    I am think of buying one but my line is far from ideal, and I don't want something that will only
    sync at a very slow rate.

    TIA - Adam

    Adam Lipscombe, Feb 9, 2007

  2. Adam Lipscombe

    Herman Guest

    Can't give you any advice based on experience of low sync speeds or indeed
    ADSL connection ( I have a fairly good cable 4mb connection). However, I
    believe that you will be OK for VoIP if you have at least 100k up and
    downstream, as the QoS on the FritzBox appears to be better than others.
    This may mean you have slow speeds for low-priority traffic, but this is how
    QoS should work of course.

    It is also particularly good at maintaining SIP registration. All other
    ATAs I have tried give up trying to re-register if they fail a set number
    of times. FritzBox appears to keep on trying every few minutes.

    Perhaps the solution is getting one from somewhere that will allow you to
    take it back if you are not happy with its performance.

    Herman, Feb 9, 2007

  3. Adam Lipscombe

    Anon E Mouse Guest

    The Fritzbox is a Texas Instruments AR7 based router. This chipset has a
    good reputation with long lines and noise especially when connected to a
    TI based DSLAM

    Anon E Mouse, Feb 9, 2007
  4. Adam Lipscombe

    John G1JOD Guest

    Last year I tried the Fritzbox 7050 on my 5KM line and it wouldn't hold the
    connection, dropping in and out of sync. Updated the firmware tried
    everything to get it to work. AVM were extremely helpful as well as
    broadbandstuff.co.uk, who I would highly recommend for there customer
    support.
    Of course this issue may have now been resolved and the problem sorted.
    It was a great shame as it was perfect for my set-up, I already had several
    ISDN phones and it integrated seamlessly with the PSTN and several voip
    providers. By far the best solution I have found at a reasonable cost.
    My line was 1mb and the snr using a Linksys router about 12, so was a real
    test for any adsl modem, however all the ones I have tried have all synced
    OK and held the connection.
    Maybe someone else can give some further advice and advise if things have
    improved.
    The user interface is brilliant! On a good line it would be a brilliant
    device.

    John

    John G1JOD, Feb 9, 2007
  5. Adam Lipscombe

    Dave Guest

    I've had one running for about 4 weeks with no discernible difference
    from the router previously supplied by my ISP (Zyxel Prestige 660R-61C)

    I've a 1MB ADSL line about 5km from the exchange and I am in Spain.

    FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7140 Annex A, Firmware version 39.04.20

    Receive
    direction Send direction
    Attainable data rate Kbit/s 1496
    664