. It definitely looks different than
    PS, but also seems to have many of the same functions. One thing that was
    different is no thumbnail (that I can find) viewing of directories in its
    directory tree. Maybe I just haven't figured that one out yet.

    Thanks for all the help.

    joe mama, May 10, 2006
  15. And, I run Picture Window Pro 3.5.0.6 under wine. WFM.
    PWP 4.0 is out -- dunno if it'll run under wine: http://www.dl-c.com/

    Jonesy

    Allodoxaphobia, May 10, 2006
  16. joe mama

    Paul Rubin Guest

    I dunno about CS2. Gimp has the features you mention, though the UI
    is different from PS. Last I heard, PS has some prepress features
    that aren't in Gimp, and maybe a few other things too. I'm not a very
    advanced user and Gimp on Linux does what I need, though it's a bit
    confusing sometimes. Photoshop looks slicker but I don't know if it's
    really any better for normal users. I haven't used it much. There's
    a Gimp skin called Gimpshop that supposedly makes Gimp's UI more like
    Photoshop's. I haven't tried it.

    Paul Rubin, May 10, 2006
  17. I used it seriously for the first time last week while on a work trip
    (work laptop runs Linux). For my taste it lacks key features,
    including bicubic interpolation (or even better, any of the more
    advanced methods), and it doesn't support adjustment layers at all
    (which is a complete killer for me). The parameter values for unsharp
    mask don't seem to behave normally or relate to anything meaningful.
    There's no way to make neutral (in color balance) a selected sample
    point, let alone three sample points in the same image. It does have
    a pretty good curves tool interface, though.

    Then there's color management.

    David Dyer-Bennet, May 10, 2006
  18. Good advice, it runs the same there.
    Linux supports high-end computers better than windows, in general.
    It's the latest high-end gaming graphics cards that might be issues.
    As for updates/upgrades and security -- far better than windows.

    Yeah, mostly the ISP won't be able to help -- but my experience is
    they can't actually help with Windows comm problems either. They can
    only handle simple idiot mistakes.

    David Dyer-Bennet, May 10, 2006
  19. The Gimp does have bicubic scaling. Where did you look for it?
    Anyhow, for scaling you are better off using ImageMagick. It does it
    properly, which not even PS can claim to do (without third-party
    plugins).
    That is one thing it is missing, and which I'd love to see.
    No more or less meaningful than the PS values, just different ranges.
    Sure there is. In the levels adjustment dialog, there's a button that
    lets you pick your "gray point", which I think does what you want.
    Not sure what you mean.
    That is sometimes an issue. It is much less of an issue if you are
    not doing prints. For most people it really doesn't matter that
    much. I'd still like to see it implemented, but it's not as serious a
    deficiency as some make it out to be.

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=, May 10, 2006
  20. joe mama

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    I prefer the GIMP interface to Photoshop, but have to agree with others
    that the answer to your original question is no.

    An item not yet mentioned is the healing brush, or more useful in CS2,
    the spot healing brush. GIMP doesn't have it. Other than that,
    assuming you can live without 16-bit colorspaces and you can calibrate
    your monitor independently of Photoshop, GIMP does most everything needed.

    Bill Tuthill, May 10, 2006