Any DOS Experts Out There??

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, May 2, 2004.

  1. I used to remember a DOS command that you could do to create a text file of
    any directory on your hard disk drive. But now that I can make good use of
    it, I can't for the life of me remember the entire string! Here's my
    situation.

    I'm trying to create a text file of one file folder on my hard drive inside
    the DOS command window in Win XP Pro. The directory I want is on my F-drive
    and I want to place the text file on my C-drive. As I recall the command
    started something like:

    F:>dir F:\SIMS\Skins\Comics/s

    Then after that /s is where you tell DOS to create a text file on your
    C-drive like C:\list.txt

    But there's a step between the /s and the C:\list.txt that I can't recall.
    Can any DOS expert out there help me remember this little command?!?!

    --
    Kyle

    $1million US dollars to sensfan_luvslisa (at) yahoo (dot) ca. Change the
    reply. Money gets faster attention ;o)

    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, May 2, 2004

  2. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    Toolman Tim Guest

    it's a "redirect" - add this to the end of your line: "> dirfile.txt"
    without the quotes, of course

    dir F:\SIMS\Skins\Comics/s > dirfile.txt

    of course, you may want to specifiy where to put the dirfile.txt or use a
    different name.

    Toolman Tim, May 2, 2004

  3. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    Guest Guest

    Were you after this?

    Dir f:\whatever > c:\whatever_next

    Guest, May 2, 2004
  4. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    Unk Guest

    Add ">c:\list.txt" to your dir command, where "c:\" is where you want the
    text file to be created.

    F:>dir F:\SIMS\Skins\Comics/s>c:\list.txt

    Unk, May 2, 2004
  5. In Toolman Tim
    <tmayer541_at_charter.invalid> first attempted to communicate with pen, but
    the writing was small, so next used sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed it
    away, and then switched to spray paint and stencils but the cans exploded,
    so placed fingers to keyboard for this:
    Thanks Tim ... I got it to work once you reminded me about the > or
    "redirect" that was missing :)

    Sens Fan Happy In Ohio, May 2, 2004
  6. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    Guest Guest

    So quick, so accurate, (so kind to dumb animals?) :) Keep up
    the good work and , btw, you any good at dealing with inlaws?

    Guest, May 2, 2004
  7. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    Martik Guest

    And dir >> x.ls if you want to append to an existing file

    Martik, May 2, 2004
  8. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    Toolman Tim Guest

    You're welcome! Something else to consider would be the Windows utilities
    that do the same and format nicely too. You'd have to search this
    newsgroup's archives - I think the topic was covered extensively a week or
    two back.

    Toolman Tim, May 2, 2004
  9. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    Toolman Tim Guest

    I'm great with animals (www.tmayer.us) but inlaws? Now that's a sour
    subject...

    Toolman Tim, May 2, 2004
  10. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    M Guest

    To print folder listings

    Create the following file in notepad and save as Print.bat in the windows
    folder.

    @echo off
    dir %1 /-p /o:gn > "%temp%\Listing"
    start /w notepad /p "%temp%\Listing"
    del "%temp%\Listing"
    exit

    Go to Explorer => Tools => Folder Options => File Types. Scroll down and
    select "File Folder". Click on advances or Edit (depending on your version
    of Windows) and Type a name for the action "Print Folder Contents". In the
    application used box type Print.bat.

    You will now find when you right click a folder that Print Folder Contents
    has been added to the right click menu.

    M, May 2, 2004
  11. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    Richard Guest

    It's not a redirect. DOS uses two part commands.
    The > tells DOS to print the output to a file rather than to a screen.

    Richard, May 3, 2004
  12. Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

    Toolman Tim Guest

    You, dumbshit, should go RTFM...it is NOT a two part command, it is a
    redirect. I bet you don't know a pipe or a filter from something you smoke.

    Toolman Tim, May 3, 2004