    people taken under identical conditions, but can't find any.

    Thanks for any help with this.

    Spudnik

    The Original Spudnik, Nov 5, 2005

  2. Canon 20D, 5D, 1DsMkII......

    Go search the Fred Miranda Canon forum you'll find lots of real shots.
    Search on ISO 3200.

    Here's one of many....

    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/302335/2#2548079

    "Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
    They stood, and the earth's foundations stay;
    When God abandoned, these defended,
    And saved the sum of things for pay."

    "Epitaph on Army of Mercenaries"
    A.E. Houseman - 1914

    John A. Stovall, Nov 5, 2005

  3. The Original Spudnik

    [BnH] Guest

    Try 5D.
    I saw 20D's ISO 3200 performance on low light and they are horrible.
    [well .. still better than Fuji Press 800 pushed 2 stop :D]

    =bob=

    [BnH], Nov 5, 2005
  4. The 300D will shoot 3200 as well with the firmware hack. Like the 20D,
    it shows "H" for 3200.

    Steve Cutchen, Nov 5, 2005
  5. The Original Spudnik

    Chris Brown Guest

    The EOS 5D is *probably* the lowest noise digital camera on the market at
    the moment.

    Chris Brown, Nov 5, 2005
  6. The Original Spudnik

    Mark² Guest

    Any of the current Canon DSLRs...along with the 10D, and 300D with a
    firmware hack.

    Mark², Nov 5, 2005
  7. The Original Spudnik

    turbo Guest

    I use a 5D and was out shooting night images at 1600ISO this week, and its
    performance is phenominal- the noise level is so so low at this sort of
    speed ( also 3 or 4 secs at f8 to f10)... Let me know if you want a full
    size ( 5MB image- JPG not RAW)

    turbo, Nov 5, 2005
  8. The Original Spudnik

    Dirty Harry Guest

    The 300d has digic I instead of digic II so 3200 is a lot more grainy.

    Dirty Harry, Nov 6, 2005
  9. Yup. I use Noise Ninja to clean it up, which works well. And is
    pretty much required.

    Steve Cutchen, Nov 6, 2005
  10. The Original Spudnik

    Rich Guest

    Likely most of the image in those kinds of shots are still
    underexposed so in reality, the camera shoots with 3200 speed
    on a scene needing 6400 or better for correct exposure.
    Those "candle light" restaurant shots are typical.
    -Rich

    Rich, Nov 6, 2005
  11. The Original Spudnik

    Donald Gray Guest

    I'm about to invest in a 20D - I have seen several references to a
    'firmware hack.' - Is this a firmware upgrade as per Canon 'upgrade'
    or is it a true 'hack' as in not an official upgrade.

    I would be most interested in finding out the nuances of the beast
    before i buy.

    Thanks
    Donald

    Donald Gray, Nov 6, 2005
  12. Don't know of any hack for the 20D and it will void your Canon
    warranty and support.

    Here's some on the hack. .

    http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/digital_rebel_firmware_hack.html

    It strikes me as a good way to brick you camera but my cameras are
    tools and not toys.

    "For a Texan the names of guns and caliber numbers are
    magic; Winchester and Colt and Remington and Smith & Wesson;
    .30-30 and .22, .44 and .45 and .32 and .38-Special.
    You could speak of a Texas boy's growth as his .410, his 20
    and 12 guage years."

    _Home From the Hill_
    William Humphery

    John A. Stovall, Nov 6, 2005
  13. The Original Spudnik

    Al Dykes Guest

    I've been shooting with this setup and it works. I'm shooting under
    stage lighting in small clubs and the results have the "available
    light" look in spades, but they are usable shots when done in RAW and
    hacked in photoshop.

    Al Dykes, Nov 8, 2005
  14. The Original Spudnik

    Al Dykes Guest

    If it makes sense you can add the canon 50mm f1.8 lens and get a
    little more light. On a dRebel it's a 90mm 1.8 lens. Not too shaby for
    $70.

    Al Dykes, Nov 8, 2005
  15. The Original Spudnik

    Mark² Guest

    Not quite that...
    It has a field of view similar to an 80mm...not a 90.
    :)

    Mark², Nov 9, 2005