Any examples of how open matte ruins composition?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Kevin, Jan 16, 2004.

  1. Kevin

    Justin Guest

    Jay G wrote on [Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:30:09 -0600]:
    Those stupid anti piracy dots are bad enough

    Justin, Jan 23, 2004

  2. Kevin

    Justin Guest

    No, worldwide

    Justin, Jan 23, 2004

  3. Kevin

    ThePunisher Guest

    Not in the UK

    ThePunisher, Jan 23, 2004
  4. Kevin

    Justin Guest

    ThePunisher wrote on [Fri, 23 Jan 2004 15:59:54 -0000]:
    If it was shown in the UK 16:9, and I know it was for some of it, it
    doesn't mean that that is how Joss wanted it shown.

    Justin, Jan 23, 2004
  5. Kevin

    ThePunisher Guest

    If he didn't wanted it shown that way, he shouldn't have made it that way.

    ThePunisher, Jan 24, 2004
  6. Kevin

    Jay G Guest

    Maybe he thought the numerous flubs in the frame would
    prevent the studio from trying to show it that way. Films
    and TV shows are made within the demands of a studio.
    Joss shot it in 4:3 on 16:9 film because that's how FOX
    wanted it shot, so they could open matte it if they wanted
    to. Just like how 1.85:1 films are often shot open-matte
    on 4:3 film so that the studio can open the matte if they
    want to. Just because something is made with concessions
    to a studio doesn't mean the creator ever actually wants
    it shown that way.

    Your argument, frankly, is absurd. I'd be like saying of
    an open-matted WS film, "if the director didn't want it
    shown in 4:3, he shouldn't have made it that way."

    -Jay

    Jay G, Jan 24, 2004
  7. Kevin

    Jay G Guest

    Right, because a film is never shown in an aspect ratio
    other than the one the creator wants. I guess all the
    world's directors wanted their films in 4:3 on VHS,
    but suddenly changed their minds when DVD hit
    the market.

    -Jay

    Jay G, Jan 24, 2004