    release date so I can go back and check later?

    I have a list of software sites and other resources that I scour regularly,
    but to no avail.

    DebB, Sep 5, 2005

  2. Tiny Software have released a public beta of a 64-bit version their
    free Personal Firewall:

    http://www.tinysoftware.com/home/tiny2?s=5375286922906778942A1&&pg=content05&an=tf64_download

    and the Windows Firewall included in x64, its more than you will really ever
    need, like someone said, its best to invest in a cheap router or NAT.

    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa, Sep 5, 2005

  3. DebB

    Imhotep Guest

    Imhotep, Sep 5, 2005
  4. What's wrong with the build in XP64 firewall? It's considerably better in
    resource ussage and latency than any other software firewalls I have
    tried...

    Mark Gillespie, Sep 5, 2005
  5. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Sep 6, 2005
  6. DebB

    DebB Guest

    Microsoft are a target for every lunatic with too much spare time and
    knowledge on their hands. This is the part of the reason that thier software
    is not a very attractive security proposition.

    I just discovered a minute ago that according to Spyware Doctor, I've
    already got a keylogger that's probably taking notes as I type. "Spyanytime"
    it's called.

    GOOD GRIEF since installing the XP software, just over 24 hours ago, I
    haven't been anywhere except the Microsoft site and a couple of innocent
    Google searches !!! I'm completely miffed about how this could've happened.
    I do have Avast AV that occassionally pops up and says it's blocked a
    trojan.

    Windows firewall just isn't secure enough I don't think. I don't know how
    the keylogger was delivered so I'm not sure how I'll go preventing a
    recurrance. I've got protection and that's as good as it gets until a
    firewall becomes available. Paying for Tiny firewall is looking more
    attractive by the minute.

    The unregistered version of Spyware Doctor doesn't do removals and there's
    no where on the net that offers manual removal information for this specific
    keylogger.

    I'm downloading the Microsoft Spyware beta, but I didn't like it much when I
    tried it last time, so we'll see if it locates and deletes the keylogger.

    If not, then it's into the registry we go!!!!

    DebB, Sep 6, 2005
  7. DebB

    John Barnes Guest

    Check MSCONFIG startup and uncheck anything you don't recognise. You can
    usually get the info you need there to go delete it directly.

    John Barnes, Sep 6, 2005
  8. DebB

    zekolas Guest

    Did you actually search the form, because this question is asked and
    answered about 2 time each week.

    zekolas, Sep 6, 2005
  9. There is nothing wrong with XPSP2 / X64 SP1 firewall. It does not however
    firewall outgoing packets, like many other firewalls do. I consider this
    bad practice, as if you are crazy enough to run untrusted software, it
    dialing home is the least of your worries (formatting your HDD is more of
    a concern).

    Mark Gillespie, Sep 6, 2005
  10. On that one we have to cut some slack. Anyone who comes in via the web
    interface has no possibility of actually searching the newsgroup, I'm
    afraid. The options for searching are either an NNTP client that gives you
    search ability (OE does adequately), or google groups, where we are finally
    indexed and searchable.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 6, 2005
  11. DebB

    DebB Guest

    Hey guys..... I did do a search through all posts since 1st of this month
    and nothing on free firewalls. If you have access to the information I
    request, and it sounds as though at least one of you does, I'd truly
    appreciate the info.

    Deb

    DebB, Sep 7, 2005
  12. DebB

    DebB Guest

    I've now searched the entire newsgroup, for the month of August, and there's
    nothing yet for a FREE firewall. Thanks for reminding me to use the tools
    and info provided ;-).

    I'll keep my eyes open and report back if I locate something.

    DebB, Sep 7, 2005
  13. DebB

    DebB Guest

    Hey John, nothing unusual in msconfig. I've searched the HDD in hidden files
    and folders etc, with wild's at the beginning and end of the filename, also
    the registry, but cannot locate anything using the keyword spyanytime.

    Now I'm starting to get suspicious because there's precious little on the
    name when I do a google search. I've caught spyware doctor out on other
    occassions, when it's reported incorrectly, and I've been glad I only had
    the freebie because it didn't get the chance to delete my files.

    I don't think this is one of those occassions though because previously it's
    always reported the correct name of the program and I recognise it
    immediately as not being the threat reported.

    DebB, Sep 7, 2005
  14. DebB

    John Barnes Guest

    I haven't seen any free firewalls except the built in one since day one.
    Now that Sygate has been absorbed by Norton I doubt there will be a free (or
    even working) version available from them again.

    John Barnes, Sep 7, 2005
  15. DebB

    John Barnes Guest

    Have you noticed anything suspicious in the processes on task manager? As
    you implied, there may be something bogus shown to get you to purchase the
    product. Not too ethical!

    John Barnes, Sep 7, 2005
  16. Deb -- There aren't any free (or even commercial) 64 bit firewalls yet that
    I'd recommend. Except the Windows Firewall that is included. (Same basic
    functionality as the 32-bit one in XP SP2.) This is actually a very good
    firewall. It's stateful, easy to configure, and I like it. It does NOT do
    outbound firewalling. But, frankly, that's not what I want or need out of a
    personal firewall. On the inbound side, it's quite good and I suggest you
    give it a try.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 7, 2005
  17. DebB

    DebB Guest

    DebB, Sep 8, 2005
  18. DebB

    DebB Guest

    Thank you all for your invaluable insights and recommendations. I've tried
    to trick the supposed keylogger into showing itself with the key combo
    ctrl+shft+Y, but nothing shows up.

    I've also checked the running processes, but nothing there. It's easy to see
    the 32 bit versions and I'm assuming this program would still be a 32 bit.

    AdAware scan results shows the currently running processes and lists the
    file names so it was easy to double check that nothing unknown was running.

    MS AntiSpyware didn't pick anything up either.

    I'm guessing this keylogger could be impotent due to the 64 bit. Just to be
    on the safe side I'm downloading a copy I found and installing it to try and
    learn more about it's location and entries etc. Doesn't mean to say that
    somebody didn't recompile it beyond it's previously recognisable footprints
    and that I won't miss detecting it once again.

    DebB

    DebB, Sep 8, 2005
  19. Hi DebB,

    See this link